1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stock Air Box Mod (SABM) Review Thread

Discussion in 'Product Reviews' started by csuviper, Aug 16, 2015.

1. Aug 16, 2015 at 9:21 PM
    csuviper

csuviper [OP] Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    Those of you that have installed the SABM let hear your reviews.
    How was the following items affected:
    1. MPG
    2. 0-60 time
    3. Acceleration
    4. Higher rpm
    5. Lower end torque
    Please list if you have a supercharger with your review as the results of the SABM may be different from naturally aspirated.

There is a company called G-Tek Fab that sells the parts as a kit. Not sure if the company was the originator of the mod or if they just took the idea and made a product out of it. (If you know let me know and i will update this.) Here is a link to some info on their kit. Dyno tests were done on a supercharged Tundra.

IMG_20140421_212200_55adf553f2858c533942a926a694fe3977584861.jpg

Install video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uHNLFDZepxk&list=PLVM2dewTcYU0t4AntbjP2UvxVZvmU5zPN

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  2. Aug 16, 2015 at 9:51 PM
    TruckyTruck

TruckyTruck Dumbest Username

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    And maybe those same questions after 1k miles? I'd like to know if the ecu compensates and nullifies any gains.

Rica25 likes this.
  3. Aug 17, 2015 at 3:17 PM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    I was wondering when this thread was gonna launch.

I will say for the $60 I payed, it's well worth it.

Let's bear in mind that I have the 4.7 I personally dropped the ball on that. It will not happen with my next Tundra.

It has made my engine come to life with a throaty sound.

My acceleration is better.. no hesitation like before.

O-60 definitely faster time.

I went to York County, Sc and averaged right around 18 mpg. 1 mpg better.

I will say this to whoever is considering purchasing it. It's well worth the money. You definitely get your Bang for the Buck. Our Tundras have there own cai, so your doing a mod to it.

I am interested in Trucky's comments. It will be interesting to see.

Also I have no answer on the low end torque. I tow my lawn equipment and my buddies 19' center console and cannot feel anything, loss of power or hesitation. Frankly I don't even feel I'm towing anything.

Hope this helps.

Fernan6892 and bulldog93 like this.
  4. Aug 17, 2015 at 3:32 PM
    csuviper

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    @rons23 good review. Thank you.

rons23 likes this.
  5. Aug 17, 2015 at 4:08 PM
    dandailey

dandailey King Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan D
    Newport News Va.
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD 4x4 DC Tundra 5.7 Blue Ribbon
    Bakflip Revolver X2 ,Nestahedition Firestalk antenna, TRD dual exhaust, WeatherTech liners, in channel deflectors, 20% tint front, Tundra bed mat.AFE pro dry s filter,SA XDM 3.8 compact 9mm., Wheel to wheel N-Fab 3 steps.Lamin-X yellow on fogs, Bilstein 6112's top setting, BFG KO2's 275/70-18.Pioneer HU, JL RD amp, Focal speakers everywhere.
  6. Aug 17, 2015 at 4:09 PM
    rons23

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    Yes sir

7. Aug 17, 2015 at 4:14 PM
    rons23

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    I believe Gtek Fab is the originator, and his product was dyno tested from what I read.

8. Aug 17, 2015 at 6:50 PM
    csuviper

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    Dyno tested with a supercharged truck not a naturally aspirated truck.

Saltyhero13 and TruckyTruck like this.
  9. Aug 17, 2015 at 7:15 PM
    Virgils12

Virgils12 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Camburg Fox factory 2.5" lift Xd monsters with 295/70/18 nitto terra graplerrs Corsa cat back Weather tech liners Wet okole covers
    I think is worth it also. I have no loss of low end. It has helped mine in that department. Lugs the hills way better than it used to." Stays in 6th longer. " has helped my overall milage. Can't say 1-2 cause have seen up to 4 on different tanks. Just all depends on how you drive it that tank. I also have 35" tires a single corsa exhaust and a drop in k&n. So I'm sure all things help but am very happy with my sabm kit! Would I recommend.... Yes. Would I buy again yes! Short of the long don't check all the questions up there but yes it's for sure helped and have had it on for close to 9 months. Hope this helps someone on the fence.

Fernan6892, bulldog93 and rons23 like this.
  10. Sep 13, 2015 at 8:33 PM
    csuviper

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    Bumping this up to get more feedback

11. Sep 13, 2015 at 10:30 PM
    corc305

corc305 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tundra 4x4 TRD CM
    Earl's Rear Seat Storage / Dex's Stock Air Box Mod - Tundrageeks
    I had the mod when I wasn't supercharged and I was happy with it. I didn't see a loss on the low end and for those times when you need to get on the throttle, passing, freeway acceleration, it seemed noticeably more responsive. I agree with Virgils12 on the mileage, overall better, but slightly, definitely not worse.

