1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SRS Light on-Dealer is stumped...

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by Tundyfundy, Aug 14, 2019.

1. Aug 14, 2019 at 1:01 PM
    Tundyfundy

Tundyfundy [OP] Petunia The Tundra, and her sidekick Colbie

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Magnetic Grey DC SR5 4x4 2016
    SUSPENSION: Bilstein 6112 coilover (1.9") w/ Powder Coated Springs and Spring Perch (TRD Red), JBA Upper Control Arms, Bilstein 5160's w/Billet Aluminium Reservoir Brackets, +2 Coachbuilder Shackles, Diff Drop Kit, Carrier Bearing Drop Kit, Brakeline Extensions, ABS Extension, Poly Bushings for Leafs, Coachbuilder Shims (2 Each Side), Coachbuilder Bumpstop Extensions, TRD Rear Sway Bar, TRD Front Sway Bar, Air Lift 5000 airbags w jounce bumpers, Daystar Airbag Cradles WHEELS AND TIRES: BF Goodrich KO2's 275/70/r18, BORA wheel spacers 1.25", TRD Wheel Caps,TRD Valve Stem Caps, Spare Tire Lock PERFORMANCE: Bullydog GT Tuner(Performance Tune), TRD Intake, TRD Dual Exhaust (with Modified Exhaust Hangers for Levelling Tail Pipe),TRD Brake Pads, TRD Oil Cap (US), TRD Radiator Cap, TRD Oil Filter, Optima Yellow Top Battery,GP Battery Distribution Blocks, StopTech Slotted Cryo Treated Rotors, Goodridge G-Stop Steel Braided Brake Line Kit PROTECTION: PNP Engineering Type 4 Rock Sliders (With Full Dimple Plate) ,ADD Stealth Fighter Rear Bumper w Red/Blk Shackles and Custom Stomp Pad, TRD Skid Plate with ReadyLift Spacer Kit, Victory 4x4 LCA Skid Plates, JOMAX ABS Sensor Armor, Rear Diff Breather Mod, ARK splash guards INTERIOR: Husky Liners X-Act (Front and Full Coverage Rear and Front Weather Beater Trans Hump), Interior LED Bulbs, WheelSkins Genuine Leather Steering Wheel Cover(EuroPerf), Clazzio Genuine Leather Seat Covers(BLK/DRK GRYwith custom stitching and embroidered headrests), Clazzio Seat Heaters (Front and Rear), Entune Startup Screen MOD, Entune Off Screen Mod, Tinted Windows with Windshield Visor, AJT Key Fobs,Eagle Claws Floor Mat Clips, Bodyglove Visor Organizer,Custom Door Cup Inserts, Glass Break Sensor,AJT Radio Knobs, Custom Dior Cup Inserts EXTERIOR: Full Debadge, LED Brake Light Bulbs, LED Rear Turns, LED Reverse, LED Plate Lights, LED Cargo Lights, LED Third Brake Lights, LED Front Marker Lights, LED Fog Light Bulbs, Lamin-X Fog Light Covers (Amber),2018 OEM LED Headlights, iHacker harness, VLED Universal Puddle Lights, VLED Interior Footwell Lighting (Front and Rear),VLED Extreme Amber Fornt Turns, NSV Knight Rider Light bar, Baja Designs Sport Squadron Pods in Rear Bumper (Driving/wide), Painted Red Tow-hooks, Bed Rail System, Blind Spot Mirrors, Hitch-safe, Tail-gate lock, EAG Raptor Grille, Custom Grille Badge,Full Vinyl Wrap (Matte Black/Matte Pine Green Mettalic), Charvonia Designs Tie Bed Tie-Downs, Bull Ring Bed Rail Anchors, Line-X, Tundra Bed Mat, Bakflip F1 Bed Cover SOUND: Noico 80Mil Sound Deadening and Noico 170 Mil Thermal Insulation (All 4 Doors, Roof, Floors, Rear Panel, Dash). Hertz Uno K170's Component Speakers (Front Doors with Upgraded Sail Panels), Hertz Uno K170 Coaxial Speakers (Rear Doors), JBL C1-075ct Tweeters (Total 4) in Side Dash and Center Speaker, JBL Stadium 5 Amp w/Remote Bass Adjustment Knob and Amp Rack, 12" Infinity Reference Subwoofer in Custom Enclosure w/ “TUNDRA” Logo, Fast Rings Foam Speaker Rings System(4 Doors), Fix 86 DSP
    So I noticed my SRS dash light was on and wouldn’t shut off. I ran a diagnostic with my scan tool but couldn’t find any error codes.
    (2016 DC 4x4 SR5 Under Extended Warranty)
    Day 1:
    I made a dealer appt and took Petunia in to see if they could sort it. Dealer quoted me 120 for the diagnostic which is normal even though I have a warranty they quote you just in case it’s your fault.

