1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stereo upgrade

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by ToriTheTundra, Apr 18, 2022.

1. Apr 18, 2022 at 12:20 AM
    ToriTheTundra

ToriTheTundra [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum
    I have an 18 crew max platinum tundra and looking for suggestions on a new head unit that will retain all factory features. ie, MPG, maintenance reminder, steering wheel controls, ect that still has a clean factory look to it.

Thanks!

2. Apr 18, 2022 at 4:16 AM
    PermaFroxt

PermaFroxt New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Vito
    Vehicle:
    20 Platinum
    lil bit
    What do you hope to gain?

panicman likes this.
  3. Apr 18, 2022 at 5:52 AM
    TBS

TBS New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 SR5 CrewMax 4x4 Barcelona Red
    E50 extinguisher, Valhalla Plates, ESP Storage, Chrome Delete, Pwr Tailgate Lock,
    Are you looking for additional features? Why the desire to update?

Please be specific. Ie AA, Bluetooth, larger screen,....

4. Apr 18, 2022 at 7:16 AM
    TundraMidwesterner

TundraMidwesterner What?

Member:
    Northern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    2019 Magnetic Gray Metallic CrewMax TSSOR 4x4
    Katzkins, Rostra heated seats(4), Tint (all), TRD rear sway bar, TSS wheels, OEM black lug nuts and wheel locks, OEM LED black fog lights, Driver side grab handle, Rough country LED Bumper bar, Rough Country Hard tri fold tonneau cover, AVS ventshades, Bilstein 5100's on top setting in front, Ready lift 1 inch ready block in the rear with Bilstein 5100's. Fluid Film. ESP under seat storage. LED interior lights and cargo lights swapped. Rear USB charger port swapped for 12v port. Remote start. Leather wrapped steering wheel kit. TRD shift knob. Kenwood dmx1037s. Hertz K170 door speakers/ tweeters, Infinity Reference 7005A 5 channel amp, 2 JBL WS1000 10 inch subs. DDI Seat Jackers. RCI engine Skid and Vahalla's Shields (front and rear) 1/4 aluminum. Stillen intake. LED Pro Headlights with iHacker harness. Cartrimhome auto up and down window switches. Coupe's aluminum battery tie down. Color matched mirror caps. Color matched door handles. Chalk bag cup holder. NFab podium step bars, herculined. Powerstop z36 drilled slotted brake discs w/ceramic pads.
    I installed a kenwood DMX1037s with a maestro rr unit a few weeks ago (no nav) to keep all the buttons and integrated vehicle functions. I lost the compass on the small screen in center of the gauges but other than that everything else works. The old headunit had built in nav and I went to one without but I use android auto exclusively. Kenwood also makes the DNR1007XR which has nav. pioneer and kenwood make some smaller screen options that look a little more factory as well but I don't have any experience with them.

The new headunit does freeze on occasion but otherwise its a large improvement over the factory setup. I also installed a new AMP, door speakers, tweeters, and 2 10 inch shallow sub woofers and got all of it from the forum member here Tech12volts. Once you have some idea of features you want, reach out to him. He can set you up with every adapter you need to use existing antennas, plugs for door speakers etc.

https://shop.tech12volts.com/

5. Apr 18, 2022 at 8:25 AM
    panicman

panicman Everyone remain calm.

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 CM TRDoffroad MGM
    You have to have some kinds of goals in mind that you can share.

The question you pose would be similar to someone asking if a broad group of people could recommend a home theater system. There is so much variability that no one could possibly guess what kind of system you’re after.

Also, are you having a shop do the work, or are you planning to install it yourself?

Are you an audiophile, or otherwise picky or have a really high standard for sound quality?

How much do you want to spend?

Do you listen to a lot of modern, bass-dominant music? Spatial audio? Dance? Country?

Maybe you want the stock system to simply have a little more oomph. Maybe you’re just after Android or Apple CarPlay compatibility?

Maybe you want to utterly deaden the body of the vehicle and put no fewer than 4 10” subs in.

Maybe you plan to enter competitions and need to spend no less than $12000 on a competition system.

You’re…. not…. telling… us… anything that will help us to help you.

You can see lots of builds in the audio video forum here.

Numerous options will allow you to retain all factory data and controls, so that won’t be an issue.

What do you want?

Saltyhero13 and Toyotoholic like this.
  6. Apr 18, 2022 at 8:40 AM
    nobodyintexas

nobodyintexas What?

Member:
    South of Houston
    Vehicle:
    S/C'd 2020 White 1794 Tundra
    Whatever this forum told me to do
    as an early 90's car stereo competitor....I concur with this line of questioning.

7. Apr 18, 2022 at 9:20 AM
    PlatinumPro

PlatinumPro New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 PlatinumPro Crewmax
    Bilstein 6112+5100s, Rigid Lighting, Fuel 20x9 Bronze Blitz
    maybe worth taking note, my Platinum was spec'd with the JBL sound system that doesn't make switching out components straight forward as the non-JBL system.

panicman likes this.
  8. Apr 18, 2022 at 11:20 AM
    ToriTheTundra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum
    thanks for all the responses guys!!

9. Apr 18, 2022 at 11:23 AM
    ToriTheTundra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum
    Id really like to gain more features, ie, album art work displayed, better quality audio and louder, but still wanting to maintain all the factory features that the factory head unit has.

