1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spec-D headlight up grade

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by RoasterOven, Jan 31, 2020.

1. Jan 31, 2020 at 4:35 PM
    RoasterOven

RoasterOven [OP] I make custom Tundra lighting

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Crewmx SR5
    TRD Pro grill Color matched bumpers Cold Air Intake Muffler delete Custom interior/exterior lighting
    What's up everyone, don't judge me but I bought the SpecD headlights and I personally love them. But I want the halogens gone. The lights use a h1 halogen bulb the converts off the tundra's H11 headlight harness and I want to use HIDs. So my question is what ballast kit do I buy, a H1 or stock Tundra H11? 20200121_185424.jpg 20200131_170544.jpg

2. Jan 31, 2020 at 4:39 PM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    35W Ballast, you will more than likely melt the lens on a 55w.

https://hidkitpros.com/shop/hylux-hid-conversion-kit-for-2014-2017-toyota-tundra/

https://headlightrevolution.com/2014-2017-toyota-tundra-hid-headlight-conversion-kit-high-low-beams/

Last edited: Jan 31, 2020
    Gravy likes this.
  3. Sep 20, 2021 at 7:44 PM
    TGreggyP

TGreggyP New Member

Member:
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TRD Pro (Cement)
    Were these "sequential"? Im looking on their website and it looks like on one model the turn signal is sequential, and then another identical housing might just "flash" like a normal signal would. Im trying to determine if there is two types, or just a duplicated product.

4. Sep 20, 2021 at 9:02 PM
    RoasterOven

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Crewmx SR5
    TRD Pro grill Color matched bumpers Cold Air Intake Muffler delete Custom interior/exterior lighting
  5. Sep 20, 2021 at 9:54 PM
    Gravy

Gravy Cat herder, ASCM #π

Member:
    Yucaipa, California
    Vehicle:
    2008 White DC 4x4, Limited TRD
    OME Nitrocharger/2612 (front), Bilstein 5100s (rear). Vanguard roll bar modified (by me) to fit over Patriot Stealth retractable tonneau. Aftermarket halo headlights with HID, various LED bulb replacements. 17" Fuel Blitz wheels with some 33" Nitto terra grapplers. Hoodscoop, nfab nerfbars, Bushwacker flares. No-name aftermarket grille, led fender extensions. Black Horse bambi-basher. Various offroad lights.
    Neat looking lights, the mixed reviews for SpecD has always pushed me away, hope you follow up with a long term review on them. Agree with @rons23, stick with a 35w ballast kit. Even though Headlight Revolution is one of the approved vendors here, I also highly recommend BRI Source - Your Geniune automotive Lighting resource - LED Xenon HID. When I was doing my HID setup and misordered some items, they were extremely helpful. When I added various misc leds to get to the free shipping price point, they literally sent me an email asking if that's what I was doing, they'd give me the free shipping anyways and asked if I really wanted the extra leds. Thats some pretty good service.

RobertD likes this.
  6. Sep 20, 2021 at 10:16 PM
    RoasterOven

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Crewmx SR5
    Yeah im not gonna lie I wouldn't get them either, I just took a risk in buying them, and after a year and half im not necessarily unsatisfied with them. But agian I wouldn't recommend them lol.

7. Sep 20, 2021 at 10:39 PM
    Gravy

Member:
    Yucaipa, California
    Vehicle:
    OME Nitrocharger/2612 (front), Bilstein 5100s (rear). Vanguard roll bar modified (by me) to fit over Patriot Stealth retractable tonneau. Aftermarket halo headlights with HID, various LED bulb replacements. 17" Fuel Blitz wheels with some 33" Nitto terra grapplers. Hoodscoop, nfab nerfbars, Bushwacker flares. No-name aftermarket grille, led fender extensions. Black Horse bambi-basher. Various offroad lights.
    Well, give us the honest pros and cons! Tell us WHY! :D

8. Sep 21, 2021 at 1:16 PM
    TGreggyP

TGreggyP New Member

Member:
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    @RoasterOven That looks great, I might be sold! How easy was the back illumination for the TOYOTA lettering? If you peeked at a forum and have the link handy could you drop that here?

I also share @Gravy's curiosity of pros and cons, Im trying to decided between these three options.

upload_2021-9-21_16-13-39.jpgupload_2021-9-21_16-13-39.jpgupload_2021-9-21_16-13-39.jpg

9. Sep 21, 2021 at 2:24 PM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    Just my opinion, but I wouldn't put cheap lights on a $40K plus truck. Condensation, incorrect aiming, etc are common issues with them. Very rarely do you see HID kits being used any more. Why not go LED with something like the TRD Pro headlights?

10. Sep 21, 2021 at 2:41 PM
    TGreggyP

TGreggyP New Member

Member:
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    Yeah, you're not wrong. Personally, I haven't had a big enough headache yet with any in the past to deter me from the aftermarket options. I am also still considering just replacing my stock 17 TRDP headlights, with an LED OEM option.

11. Sep 21, 2021 at 4:24 PM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    I bought Spec D'S to do a retrofit. The retrofit turned out good. The lights are not terrible, but there fitment is not the best. As Tundra234 mentioned, put some quality lights on. I went with the Alpharex Nova's and love them. If your happy with them, than that's all that matters. I think they look good. :thumbsup:

Gravy likes this.
  12. Sep 21, 2021 at 6:35 PM
    Gravy

Member:
    Yucaipa, California
    Vehicle:
    There's plenty of cheap mods that are crap on the market for sure, but there's plenty of decent ones too. It helps when the people that have tried them can tell us what's good, whats fixable and what's not. Condensation and aiming are moot points, both easily fixable (for the most part). Bad fitment is not. Also, not everyone shares the same aesthetic, sure Morimoto's and Alphrarex Novas are awesome, but a dropping a grand for headlights isnt an option for some, and the lack of choice from the better brands is another. I'm running a set of aftermarket halo projectors that cost me less than 200 for the set, and after 6 months they're holding up like champs, we'll see if they last until I feel like buying a more expensive set. Until then, I'd still like to see your feedback on the SpecDs @RoasterOven

RoasterOven[OP] likes this.
  13. Oct 7, 2021 at 9:19 PM
    RoasterOven

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Columbia, SC
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra Crewmx SR5
    Dang my bad guys I dont stop by often enough, but

#1 I make the back TRD pro grill backlighting as a kit: 20210427_224415.jpg 20210506_184401.jpg

A couple months ago I removed the white only version I had on my truck for a next generation color shifting version:

#2 I swapped out the stock halogens that came with the lights for leds bulbs. But I've never had an issue of condensation. But I have had and issue of a layer of plastic or film, (I think its a uv protection layer) peeling off the the lens. its still crystal clear, it's just that film is coming off and has been for months now, with no I'll effects.

But for me only being 21 at the time I couldn't afford to go for $1,000 headlights at that time, so these will do for now.

The fitment I'll give it a 9/10. Remember you'll lose the electronic headlight angle adjustment system with these and the factory leds and more expensive aftermarket options retain that feature.

I also got these for the look, I wanted them to be blacked out, tinted lens, and the white DRL U-bar.

Also I was also eventually going to open them up the add color leds in them. So cheap was better for me anyways.

Overall I'd give them a solid 6/10....still better than stock halogens

Gravy[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top