1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Steering rack leak

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by RVAtruck, Aug 27, 2022.

1. Aug 27, 2022 at 9:58 AM
    RVAtruck

RVAtruck [OP] New Member

Member:
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra double cab Limited 4wd
    I was under my truck installing running boards on my 05 DC this morning, and noticed some fluid leaking from the steering rack. It seems like it’s just a bad washer on the flange bolt pictured here. Anybody out there ever replaced one of these? It’s only $20 in parts if that’s the only problem, but I’ve read some old posts that say steering racks are harder than they seem. Wondering if I’m better off just taking this to a mechanic
    upload_2022-8-27_12-57-31.jpg

upload_2022-8-27_12-56-15.jpg

2. Aug 27, 2022 at 10:04 AM
    des2mtn

des2mtn Third Member

Member:
    Where my wheels stop rolling
    Vehicle:
    2004 Black DC Limited 4x4
    Tonto cover
    Your leak looks like it might be coming from the top of the rack since I see fluid on the top as well.

My steering rack is seeping fluid from this point.

upload_2022-8-27_10-2-48.jpg.

In your picture are you referring to this part? This is a mounting point and it won't leak there. The destroyed part is the steering rack bushing and it needs replacing.

upload_2022-8-27_9-59-55.jpg

Jack McCarthy likes this.
  3. Aug 27, 2022 at 10:09 AM
    RVAtruck

RVAtruck [OP] New Member

Member:
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    Yes that’s what I’m referring to. Thanks for the explanation. I’m a bit of a novice.
    Is that bushing easy to replace? Is this leak something that needs to be addressed if I’m not having any steering problems?

4. Aug 27, 2022 at 10:16 AM
    des2mtn

des2mtn Third Member

Member:
    Where my wheels stop rolling
    Vehicle:
    2004 Black DC Limited 4x4
    Tonto cover
    "

The leak, I'd determine how much it's leaking over a period of time. The proper way to fix it is going to buy a brand new OEM rack from a dealer. Mine is at the point where it's just seeping and I have to top it off with PS fluid/ ATF every so often. Just don't let the PS fluid get too low otherwise it will fry the bearings in the pump. Trans fluid is much cheaper than a steering rack, if you're not experiencing any steering problems.

The bushings can be replaced in your driveway without even lifting the truck off the ground. There are three bushings/ mounting points. The center mount takes a bit more effort. People often go with Total Chaos or Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings (like myself).

This is a straightforward video on how to change the bushings:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JafzubwihDM

5. Sep 2, 2022 at 1:56 PM
    RVAtruck

RVAtruck [OP] New Member

Member:
    Richmond, VA
    Vehicle:
    The bushings are on. I thought the rough steering was just cause the truck was a bit old, but it’s buttery smooth now most of the time. Thanks for the tip!

Steering is still is a bit rough for a few blocks when the truck is cold but it gets better quickly. I also noticed there’s some shaking in the front end when I drive from a dead stop while turning either way. It is smooth if I start straight ahead. Any suggestions on what that can be? I don’t want to start taking things apart if it’s not some that’s gonna get worse or cause other problems

Products Discussed in

To Top