10. Apr 18, 2022 at 11:25 AM
    ToriTheTundra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum

Thanks for all this info man! i really appreciate it! I am wondering if there is some sort of module that will allow the compass feature to work post head unit upgrade?

11. Apr 18, 2022 at 11:30 AM
    TundraMidwesterner

TundraMidwesterner What?

Member:
    Northern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    Katzkins, Rostra heated seats(4), Tint (all), TRD rear sway bar, TSS wheels, OEM black lug nuts and wheel locks, OEM LED black fog lights, Driver side grab handle, Rough country LED Bumper bar, Rough Country Hard tri fold tonneau cover, AVS ventshades, Bilstein 5100's on top setting in front, Ready lift 1 inch ready block in the rear with Bilstein 5100's. Fluid Film. ESP under seat storage. LED interior lights and cargo lights swapped. Rear USB charger port swapped for 12v port. Remote start. Leather wrapped steering wheel kit. TRD shift knob. Kenwood dmx1037s. Hertz K170 door speakers/ tweeters, Infinity Reference 7005A 5 channel amp, 2 JBL WS1000 10 inch subs. DDI Seat Jackers. RCI engine Skid and Vahalla's Shields (front and rear) 1/4 aluminum. Stillen intake. LED Pro Headlights with iHacker harness. Cartrimhome auto up and down window switches. Coupe's aluminum battery tie down. Color matched mirror caps. Color matched door handles. Chalk bag cup holder. NFab podium step bars, herculined. Powerstop z36 drilled slotted brake discs w/ceramic pads.
    I just use the compass on the home page of the new headunit, I don't really notice that its gone from the other location. Its a widget on the newer kenwood units for the home screen. If I switch to android auto I just use it directly from google maps or waze.

The maestro rr2 unit does have a couple extra features for integration beyond what I have though. Unsure what else it adds.

12. Apr 18, 2022 at 11:38 AM
    ToriTheTundra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum

All good questions!

I can do the work myself. Ive done them in the past and i really enjoy doing it!

i am a HUGE audiophile! (if you are i strongly recommend TIDAL. it is like pandora and apple music, but studio quality streaming and downloading!)

budget for new head unit, all new speakers and sub and all the adapters and such id be willing to pay $5k or more for. I am in my truck a lot during the day going from one job to the next.

i have a very eclectic taste in music. Dave Matthews Band, Five finger death punch, lil wayne, omen xiii, garth brooks. im all over the board. the louder and more clear the music, the quieter the voices in my head

yes, id certainly like the stock to have more oomph, and yes android auto as well. but finding the compromise between both of those is the challenge.

as far as killing the cab space goes for a MONSTER system goes, im going to say no to that... for now... once i retire this as my daily/ work truck i do want to go balls to the wall on building out the exterior. air lift, bumbers, bead lockers, wrap it, roll cage, huge audio system ect. but for now i need the real-estate of the cab for my tools.

Hope this helped!

panicman[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Apr 18, 2022 at 11:41 AM
    ToriTheTundra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum
    yes sir, good point. i have the platinum with the jbl as well. ive been seeing that this upgrade will be quite involved...all worth it in my book!

14. Apr 18, 2022 at 11:41 AM
    ToriTheTundra

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum
    good to know! and i will have to look into what else the maestro unit does.

15. Apr 18, 2022 at 11:46 AM
    TundraMidwesterner

TundraMidwesterner What?

Member:
    Northern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    with that kind of budget, get a hold of James at tech12volts. the sub-box he made for me fits behind the rear seats in the crewmax for two shallow 10's. no loss of storage or space. amp under the passenger seat. He sent me EVERY piece I needed, every nut, bolt, screw, adapter. All I had to do was put the harness together for the headunit and he may even offer that as a service. He sent complete instructions on how to install everything in the tundra, he even has presets for how to start tuning the amp. The downside is I have to unbolt the passenger seat to make adjustments to the amp but its only 4 bolts and i can rock it back enough to have room without unplugging the airbag connectors under the seat.

panicman likes this.
  16. Apr 18, 2022 at 11:56 AM
    TundraMidwesterner

TundraMidwesterner What?

Member:
    Northern Illinois
    Vehicle:
    I will have to check out TIDAL. The better your sound system the more glaringly obvious different sources are not equal. I get by on pandora set to high quality but from song to song it isn't always consistent. The new system I have absolutely rocks if the source is good. I have a friend that DJ's and mixes her own Chicago style house music/deep house and the music she has given me sounds spectactular. I'm trying to force myself to like XM/Sirius radio but it has always sounded flat with poor sampling rates to me.

17. Apr 18, 2022 at 1:41 PM
    panicman

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    That helps!!

My experience with the Maestro, paired with a Pioneer DMH WT8600NEX:

Maestro has an OBD cable that plugs right into the OBD port on the truck, so you can set up dashboards with all the normal native data, plus a generous host of other measures.

Factory steering wheel controls are still functional.

You can set up on-demand cameras that can be viewed any time.

18. Apr 18, 2022 at 1:48 PM
    panicman

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    PNW
    Vehicle:
    Here are some images of how I installed mine:
    FF4D4D6C-5C11-4122-AE48-3182F72FDAA7.jpg
    CDA870D4-30F8-4D0D-A4A3-26E560ADFE48.jpg

J&ATundra, Tundra1078 and bfunke like this.
  19. Apr 24, 2022 at 1:54 PM
    TTund16

TTund16 New Member

Member:

Products Discussed in

To Top