1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Squeaking and vibration around 45mph

Discussion in '2nd Gen Tundras (2007-2013)' started by mdc1192, Nov 19, 2017.

1. Nov 19, 2017 at 7:02 PM
    mdc1192

mdc1192 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Vehicle:
    Silver 2010 Tundra TRD Off Road.
    My 2010 tundra with 127000 miles has a Squeaking? noise when accelerating up to about 45 MPH, Then I get a Vibration. As soon as I get off the gas the squeaking stops and the vibration is less noticeable but still there. I thought it might be a U-joint but when i got under the truck there is no play in the drive shaft. My second thought was the carrier bearing, There is a small amount of movement but it seems like it would be normal. My plan is to lift the rear end of the truck off the ground tomorrow and put it in Neutral and manually spin the drive shaft and see if I can locate exactly where the noise is coming from.

This is my only vehicle and I don't have anyone to help me if something were to fail and my truck be out of commission. I first started noticing the noise on Monday but it has been so sporadic i couldn't pin point where it was coming from. Since Thursday the noise has been there every morning and Friday I noticed the Vibration.

Any suggestions or advice will be appreciated.

2. Nov 19, 2017 at 7:11 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are food, not friends!

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD doublecab
    That sounds very much like a failed u-joint. Make sure you check them with the wheels blocked and the transmission in neutral, otherwise there will be torque on the driveline when in park, and you won’t feel the play. Look for rust steaking from around the seals of any of the bearing caps too, any of that means it’s bad.

All else fails, try greasing them one at a time (and drive it in between) and see if the squeak stops. Also look to see that all 4 bearing caps of each u-joint purge grease.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  3. Nov 19, 2017 at 7:32 PM
    stevj

stevj New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
    Vehicle:
    Current RAM 1500 owner waiting for the new Tundra "hybrid."
    Yep. Every drivetrain U-joint has a grease fitting, and I believe the slip joint between carrier bearing and rear drive shaft has one.
    As for the carrier bearing, you may be able to get it to move a little because it's held centered with a rubber suspension material, but there should be zero "play" or looseness to it. It only takes a little bit to cause vibration.

Steve

Last edited: Nov 20, 2017
  4. Nov 19, 2017 at 7:43 PM
    landphil

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD doublecab
    No grease fitting on the slip joint on these.

5. Nov 20, 2017 at 4:04 AM
    stevj

stevj New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    On a clear day, I can see Seattle from my house.
    Vehicle:
    Current RAM 1500 owner waiting for the new Tundra "hybrid."
    Yep. I forgot the slip joint is covered with a protective bellows type thing.

Steve

6. Nov 20, 2017 at 7:13 AM
    mdc1192

mdc1192 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Vehicle:
    I just got under the truck with it in Neutral and the wheels chocked. The u-joints didn’t have any movement in them at all so I have no idea. But I’m going to take it to my mechanic next week and he is gonna replace both u joints for me.

The rear u joint fit have a lot of grease on the outside on the side with the zero fitting. Should I try just greasing all the fittings and see if that fixes my problem?
    But I don’t see how that would stop the vibration either.

7. Nov 20, 2017 at 2:04 PM
    landphil

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD doublecab
    No, grease won’t fix it. If you do one at a time, you might be able tell from that which one of the 3 is bad, if any.

But, if you’re gonna take it in, have them diagnose the issue, rather than having them throw parts at it.

TheBeast likes this.
  8. Nov 29, 2017 at 8:40 AM
    mdc1192

mdc1192 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Vehicle:
    Took my truck in this morning and I need both u joints. They also said the Propeller shaft was starting to show signs of wear so they are replacing all 3 u joints. They recommended changing the carrier bearing because they would already have the drive shaft apart. It’s gonna be a whole lot more expensive to fix than I thought it was gonna be.

Stormtrooper81 likes this.
  9. Nov 29, 2017 at 8:48 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    I don’t know how mechanically inclined you are but you should look into maybe doing the labor yourself. U joints are pretty easy to change. I have not personally done a carrier betbearing it doesn’t look complicated. Overall I give U joints a one wrench out of five rating. Easy

10. Nov 29, 2017 at 10:19 AM
    mdc1192

mdc1192 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Vehicle:
    I looked into doing it myself but I don’t have the space available to do it myself. I also don’t have any ramps to back the truck up onto. If I was at my parents I defiantly would have.

15whtrd likes this.
  11. Nov 29, 2017 at 6:52 PM
    landphil

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD doublecab
    The good part of doing it right the first time, is that it’s cheaper than doing it multiple times. And that doesn’t include time and frustration.

Ask that the shop use Spicer u-joints and then grease them regularly, every oil change.

12. Nov 29, 2017 at 10:05 PM
    mdc1192

mdc1192 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Vehicle:
    I’m not sure what brand they use but the shop offers a lifetime parts warranty and a 2 year/24,000 mile labor warranty. But I am defiantly going to make sure I grease them every Oil Change now. I’m still waiting to get the truck back they got the wrong parts so they weren’t able to finish it today. I’m not happy about it because this will make the second day I’m stuck at home when I have errands that need to be run. But there is nothing I can about that so it is what it is. At least it will be fixed and I’ll be able to drive to my parents in Tennessee for Christmas without having to worry about it.

landphil likes this.
  13. Feb 10, 2019 at 4:18 PM
    muhman_527

muhman_527 New Member

Member:
    Houston Texas
    A little late but did changing the u joints fix it? I’m having a similar issue and am suspecting the joints too.

14. Feb 10, 2019 at 5:50 PM
    Dr_Al

Dr_Al New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Just a question. On my 1st gen Tundra I had a hard time finding u-joint bearings that have a grease fitting. Is this the case with the 2nd gens as well? I only ask because to me a u-joint that can't be greased is a part designed to fail.

15. Feb 11, 2019 at 10:58 AM
    mdc1192

mdc1192 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Vehicle:
    Haven’t had an issue since.

Tundrastruck91 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top