1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

STEREO REPLACEMENT HELP

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Adair444, May 24, 2023.

1. May 24, 2023 at 7:34 AM
    Adair444

Adair444 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tundra 1794 Edition Black
    I have a 2015 Tundra 1794 Edition

I really want to upgrade my infotainment system. I really like the look of the big vertical touchscreen stereos you can get. My issue is it seems like ALLLL the vertical screens are all Android capability. Does anyone have a large vertical stereo they have put in that has apple play and is iPhone capable?

2. May 24, 2023 at 7:39 AM
    dandrilla

dandrilla New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dom
    Boise
    Vehicle:
    2020 1794 Super White
    From my understanding, the phoenix vertical head units are carplay compatible even though they are an android based OS: https://phoenixautomotiveinc.com/co...-navigation-radio-for-toyota-tundra-2014-2021

I love the idea of one of these, but am worried about the ongoing software support it would receive and future compatibility with iOS. I'd need more confidence it was going to work well in 5 years than I have right now.

3. May 24, 2023 at 8:28 AM
    SnrDisregardo

SnrDisregardo New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wade
    IL
    Vehicle:
    2018 Platinum CrewMax 4x4
    TRD Sport Suspension, TRD Front & Rear Sway bar, TRD Pro Shift knob, Charcoal Filter Delete, aFe Pro Dry S w/SABM, LineX bed, Remote Start, OEM tonneau cover, DIY pop'n lock, DIY TRD cold air intake, TRD skid plate, DD SS3 amber fogs, HotShot Offroad Hot Tails, 2020 OE radio with tech12v amp and sub.
    I don't like not having physical controls for the HVAC. That is muscle memory to adjust instead of having to look at a screen.

4. May 24, 2023 at 9:31 AM
    Adair444

Adair444 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tundra 1794 Edition Black
    Yeah thats the only ones i really see that are vertical is from phoenix, might just have to try it out and hope for the best. Very sleek design but it needs to work flawlessly for it to be worth the cost.

5. May 24, 2023 at 10:31 AM
    Gravy

Gravy Cat herder, ASCM #π

Member:
    Yucaipa, California
    Vehicle:
    2008 White DC 4x4, Limited TRD
    OME Nitrocharger/2612 (front), Bilstein 5100s (rear). Vanguard roll bar modified (by me) to fit over Patriot Stealth retractable tonneau. Aftermarket halo headlights with HID, various LED bulb replacements. 17" Fuel Blitz wheels with some 33" Nitto terra grapplers. Hoodscoop, nfab nerfbars, Bushwacker flares. No-name aftermarket grille, led fender extensions. Black Horse bambi-basher. Various offroad lights.
    The Phoenix headunits are a chinese import, believe they buy zwnav headunits and sell them as phoenix. Bought one for my second gen (open box), turned out there was a reason it was open box lol. I will admit they were very helpful and took the return without too much difficulty. They are pretty neat overall, but like all headunits, they dont play nicely if you have a godforsaken factory JBL (you'll need to maestro). As for software update from Phoenix, I doubt it since they are just rebranding and providing local support, but they might.

Basically all of the higher end Chinese headunits have wireless carplay and wired android. Only the cheapest ones don't have at least wired carplay/android.

D4x4TRD likes this.
  6. May 24, 2023 at 10:55 AM
    Gravy

Gravy Cat herder, ASCM #π

Member:
    Yucaipa, California
    Vehicle:
    2008 White DC 4x4, Limited TRD
    OME Nitrocharger/2612 (front), Bilstein 5100s (rear). Vanguard roll bar modified (by me) to fit over Patriot Stealth retractable tonneau. Aftermarket halo headlights with HID, various LED bulb replacements. 17" Fuel Blitz wheels with some 33" Nitto terra grapplers. Hoodscoop, nfab nerfbars, Bushwacker flares. No-name aftermarket grille, led fender extensions. Black Horse bambi-basher. Various offroad lights.
    Just did a check on alibaba/aliexpress. A quick search on Aliexpress found 2015 "tesla" style headunits w/ wireless carplay in the $300s Considering the cost of even the cheapest domestic brands... but its always a tradeoff.

7. May 24, 2023 at 12:02 PM
    dkrou

dkrou New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dan
    Vehicle:
    2019 tundra
    I would personally go with Kenwood, Sony or pioneer

8. May 25, 2023 at 8:37 AM
    Iamsecond

Iamsecond New Member