1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering wheel shimmy/shake/vibration after tire patch?

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by MistrRoboto, Nov 22, 2017.

1. Nov 22, 2017 at 7:24 AM
    MistrRoboto

MistrRoboto [OP] '17 MGM SR5 TRD CrewMax

Member:
    Virginia Beach, VA
    Hey fellas,

Had the truck in yesterday for 10k service. They rotated the tires (completely stock), and noticed a nail in the now front right tire. I had them patch it for $30, no big deal.

Get out on the highway and my steering wheel starts shaking at any speed over 60.

Take it back, they balance the newly patched/remounted tire and said it was odd - something about needing 6oz in a spot to get it balanced.

I take it back out onto the highway (where they wont take it to get over 60), and its still shaking. Back in, they say its balanced, and balance the other front. I am still getting a shake over 60.

I've spend 5 hours at the damn place so far, for basically an oil change and a bunch of headache. Headed back to the dealer this afternoon. Had two thoughts - 1) get them to completely remove/remount that tire, then do a fresh balance, or 2) have them swap it onto the spare rim since its patched now, and just use the spare tire. The rest of the tires would already have 10k miles on them, but seem mostly fresh.

Thoughts?

-Jim

Products Discussed in

To Top