1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering wheel swap

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by RR60, Sep 28, 2020.

1. Sep 28, 2020 at 9:24 AM
    RR60

RR60 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 SR5 Tundra long bed
    Tried searching but did not find.

Thought I remember someone doing a swap.

Have a 2003 and would like to add the steering wheel controls for the radio.
    How big a job is this?
    Any idea on cost if I paid a shop to do this if seems to involved for me.

About the only thing else I would like on my Tundra. So maybe a good project.

2. Sep 28, 2020 at 10:45 AM
    shifty`

shifty` One great big festering neon distraction

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    Grey area. Easy to swap the physical wheel. Only a moderate amount of info out there on how to do it.

If you pay someone to do it, you're probably going to be out $1k after it's all said and done. If you do it yourself, you may be able to get it done for under $300-400 if you buy premium and OEM parts, and maybe as little as $150-200 if you can score a wheel assembly. But as for whether your truck is pre-wired correct, it's another story. I think I read the '04 - '06 are pre-wired for the controls. Usually I find the cutoff for stuff is, like, '00-'02 and '03-'06 with everything except frame recalls, but who knows?

Anyway, this may help: https://www.tundras.com/threads/wha...t-gen-tundra-today.2558/page-714#post-1869210

PS, I found the post I just linked by searching wheel controls. It was only a few posts down :confused:

PPS, I haven't been able to find replacement controls for tan/beige interior trucks, only grey. So color of your interior may also play a factor.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2020
    Kimosabe and bmf4069 like this.
  3. Sep 29, 2020 at 11:39 AM
    RR60

RR60 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 SR5 Tundra long bed

Thanks will look around some. Mine is the gray interior so a plus there. Key seems to be how to figure out if the wiring is there. or if not can I run new wires myself.

4. Oct 1, 2020 at 7:30 AM
    shifty`

shifty` One great big festering neon distraction

Member:
    ATL
    Vehicle:
    '06 AC Limited V8/4WD
    (see signature for truck info)
    Easiest way is just to find a replacement wheel, install, and see if it works using your preferred steering wheel control adapter --- I'm assuming you're running an aftermarket HU. I've never seen anyone swap in with the stock HU and have it work, but that's not to say it's never been done.

Products Discussed in

To Top