1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stereo eating itself (from the inside out)

Discussion in 'Other Toyota Vehicles' started by AK 6.7PSD Replacement, Jan 18, 2020.

1. Jan 18, 2020 at 11:51 AM
    AK 6.7PSD Replacement

AK 6.7PSD Replacement [OP] New Member

Member:
    IL, MO, KS, DE, IL, AK, SC...
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 DoubleCab 4x4
    Okay, so this is not in a Tundra, per se, but I own a Tundra so maybe it’s fair game? I have a Pioneer AVH-2300NEX (out of warranty) head unit installed in my wife’s Odyssey. Recently it makes a grinding noise like the CD motor at random times, but there’s no CD inserted. Anyone have any experience or ideas before I go drop lots of money to be told, “Sorry, Pioneer’s junk...we’ll sell you this nice Alpine for $1,400.”

2. Jan 18, 2020 at 12:07 PM
    truefunk

truefunk New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement SR5
    Yikes never heard of that, does the face come off? Maybe something going on there,...why Alpine tho? Why not another Pio for that amount of cheddar?

3. Jan 18, 2020 at 12:16 PM
    JMB

JMB Not new, just a little old.

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Chesapeake, VA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White Tundra DC
    5100s all around, 295-70-18 Defenders, 1.25 Spidertrax spacers, BD reverse lights, de-badged, interior LEDs, footwell LEDs, reverse LEDs, ARE cap, front receiver hitch for cooler holder, cooler holder/rod rack, backup camera, Kenwood HU, Westin nerf bars, Husky floor liners, folding rear seats, remote battery posts, plastidip grill chrome, Powder coat bumpers.
    I had a VHS player do that several years ago. I opened it up and a plastic drive gear was coming apart, I guess from age.

4. Jan 18, 2020 at 12:33 PM
    Elduder

Elduder New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Pioneer makes some very nice HUs, Alpine units get nice at the 1k mark, below that I would personally go with Pioneer or more preferably Kenwood.

The noise, if its not the CD drive, is probably the rear cooling fan beginning to fail. If the HU starts rebooting or turning off you'll know for sure, otherwise you can pull it out and listen for it.

Products Discussed in

To Top