So after about 4 hours they call and say that the light is off and they are going to reset the computer and see if it comes back on.

After about 8 hours they said that the driver side sensor was faulty and that they changed it.

I received a call back saying that the light came back on so it wasn’t the drive sensor since they swapped it with one that was for sure working. They wanted to keep it overnight for further Testing.

Day 2: they called me about mid day and said it was the SRS wiring harness and it would be 400 dollars out of my pocket.
    After I composed myself I told the guy he wasn’t getting a dime and that this is why I bought the warranty! He said I installed a stereo and he could see aftermarket wiring and that I probably tapped the harness for power or something idiotic. (I installed the hertz package from @james@tech12volts ) I rated that everything was plug and play and I ran my own power to the battery. I told him I have never tampered with any factory wiring As even my seat heaters are powered off a tap a fuse and not hard wired to the truck. I told him to call me when he has a solution and reiterated that if this isnt going to be covered that we have a problem.

Received a call a few hours later and service advisor stated that they still haven’t figured out what was going on (not the wiring harness) but he had changed his tone and said it would be covered under Toyota Care and my platinum extended warranty. He also stated he wanted to get me a rental car. I have a 96 Camry I daily drive so declined. He said they needed to hold onto the truck and he didn’t know how long it would take. I told him I won’t pick it up till it’s foxed due to safety as a SRS error will disable the airbag system.

Day 3: Crickets so far ....

I am so worried about them not finding the cause. I would hate to have to trade her in!! So many hours spent on mods and so much money into this thing. Anyway just needed to vent to you guys. Whaddya think is going on?

2. Apr 24, 2020 at 9:54 PM
    TRDPRONORCAL

TRDPRONORCAL New Member

Member:
    did this get resolved?
    what happened?
    I am having a similar issue.

