1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Spare key caused engine not to start - any suggestions for a fix?

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by 2014TundraFun, Jun 18, 2019.

1. Jun 18, 2019 at 6:42 AM
    2014TundraFun

2014TundraFun [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Black Tundra Double Cab
    Hi All, this past Saturday I jumped in my 2014 Toyota Tundra and used my spare key for the very first time (bought the truck used in Nov '18 and the spare key came with it - doesn't look like a factory key). The truck tried to start but wouldn't, I tried 2 or 3 times. I tried the original key after this but it didn't work either. The battery is fine. I had it hauled to a shop and they couldn't find anything wrong. They called Toyota and a few other dealers and the word is that the spare key has caused the truck to think it is being stolen and now it won't start. I'll be stopping by the shop later this morning to try the original key again but if it still won't start Toyota has told the service shop that the truck will have to be hauled to a Toyota dealer for further investigation. Just wondering if anyone has had this issue or heard of an easy fix?

2. Jun 18, 2019 at 6:46 AM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    Welcome from NY.
    Good luck with the key, keep us updated on the issue.

2014TundraFun[OP] likes this.
  3. Jun 18, 2019 at 7:15 AM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Try your fob to see if that will disable the security lock out. You could also try disconnecting the battery. I have a spare key that was made at home depot. No chip inside of it. When I made it, I tried it in the ignition and the truck would not start. After that I tried my original key and it worked fine. I can’t remember if I had to use the alarm fob or not. Worth a shot though.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  4. Jun 18, 2019 at 7:21 AM
    2014TundraFun

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thanks for the info, will ask about disconnecting the battery when I get to the shop. This truck doesn't have a key fob. You have to manually unlock the driver side door with the key and there is no remote lock/unlock ability. I will also trying locking the truck door and unlocking with the original key before trying the ignition.

15whtrd likes this.
  5. Jun 18, 2019 at 7:21 AM
    JohnLakeman

JohnLakeman Burning Internet Daylight

Member:
    Outside of Weird, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 MGM DC TSS 4.6L
    TRD Pro grille, 2018 LED Headlights, Undercover Flex bed cover, Neoprene seat covers, Bed/tailgate mats, Power tailgate lock, auto headlights, illuminated key switch
    The former owner had a spare key made by someone other than a Toyota dealer. I doubt that he ever tried the key to see if it worked. It either lacks the transponder chip of OEM keys, or the key chip was never registered in the ECU. A key not authorized by the ECU will shut off the ignition and fuel delivery to immobilize the truck, but I can't understand why the primary key doesn't work now. A dealer tech should get it all straightened out for you using Techstream.

Welcome to Tundras.com.

15whtrd and NewImprovedRon like this.
  6. Jun 18, 2019 at 7:22 AM
    2014TundraFun

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Thank you - I'll keep you all posted.

7. Jun 18, 2019 at 8:14 AM
    TundraMcGov.

TundraMcGov. Your friend. Your foe. Not yo Ho.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jofus
    Burpinham, Babalama
    Vehicle:
    2017 Super White DC 4X4 Tundra
    Since 1998, or so, all new American market trucks/cars have "keys" that must shake hands with the truck/car (ECU?) to authenticate that it is the authorized key. This to cut down on vehicle thefts.

Just know that your truck/car insurance company LOVES YOU!!!

2014TundraFun[OP] likes this.
  8. Jun 18, 2019 at 12:05 PM
    2014TundraFun

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Ha! yes, I suppose there is a bright side to this experience in just knowing someone can't steal it with another key :). The truck is on it's way to a Toyota dealer now as we still couldn't get it to start with the original key. It actually started rough the first try and then immediately stalled and after that it started doing the same thing as before, just trying to start but not actually starting. Thank you everyone for the information, much appreciated.

9. Feb 21, 2020 at 9:41 PM
    RedJugador24

RedJugador24 New Member

Member:
    What ended up being the solution to this? Did they have to re-program keys or what?

10. Feb 21, 2020 at 10:21 PM
    johnnyskullface

johnnyskullface New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Beaverton, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Tundra Limited Crewmax
    The spare key set an immobilizer code. I think if you just shut all the doors and lock the car, then open it again with the known good key and start it up with that same key it should work. The spare key either had to be registered by a dealer or was just useless except for maybe locking the glovebox and bed. At least thats my guess.

JohnLakeman likes this.
  11. Jul 9, 2021 at 2:10 AM
    Bassfisher

Bassfisher New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    D
    Vehicle:
    Toyota
    None
    I'm going through same thing right now. I had a key made at Home Depot because I sat on my other one and had bent it. I was afraid it was going to break off in the ignition therefore straightened it and made another. The car will crank, all the electrical works but will not fire. Put my original key in and it will start right up. Put the new one it just cranks. My problem now is I lost my original key. It only had open doors and close door and a panic button and trunk opener. I taken the thing apart change batteries there's no crazy Electronics in it. Has anyone found the solution to this. Greatly appreciated.

12. Jul 9, 2021 at 10:19 AM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Yeah it'll pull it, just don't expect to stop!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    Pretty sure if you get to a dealer parts counter with your vin they can make you a key.

Products Discussed in

To Top