In all honesty it is hard to notice a difference. 381 HP, maybe getting 385-390 HP just hard to tell. That being said I reinstalled it after the supercharger install. Again I'm happy with it. The other forum has dynoed results to back it up. I rarely really open it up with the supercharger, at that point fast is fast, hard to compare, but I do think it's a better setup. The stock air inlet, even with the accelerator, seems small considering all of the air demanded. MPG before/after w/ supercharger basically the same, within .5. I measured it less over a few tanks but it could be weather or being more interested to get on the throttle.

To those on the fence I say try it, I think you'll like it and if not it'd be pretty easy to cap the holes and return to a stock condition.

On my 1st gen I did my own version of an air box mod building from the ideas of others on Tundra Solutions. On the first gen, 4.7l, this mod was awesome. Definitely held the lower end of the gear better and just overall woke things up. I wish I had that setup for the life of the 03, most of the time I had the K&N FIPK on.

bulldog93 and T-Rex266 like this.
  12. Sep 14, 2015 at 5:58 AM
    thegigz

thegigz New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra SR5 Double Cab
    None Yet
    Just completed the SABM MOD over the weekend on a 2016 Tundra 5.7L

First, the payment through paypal was easy and the item was shipped out quickly. I got the SABM 2 days later, which was faster then I had thought.
    Second, the package came with all parts needed to install the SABM, including very detailed and easy to read instructions with pitctures. The package also came with a bunch of cool stickers (Gave the stickers to my kids :) ).

Installtion: The installation took me about 45 minutes, going slow and checking measurements 3-4 times. Once you start cutting you are commited (LOL), make sure the markings are correct.
    I had to move both of the ground wire clusters which were in the way of the new SABM. A bolt was provided to remount the wires in the new location. The rubber tube you get was a little long and had to be cut. It looks to me that the 2016 air box has slightly different demensions then the older ones (not sure). It was basically pushing the box out of square, in which I couldnt get the front bolt of the filter box on. Actually the bolt is still not in, I need to cut a little more tubing to get the box in the correct location (no big deal). I would have done it then but I ran out of time..

Performance: Since I only have 1,300 miles on the truck; I will not be able to get you any information on mileage gain, since I am still working that out. It definitely sounds more throaty and it seems way more responsive. I am waiting on the K&N filter to come in, currently using the stock filter. Hopefully I will gain even more when the K&N is installed.

I feel with the ease of installation along with the better sound and performance, it is definitely worth the money.

PS: I suck at spelling so excuse me if there are errors....

13. Sep 15, 2015 at 5:37 PM
    Murf55

Murf55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 Tundra DC
    3" lift, fender flares, 20" XD wheels, undercover bed cover, tinted windows, Nitto EXO 305/20/55
    Thanks for all the great tips and responses. That's why I wanted to join this forum. I get real answers from people who have already tried this upgrades. Look forward to getting started. Any suggestions on exhaust now that I take is covered?

14. Sep 15, 2015 at 5:39 PM
    Virgils12

Virgils12 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Camburg Fox factory 2.5" lift Xd monsters with 295/70/18 nitto terra graplerrs Corsa cat back Weather tech liners Wet okole covers
    Single corsa!!! :thumbsup: :popcorn:

TruckyTruck likes this.
  15. Sep 15, 2015 at 6:00 PM
    corc305

corc305 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Vehicle:
    It''s pricey but I went with the TRD duals because I think they tested and dynoed over 50 configurations, why would I think I could do better? If you like a little growl the duals will leave you wanting more. On the plus side it's a subtle rumble that doesn't drone or interfere with music, conversations etc... Just enough to put my sweet 5 month old girl to sleep on the freeway!

That said I would strongly consider the Dirtydeeds option. They can customize the tone and they know the Tundra and will preserve the low end. Down the road I can see myself modding my duals, but $$ is a factor.

MotoTundra and dandailey like this.
  16. Sep 15, 2015 at 6:28 PM
    Murf55

Murf55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 Tundra DC
    3" lift, fender flares, 20" XD wheels, undercover bed cover, tinted windows, Nitto EXO 305/20/55
    Great option.

17. Sep 15, 2015 at 6:53 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    You know every time I get on this site I want to buy more stuff for my truck....

I have to say my truck has stock intake and stock exhaust. I can't stand how it sounds like a Corolla. I had a TRD CAI and TRD exhaust on my Tacoma and I loved the sound. I miss it. I need to do something but can't justify spending the money at the moment. The SABM and a Corsa or TRD may be the cure!

18. Sep 15, 2015 at 6:55 PM
    csuviper

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    sharkmango likes this.
  19. Sep 15, 2015 at 9:27 PM
    Murf55

Murf55 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Knoxville, TN
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 Tundra DC
    Any
    problems with whistling at low rpms or loss of low end torque?

