1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Stainless Dual Exhaust

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by Rebel Tundra Man, Dec 9, 2019.

1. Dec 9, 2019 at 10:39 AM
    Rebel Tundra Man

Rebel Tundra Man [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Limited CM
    4" RCX Lift, 20x10 Fuel Coupler's, 35x12.50x20 Nitto Ridge Grappler's, Color Match Front End, LED Bulbs, RCX Tube Steps, Green LED Underglow
    Hello Everyone,

I am looking for a stainless cat back dual exhaust pipe kit. I purchased a Borla Pro XS muffler the other day for a good deal off a local guy. After having the factory TRD Stainless on my '02 Tacoma, I want something quality for this truck as well. I have found pipe kits that are aluminized, But not having much luck finding stainless. I have a quote from my local muffler shop but I don't know that I would be better going that route compared to the prices I've seen on some of the other package options out there with pipes and a new muffler, provided they are acutally stainless.

Here is the link to the aluminized pipe kit.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/2009-2019-...a=0&pg=2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Dec 9, 2019 at 11:21 AM
    17TundraDCEd

17TundraDCEd New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    SE Pa
    Vehicle:
    2018 White SR5 Crewmax
    Rear Sway Bar
    That's a tough one.

If you think the aluminized kit will work, you could always spray the pipes with some high temperature paint to help protect against the rust (in lieu of stainless)

Or, maybe get the TRD tailpipes (not cheap at 400+ new - unless you can find used for cheaper) and than see if your exhaust guy can make the pipes to connect to the muffler and tailpipes. You're probably close to the cost of a full cat back though.

The complete stainless TRD exhaust for the Tundra is around $1100 new.

Rebel Tundra Man[OP] likes this.
  3. Dec 10, 2019 at 5:53 AM
    Rebel Tundra Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Limited CM
    4" RCX Lift, 20x10 Fuel Coupler's, 35x12.50x20 Nitto Ridge Grappler's, Color Match Front End, LED Bulbs, RCX Tube Steps, Green LED Underglow
    I know... I have been quoted like $600 to have the pipes custom bent and made for my truck in all stainless, which I'm cool with if its the only option. But I've also seen "exhaust kits" online from MBRP and Magnaflow and a couple others for $400ish range that state they are "stainless" which I find it hard to believe they are true stainless for that price. Hoping someone here has some kind of idea. Id rather have my local guy do it if I could just for the whole buy local thing, but then again I like the best bang for my $$ too.

4. Dec 10, 2019 at 6:52 AM
    17TundraDCEd

17TundraDCEd New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    SE Pa
    Vehicle:
    2018 White SR5 Crewmax
    Rear Sway Bar
    They're probably 409 stainless (not 304 like Borla, Carven, Corsa). They will develop surface rust, unless you paint them or stay on top of cleaning them. But they won't perforate. Plus they'll probably need some cutting and massaging to work with the muffler you have.

You already purchased the muffler. If you're set on using that muffler, than the local guy may be your best bet, because you're looking at another $600 to get a dual stainless steel system. There's only a couple of full catbacks (flowmaster comes to mind) with dual tailpipes for that price - but borla isn't one of them. Even if you paid 400 for the other kit - unless you can cut and weld, you'll probably be visiting your exhaust guy anyway to help with fitment.

5. Dec 10, 2019 at 8:10 AM
    Rebel Tundra Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Limited CM

I'm not dead set on using anything just don't want to pay $1000+ for an exhaust system necessarily. I paid $80 for this Borla muffler I got and I figure it has a decent tone to it from the video's Ive seen. I don't mind paying for the stainless part of it, just wondered if there was anything anyone out there knew of because I wasn't having much luck finding anything stainless for just a pipe kit.

6. Dec 10, 2019 at 8:20 AM
    17TundraDCEd

17TundraDCEd New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    SE Pa
    Vehicle:
    2018 White SR5 Crewmax
    Rear Sway Bar
    I think all you'll really find is full bolt on catbacks or mufflers only - not pipe kits only specifically for the Tundra.

7. Dec 12, 2019 at 8:54 AM
    tglyder

tglyder New Member

Member:
    Salt Lake City
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010
    I got a Gibson aluminum 3" Cat Backs from Summit Racing for my Chevy back when and they rotted out in a year. When I called Summit, they said they will replace the aluminum ones with Stainless for a $35 dollar up charge and free shipping, they said throw away the old ones. Boom done. Sucker lasted 14 years with no rusting out problems.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2019
    Rebel Tundra Man[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top