1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering wheel shake and other tire issues

Discussion in 'Wheels & Tires' started by john4938, Apr 10, 2019.

1. Apr 10, 2019 at 6:35 AM
    john4938

john4938 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tundra Platinum
    I have 2016 Toyota Tundra Crew Max Platinum. I'm having some issues with steering wheel shake/vibration as well as tires chopping and making awful noises.

I have a level on the truck along with non-stock wheels and tires:

The wheels are Fuel Hostage found here and the Tires are Nitto Ridge Grappler 33x12.50RLT 119Q 12 P.R.

Mechanic is telling me that these tires are too much for the truck and that's why I'm having all the issues. He says they are too heavy, too hard, etc... meant for much heavier duty trucks. He even compared them to 18 wheeler tires. Does this make sense?

From what I see online, the tires weight approx 69lbs. What do stock tires weigh -between 40-60? Is that little bit of a weight that much of a problem?

Anyhow, I was just hoping for some education, experience, and other opinions.

2. Apr 12, 2019 at 8:48 AM
    LiftMeUp

LiftMeUp New Member

Member:
    I don't know much, in fact I'm about to jump from standard 275/60/20 to LT285/65/20, 10 play and around 70lbs. I think your alignment is off. I've had a guy at the tire shop tell me the same thing, you don't need a LT tire, that's for big trucks that haul things. Funny, cause pretty much any Tundra on a lot with A/T tires are LT.

3. Apr 15, 2019 at 4:31 AM
    parker44

parker44 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra - Desert Sand Mica
    I'm thinking the wheels either may be out of balance or you need an alignment. The stock size tires are usually around 40 lbs, so while your new tires are much heavier and can be felt, they should not be causing your truck to shake like that. You said it is making "awful noises"....what does that mean? Are you talking about road noise or the tires rubbing something?

The thing I've found with my setup, I think the stick on weights had fallen off in places on my wheels because my truck would be rough as hell around 55 or so, but would start to smooth out. Discount Tire rebalances them each time I go, and they have actually been good the last few thousand miles...no issues at all.

Products Discussed in

To Top