20. Sep 15, 2015 at 9:41 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Check your other greeting thread.

I'm going to throw my two cents in on this one. The problem with this mod, is that the ecu in our trucks makes every attempt to override this type of modification. A lot of times modding the air intake or exhaust will cause the truck to lose low end tq. If you had a blower on your truck it might help, but no one is really sure on this particular mod because there is no dyno proof for a naturally aspirated truck. So.... That being said, If you decide to do this, maybe you could get your truck on a dyno!

21. Sep 15, 2015 at 9:46 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    Either of you thought about getting your trucks on a dyno after this mod?

22. Dec 8, 2015 at 9:22 AM
    pipeliner

pipeliner New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 1794 Edition, Attitude Black Metallic
    No mods yet. Need to get the bugs worked out first.
    How's life with this mod on your air box? What have you noticed?

23. Dec 18, 2015 at 3:13 AM
    PolarbearTRD

PolarbearTRD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Newton Nh
    Vehicle:
    2015 white crewmax TRD
    Carbon fiber wrap trim interior. Carbon fiber pillars, yitamotor 6000k led headlights. Rigid industries 50" led light bar,
    Ok...not to be an idiot but this is the first i have heard/ read of this mod....what is it and where can I buy it or can it be a diy mod...just curious? ?

Performance wise I have only added a k&n drop in..

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 18, 2015
  24. Dec 18, 2015 at 5:15 AM
    AMRE2ME2

AMRE2ME2 New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2016 DC 4x4 Limited TRD
    PBTRD, do your research before doing this mod. There is no Dyno proof that this mod does anything for your truck and the company selling these has never posted Dyno results to prove any advertised gains. Makes you wonder why. Common sense would make you think if the Dyno results showed the advertised gains, they would post them. If the Dyno results showed a clear HP gain, a lot more guys would buy this mod, I would.

25. Dec 18, 2015 at 4:12 PM
    TruckyTruck

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Texas
    They did post dyno results, but it was only on a supercharged truck. I don't think it was much of a gain at that.

I know this won't be very popular to those who have done this mod, but I'll say it anyway.

Most likely what will happen with doing this on a naturally aspirated truck will only result in a loss of low end torque. Even changing from the factory paper filter to a k&n or afe filter will hurt low end tq.

For those without a blower, stick with the factory cold air setup. It's literally the best you will do with the intake.

26. Dec 28, 2015 at 9:46 PM
    csuviper

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    Ok guys. I'm going to ask again, how is the kit working for you guys. Are you happy with the results?

Look for a cheap mod write up from me soon on an alternative.

27. Dec 28, 2015 at 10:30 PM
    corc305

corc305 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Corey
    Vehicle:
    I'm happy enough with the results. Do I regret installing it - no. Would I install it after having the experience of driving it - eh maybe not in hindsight. On a SC'd Tundra it's probably a .8%-1% increase. Here is a link which includes dyno results on a SC'd Tundra. http://tundrageeks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8902&page=2

I had it setup before and after the supercharger. I think the fabricator of these is willing to provide one for free to anyone willing to dyno their NA Tundra. Without having dynoed mine as an NA I would guess it increases overall HP but changes the TQ curve bringing on TQ later in the RPM range. Whether that is desirable to you depends on your preference.

If you like tinkering and trying things it's a relatively low cost for his setup vs a CAI, plus it's better than an open air CAI. I did an airbox mod on my 1st gen and loved it, so I had to try it.

In the end it doesn't affect performance that much. My $.02.

28. Apr 13, 2019 at 4:37 PM
    ksuma831

ksuma831 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    California Monterey county area
    Vehicle:
    2018 Toyota tundra
    Sabm kit
    I did this to my 2018 Tundra a few months back ,and I did notice a slight increase in power and acceleration, gas mileage about +1 mpg But the growl was very noticeable, I did not buy the actual gtek sabm kit.. I just ordered these parts on Amazon and i bought some silicon and used that to seal it.. Over all it was easy I used a Dremel to cut the ridges in the air duct took me about 30 minutes

I ordered two of those air duct mounting plates..

IMG_20190413_102844.jpg
    Screenshot_Chrome_20190413-162722__01.jpg
    Screenshot_Chrome_20190413-163120__01.jpg
    Screenshot_Chrome_20190413-163500__01.jpg

Last edited: Apr 13, 2019
  29. May 4, 2019 at 4:38 AM
    Tracker

Tracker New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shane
    Colorado, Denver Burbs
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Tundra SR5 Lifted
    Pro Comp Lift, towing mirrors, Fuel rims, Toyo A/T, Nav, Viper remote start
    How has it been now that you have had it in for a few miles?

30. May 4, 2019 at 5:07 AM
    Ironjaw

Ironjaw Taxation is theft

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurtis
    Pendleton IN
    Vehicle:
    '19 Quicksand Tundra TRD
    My brother has an 03 Tundra, and his birthday is coming up. Will this SABM work on it? If so, could someone post a link to what all I need to order, please and thanks in advance.

Products Discussed in

To Top