1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering wheel shake

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by Bferg1269, Jul 21, 2018.

1. Jul 21, 2018 at 9:21 PM
    Bferg1269

Bferg1269 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I have a higher speed shake in my 2015 tundra crew max. I have had the tires balanced and wheel Alignment. The shake happens between 55 and 69 mph? What would be my next option

2. Jul 22, 2018 at 4:00 AM
    MT Madman

MT Madman Just an ordinary guy

Member:
    Hawk Point MO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Silver Platinum
    TRD dual exhaust TRD Rear Sway Bar SnugTop Hi-Liner
    Just went through that myself. Had it done at the dealer, the shop that originally did it didn't do it right.

Black Wolf likes this.
  3. Jul 22, 2018 at 4:25 AM
    Tundraplatinum

Tundraplatinum New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 Platinum CM
    Probably tires still. Could be brake rotors

Pale_Horse likes this.
  4. Jul 22, 2018 at 4:36 AM
    Pale_Horse

Pale_Horse Sooooooooo White.

Member:
    FL
    Vehicle:
    White 2013 TRD OR 4x4 DC
    Cupcake chit.
    Make sure they are getting road force balanced on a hunter balancer.

Check rotors as mentioned, 2015... probably about time to do them unless you already have...

Welcome and good luck.

5. Jul 22, 2018 at 6:20 AM
    14burrito

14burrito IG @14burrito

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4x4 5.7
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    Road force, and dynamic balance. Dont let them get lazy and do a simple terrible static balance.

6. Jul 22, 2018 at 6:49 AM
    Wynnded

Wynnded What MPG...

Member:
    Rockies
    Vehicle:
    Souped up truck
    Magnuson Magnum TVS 2650 S/C Sniv's Speed Shop 70mm pulley RCF Throttle Body TRD PRO BBS Wheels TRD Front Sway Bar TRD Rear Sway Bar Fox TRD Pro Shocks Limited mirrors (auto darkening/backup camera/power fold/puddle lights) Limited Grill Mod Automatic Climate Controls Mod Automatic Headlamp Mod Sequoia Transfer Case Mod Sequoia Leather Steering Wheel Mod Sequoia Limited Gage Cluster Mod Sequoia LED Headlamp Upgrade Window Tint 15/70% Fake Manual Transmission Mod 10" BAMufflers Stainless Catback Valhalla Catalytic Converter Shields Engine Block Heater Illuminated Ignition Key Ring Mod Deck Rail System w/cleats Solid Offroad Engine Mounts
    I had a bent wheel once...our roads are that bad.

7. Jul 31, 2018 at 3:36 PM
    whoawalk

whoawalk New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Norm
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra Limited Crew Max
    I am having the same issue. I had a slight pull to the left had it aligned and the tires rotated and then this steering wheel shake started. I took it back to the alignment shop, he said it was the wear pattern on my tires and I probably needed to replace them (although, I did not have the shake when I took it in), did that took it back to be aligned after putting the new tires on and the fella tells me I have a bent wheel. Had another shop check it, no bent wheel and they balanced each tire however still have the dang shake! Now a third shop states that a dynamic balance will not work on the stock wheels (no outside lip) and recommends a road force test? I need some advice as, I am about to go Cra Cra here.

8. Jul 31, 2018 at 5:34 PM
    BTBAKER

BTBAKER DIFFERENT NAME. SAME JUNK.

Member:
    First Name:
    Brad
    Castle Rock
    Vehicle:
    2023 Ram Rebel
    Welcome from CO.

I have the same issue with mine being felt between 50-60 mph. It is NOT the tires/wheels on mine. I’ve had 3 sets of tires and 4 sets of wheels. It does nothing. Road force etc etc...
    It’s driving me nuts. I have an appointment with Toyota next week and it better be rectified or I’m buying an American truck...:anonymous: Maybe not but I can’t live with this shake..

9. Jul 31, 2018 at 6:05 PM
    jtwags

jtwags Concrete jungle

Member:
    League City, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra CM
    Undercover Elite LX, Xact Contour
  10. Aug 8, 2018 at 1:22 PM
    wrechst

wrechst New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Willy
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tundra
    had installed new front rotors and brakepads and my steering wheel vibration was better but still there. my problem was that I did not do a good enough job cleaning all the rust out with a steel wire brush between and around the bolts where the rotors sit. Once that was done propertly my tundra is now as smooth as silk. simple but had me stumped had checked & balanced tires, checked driveshaft etc. etc. !!! :)

mtntop and TheBeast like this.
  11. Aug 9, 2018 at 8:17 AM
    SullyMoto19

SullyMoto19 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Magnetic Gray SR5 5.7 4X4
    8" ReadyLift w/ ReadyLift and Bilstein Adjustable Coilovers w/ Reservoirs, 3" PA Body Lift, Fox 2.0 Shocks, 24x14 RBP Atomics (custom powdercoat Gloss Black), 40x15.5r24 RBP Repulsor, Relentless Fabrication Stealth bumper, N-Fab side steps, Bedlined/Paintmatched Honeycomb Grill, 2019 LED Headlights, 4 Backlit RBG Cubes, 16 RGB PlashLight Rocklights, 5% Tint & Brow, 2 10" Kicker CVT Subs with Kicker Amp in custom sealed box, Husky all weather floor mats, LED White interior bulbs
    what bolts are you referring to? I have had wheels balanced and got my alignment today (desperately needed alignment, numbers were baaaaaaaaaaaad), but I think its still a little shakey. I think this has to do with tire wear, but still shouldn't be all that bad.

12. Aug 9, 2018 at 8:21 AM
    saybng

saybng Just a member.

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Ventura CA
    Vehicle:
    16 Tundra 1794 CM in BLACK!
    Method Nv's, falken wildpeak 275.65.20 Dirty deeds exhaust, 5100's all around...nothin fancy.
    Dont drink so much coffee maybe it will disappear...jk..welcome from Ventura California..

13. Aug 9, 2018 at 8:33 AM
    wrechst

wrechst New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Willy
    Vehicle:
    2008 Toyota Tundra
    Sorry not the best description not bolts exactly... I meant clean all the rust off the wheel assembly where the brake rotors butt up against also clean off behind the exposed threads really well... I thought it was a good enough job being the weekend mechanic i am and it was not... you really have to get in there and get all rust off so the rotor sits perfectly against the wheel assembly am still kicking myself for that!

14. Aug 9, 2018 at 8:49 AM
    SullyMoto19

SullyMoto19 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 Magnetic Gray SR5 5.7 4X4
    8" ReadyLift w/ ReadyLift and Bilstein Adjustable Coilovers w/ Reservoirs, 3" PA Body Lift, Fox 2.0 Shocks, 24x14 RBP Atomics (custom powdercoat Gloss Black), 40x15.5r24 RBP Repulsor, Relentless Fabrication Stealth bumper, N-Fab side steps, Bedlined/Paintmatched Honeycomb Grill, 2019 LED Headlights, 4 Backlit RBG Cubes, 16 RGB PlashLight Rocklights, 5% Tint & Brow, 2 10" Kicker CVT Subs with Kicker Amp in custom sealed box, Husky all weather floor mats, LED White interior bulbs
    seems tedious, but I may need to do it. the salt water and beach trips are prolly killing me.

Products Discussed in

To Top