1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stiff spot in steering

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by 10 blue trucks, Feb 2, 2023.

1. Feb 2, 2023 at 7:07 PM
    10 blue trucks

10 blue trucks [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 4WD RCLB
    The 04 acquired a resistance in the steering wheel recently. From center, wheel is normal for the first rotation of the steering wheel L and R. But then it would get super stiff, and if i would force through it, it would return to normal reduced resistance for the final bit before hitting steering lock.

I am on a tight window before my dad takes it for an out of town job with some family visits mixed in. I expect he will put 2000 miles on it +/- 300 miles, and be gone until the end of the month.

Steering fluid was due. Serp belt was due. Rack and pump are original, miles are at 295k.

Hoping he can make it through this trip, and I will go deeper when he returns.

What I tried:
    I sucked out some steering fluid and put in 8 oz sea foam trans tune.
    Drove it 50 miles over a couple days, working through the full range lock to lock, doing donuts at low and high rpms in both directions. Assuming low rpms reduces belt speed and gives me a baseline of how much pwer assist I get from the pump at idle, and at high rpms hoping to pressure wash the internal with the additive. Ordered a belt bought some fluid to flush bleed and refill.

After 50 miles the belt arrived, swapped the belt, flushed the fluid with syn dex 3 and added 4oz sea foam trans tune. Hoping the new fluid and additive will clean any varnish and suck up water in the system on the up coming journey. I intend to flush again after 2k miles to remove any residue liquified by the trans tune.

Results so far:
    After 10 miles with 8oz trans tune I noticed the problem became intermittent.
    After 10 more miles I noticed reduction in wheel stiffness, but the problem was still re-occuring, only now it was at random points in the wheel turn range.

The belt is a Gates HD, about $40 bucks from rock auto. New it sits at a similar tension point as the old one, which was still in the B range on the tensioner, but the old was a bit glazed on the flat side. I would feel better if the gates belt held a little tighter on the tensioner, but time is not on my side, it'll do. Steering wheel stiffness still happens at random points in the rack cycle. But my alternator is putting out more volts, so we can assume my Ac will be more efficient, My lights will be brighter, and the steering pump must be (by association) moving more fluid. Hey, maybe my battery will last a little longer.

Pulleys:
    With the the belt off, I checked all the bearings for spin, noise, and for side play on the pulley wheels. The tensioner and idler are lightly noisy, but not toast. The steering pump pulley has a little play but spins freely. Can I torque the center bolt on that to reduce play? Can I pull the steering pump pulley and put in a new bearing?

Outlook:
    We will see if the problem is varnish in the rack/pump, or the pump is bad. Don't even want to think of the rack, its not in my budget right now.

Who has replaced their tensioner and what did you use? The Gates tensioner is made in Canada, so I feel a little better about it for aftermarket. But, it has a different pulley size and no arrows marking belt tension like the OEM. Its maybe $40 for the Gates and around $85 for OEM. I believe Gates has a warranty, but I don't want to do it every 30k.

Has anyone replaced the steering pump pulley/bearing? is that doable?

2. Feb 3, 2023 at 5:20 AM
    shifty`

shifty` Is the Gila Copter a love machine?

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    Have you tested the power steering air control valve?

3. Feb 4, 2023 at 11:01 AM
    10 blue trucks

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 4WD RCLB
    Yes, there is vacuum through the valve anytime the steering wheel moves. It closes anytime the steering wheel is steady state.

4. Feb 4, 2023 at 11:57 AM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    Ok, here is the test process. If you tested per FSM as shown, I'm at a loss what it could be. Maybe someone else has ideas.

5. Feb 4, 2023 at 12:29 PM
    10 blue trucks

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 4WD RCLB
    I don't see a test process on the page you linked. Seems to be many topics and many pages to that thread. Thanks anyway, but I don't have time to read about timing belts to find what you are linking, but, I understand how the valve works, it bumps rpms under load by bypassing the throttlebody. It works.

6. Feb 4, 2023 at 12:35 PM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    Not sure what to tell you, when I click the link it takes me directly to reply # 191 offering up the FSM procedure. I'm assuming it's something mechanical (vs pneumatic) if not.

upload_2023-2-4_15-34-57.jpg

7. Feb 4, 2023 at 12:47 PM
    10 blue trucks

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 4WD RCLB
    ahh i see, well the pic didn't load when I viewed tha page. Its there now. But, regardless I know it opens under load, and closes and closes when the wheel is not moving. It assists pump contribution by increasing rpms slightly when the pump is under load. I can do donuts at 2000 rpm and still have the problem. So rpms don't help. So the valve is not the problem. I can do a donut at idle and not have the problem. The airvalve contribution is not the problem, although personally this is my 4th vehicle with that valve, and I don't think they do anything. I have disconected working valves in multiple toyota steering pumps, I don't think the do much to assist steering.

8. Feb 4, 2023 at 12:56 PM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    Yup, general thought was, if it was crapping out, you wouldn't be getting any additional assist. The symptom of it being OK for one pass, then not OK for part of another pass was peculiar and I could see it fitting.

9. Feb 4, 2023 at 1:17 PM
    10 blue trucks

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 4WD RCLB
    All the airvalve does is add like 50-75 rpm. I can coast down hill and rev to 2000 rpm in neutral. I can assist far more than the valve can. At 2000 rpm I can recreate the problem. At 650 rpm no problem. So the airvalves 75 rev assist are meaningless.

10. Feb 4, 2023 at 2:22 PM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    Cool story bro, and good luck with finding the issue.

NickB_01TRD likes this.
  11. Feb 4, 2023 at 2:55 PM
    10 blue trucks

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 4WD RCLB
    Don't be an ass. People have been capping the steering airvalve on Toyotas for decades, because aftermarket intakes don't have the ports. There is no loss in steering power with the valve disabled. Regardless, I have tested mine and it works. But even if it failed, it was never helping to begin with. Your flippant attitude isn't necessary, especially when you clearly don't understand how it works. Biut thanks for pic of the pinch test.

12. Feb 4, 2023 at 5:57 PM
    shifty`

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    Yep, the issue is definitely my attitude, I'm definitely the one mansplaining here. :rofl:

13. Feb 4, 2023 at 6:00 PM
    10 blue trucks

Member:
    Vehicle:
    04 4WD RCLB
    A post that begins with "cool story bro" is really not attitude. Got it.

14. Feb 5, 2023 at 3:12 AM
    w666

w666 D. None of the above

Member:
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    04 Access Cab SR5 V8 4WD
    None yet
    I just can't help but wonder why, if you're so GD smart, you're here asking for help?

des2mtn and shifty` like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top