3. Apr 24, 2020 at 9:59 PM
    Tundyfundy

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    SUSPENSION: Bilstein 6112 coilover (1.9") w/ Powder Coated Springs and Spring Perch (TRD Red), JBA Upper Control Arms, Bilstein 5160's w/Billet Aluminium Reservoir Brackets, +2 Coachbuilder Shackles, Diff Drop Kit, Carrier Bearing Drop Kit, Brakeline Extensions, ABS Extension, Poly Bushings for Leafs, Coachbuilder Shims (2 Each Side), Coachbuilder Bumpstop Extensions, TRD Rear Sway Bar, TRD Front Sway Bar, Air Lift 5000 airbags w jounce bumpers, Daystar Airbag Cradles WHEELS AND TIRES: BF Goodrich KO2's 275/70/r18, BORA wheel spacers 1.25", TRD Wheel Caps,TRD Valve Stem Caps, Spare Tire Lock PERFORMANCE: Bullydog GT Tuner(Performance Tune), TRD Intake, TRD Dual Exhaust (with Modified Exhaust Hangers for Levelling Tail Pipe),TRD Brake Pads, TRD Oil Cap (US), TRD Radiator Cap, TRD Oil Filter, Optima Yellow Top Battery,GP Battery Distribution Blocks, StopTech Slotted Cryo Treated Rotors, Goodridge G-Stop Steel Braided Brake Line Kit PROTECTION: PNP Engineering Type 4 Rock Sliders (With Full Dimple Plate) ,ADD Stealth Fighter Rear Bumper w Red/Blk Shackles and Custom Stomp Pad, TRD Skid Plate with ReadyLift Spacer Kit, Victory 4x4 LCA Skid Plates, JOMAX ABS Sensor Armor, Rear Diff Breather Mod, ARK splash guards INTERIOR: Husky Liners X-Act (Front and Full Coverage Rear and Front Weather Beater Trans Hump), Interior LED Bulbs, WheelSkins Genuine Leather Steering Wheel Cover(EuroPerf), Clazzio Genuine Leather Seat Covers(BLK/DRK GRYwith custom stitching and embroidered headrests), Clazzio Seat Heaters (Front and Rear), Entune Startup Screen MOD, Entune Off Screen Mod, Tinted Windows with Windshield Visor, AJT Key Fobs,Eagle Claws Floor Mat Clips, Bodyglove Visor Organizer,Custom Door Cup Inserts, Glass Break Sensor,AJT Radio Knobs, Custom Dior Cup Inserts EXTERIOR: Full Debadge, LED Brake Light Bulbs, LED Rear Turns, LED Reverse, LED Plate Lights, LED Cargo Lights, LED Third Brake Lights, LED Front Marker Lights, LED Fog Light Bulbs, Lamin-X Fog Light Covers (Amber),2018 OEM LED Headlights, iHacker harness, VLED Universal Puddle Lights, VLED Interior Footwell Lighting (Front and Rear),VLED Extreme Amber Fornt Turns, NSV Knight Rider Light bar, Baja Designs Sport Squadron Pods in Rear Bumper (Driving/wide), Painted Red Tow-hooks, Bed Rail System, Blind Spot Mirrors, Hitch-safe, Tail-gate lock, EAG Raptor Grille, Custom Grille Badge,Full Vinyl Wrap (Matte Black/Matte Pine Green Mettalic), Charvonia Designs Tie Bed Tie-Downs, Bull Ring Bed Rail Anchors, Line-X, Tundra Bed Mat, Bakflip F1 Bed Cover SOUND: Noico 80Mil Sound Deadening and Noico 170 Mil Thermal Insulation (All 4 Doors, Roof, Floors, Rear Panel, Dash). Hertz Uno K170's Component Speakers (Front Doors with Upgraded Sail Panels), Hertz Uno K170 Coaxial Speakers (Rear Doors), JBL C1-075ct Tweeters (Total 4) in Side Dash and Center Speaker, JBL Stadium 5 Amp w/Remote Bass Adjustment Knob and Amp Rack, 12" Infinity Reference Subwoofer in Custom Enclosure w/ “TUNDRA” Logo, Fast Rings Foam Speaker Rings System(4 Doors), Fix 86 DSP
    They ended up having to switch out an airbag wiring harness behind the dash. They tried to blame it on my stereo install. Once I showed them that I didn't cut any factory wiring they agreed to change it. They had to order it of course and it took around 6 days total from the time I took it in. I guess its a special machine that diagnoses Airbag stuffs they need to use. Anyway the labor plus part was like 600 bucks, which was covered under my warranty.

NewImprovedRon and 1lowlife like this.
  4. Apr 24, 2020 at 10:06 PM
    TRDPRONORCAL

TRDPRONORCAL New Member

Member:
    Glad you got it resolved!

Tundyfundy[OP] likes this.
  5. Apr 24, 2020 at 10:16 PM
    Tundyfundy

Member:
    Bay Area, CA
    Vehicle:
    Yeah man me too. It was concerning.

6. Apr 24, 2020 at 10:23 PM
    TRDPRONORCAL

TRDPRONORCAL New Member

Member:
    I am digging around.
    I hope it would end up being something small like a fuse or connector.
    I saw some people were able to turn it off by doing a code rest with a OBD2.
    Thanks for your help man.

Products Discussed in

To Top