1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SouthPaw’s 2000 Tundra Limited 4x4 Build

Discussion in '1st Gen Builds (2000-2006)' started by SouthPaw, Sep 21, 2019.

1. Sep 21, 2019 at 4:39 PM
    SouthPaw

SouthPaw [OP] The headlight guy

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited 4x4 AC
    Well this may not so much be a ‘build’ thread but more of a restoration/fix it thread. I found this truck for dirt cheap but it had been sitting for quite some time. Well in great shape for it’s age, it needed some TLC. I love forums and was thrilled to find this one and how active it was for such an old truck.

07/2021
    [​IMG]

03/01/21
    [​IMG]

01/13/20
    [​IMG]

Update - 04/23/20
    [​IMG]

Day that I brought it home:
    09/2019
    Details:
    2000 Toyota Tundra
    4.7L 4x4
    Bone stock
    172k on the clock
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After making a post here, first suggestion was to get all new fluid in everything along with a full service (oil, air and fuel filter). I drained the trans, tcase and rear diff. The front diff drain plug was already rounded but the all the fluid that came out of everything else was super clean. I did order a Allen bolt extractor and will probably remove it and drain in the next month or so. It also received a full detail inside and out. The seats had been covered in some direct fit seat covers for quite some time because after peeling them off, the original leather was in great condition! No rips, stains or any blemishes. I believe the seat covers had been on there since new.

[​IMG]

The next step was replacing the missing/yellowing lights. Upon removing removing the fog lights, the old nuts were so rusty, they all snapped off.... every single one except for the top. I did spray them down the night before with PB blaster but it had no effect. This directed me to cut off the remainder of the stud, drill new holes and secure them with new bolts, washers, lock washers and nuts. Looking back, I could have saved myself so time with self tapping screws and not had to drill new holes but self tappers just look so cheesy to me.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After looking at the exterior, one of the TRD logos was missing and the other severely weathered. The wheels were also in very poor shape. I found a set of decals on eBay and some new wheels from the friendly boys at Discount Tire. The wheels were on sale and in stock so it was a win win. The current tires are brand new all terrains that still had the chalk marks on them so I’m going to run them for now. I may change them out for some more aggressive tires like some Ridge Grapplers later.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I knew right away to make this old girl acceptable by the old lady, it was going to need a backup camera. $60 on Amazon and some hard work, it now has one. The install of the radio wasn’t terrible but the dash bezel wasn’t as excepting of the double din. It required me to whittle out the bezel with my dremel to make it fit. I’m not sure if it was the radio that didn’t fit or the bezel was too small. Either way, it’s in there now and it works great.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Next was integrating the factory key fobs. After researching that it did have the factory security system (RS3000), I opted to order the fobs online. Well after a bit more research and winter coming up, I made some calls about adding remote start. I called the local Car Toys and they quoted me $500! I was a bit shocked for an older vehicle and decided to call around. I called another local car toys type of place and they guy actually had a 2002 Sequioa 4.7L and began telling me how easy it was to install on these trucks. $250 out the door for a viper 4105v remote/alarm with a lifetime warranty, SOLD! It goes in next week.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2021
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. Sep 21, 2019 at 5:02 PM
    because_wumbo-truck

because_wumbo-truck TTC#036 & 1st Degenerate

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 AC Tundra Limited 4x4 v8
    flowmaster 40, DDI injectors, sliders, bumper
    Nice find. You're making her look good.

I think white limiteds must've been well taken care of by most owners because I see so many of them and they're usually not in bad shape.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  3. Sep 21, 2019 at 5:11 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    Nice looking Limited! Great build potential.

because_wumbo-truck likes this.
  4. Sep 21, 2019 at 5:19 PM
    Blueknights75

Blueknights75 040 IS THE FASTEST

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Clayton, NC
    Vehicle:
    18’ TRD CM leveled with 295/70 Ridge Grapplers
    Welcome and congrats on one beautiful truck! Plus it’s white!! Win win!!

5. Sep 21, 2019 at 5:20 PM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    Most of the white ones I see are in horrible shape due to the single stage paint job. Terribly oxidized.

6. Sep 21, 2019 at 5:34 PM
    because_wumbo-truck

because_wumbo-truck TTC#036 & 1st Degenerate

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2006 AC Tundra Limited 4x4 v8
    flowmaster 40, DDI injectors, sliders, bumper
    I see a lot of that too but down here it's not always white. I think the proximity to the coast and to so many refineries and chemical plants has adverse effects on most non garage kept/not often washed paint jobs in the Houston area. But at least we don't have to worry about frame rot.

7. Sep 22, 2019 at 5:14 PM
    KarmaKannon

KarmaKannon Master of None

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    2006 Double Cab w/long travel
    Some junk
    If you are looking for a good bang-buck project. Might I suggest getting your camera installed in your tailgate latch handle recess. I love mine

IMG_20190729_193557.jpg
    IMG_20190729_193601.jpg

8. Sep 23, 2019 at 11:54 AM
    SouthPaw

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited 4x4 AC
    Thanks everyone!

Does anyone know where I can get two things:

Front license plate bracket/holder - OEM style preferred instead of a universal
    Bed tie-down/anchor points - There are mounting points in the bed from the factory but I am missing the two front ones.

9. Sep 23, 2019 at 12:00 PM
    SouthPaw

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited 4x4 AC
    I like that idea! Just afraid someone not paying attention opening my tailgate would rip it off lol.

10. Sep 27, 2019 at 5:18 PM
    3.4Tundra

3.4Tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    So. California
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Tundra 2wd
    Bilstein 5100
    Which camera did you go with? I bought one off Amazon and the image is flipped. I can't find any setting on the head unit to rotate the image... Might need the camera you have to pull this mod off

11. Sep 27, 2019 at 5:28 PM
    KarmaKannon

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Some junk
    https://www.amazon.com/Downside-COOLINT-Multifunction-Switchers-Design-Black/dp/B016I91IK2

That's the one I used. This one can be flipped by cutting an extra wire that I think was green.

speedtre likes this.
  12. Sep 27, 2019 at 6:23 PM
    3.4Tundra

3.4Tundra New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    So. California
    Vehicle:
    2006 V8 Tundra 2wd
    Bilstein 5100
  13. Oct 6, 2019 at 8:47 PM
    SouthPaw

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited 4x4 AC
    I never can get my head around why these older rigs are always missing the spare tire stuff. This tundra was no different but I was lucky to score a complete kit off craigslist for $20! Jack, wrenches, pouch and rubber band holder thingy!

14. Oct 12, 2019 at 1:52 PM
    SouthPaw

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited 4x4 AC
    I got tired of people asking me if it was a V6 so I decided to slap a new exhaust on it. I decided on an Aero Turbine AT2525. I’ve used Aero’s on all my previous trucks and they have all sounded nice. Nice low rumble at idle, pretty quiet while cruising but a nice bark when you open it up. It does have a slight drone around 60mph/2KRPM but it’s not terrible. This truck is a lot smaller than the others I put Aero’s on so I’m assuming it’s because I’m closer to the muffler. I also threw a cheap black tip on from Amazon and it looks pretty damn good.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

S
    ound clips. Videos don’t do it justice but it’s got a nice bark at a cold start, mild idle and cruising speed but when you go WOT; it really opens up.
    https://youtu.be/juIVpLq4D_U

https://youtu.be/4AJPf6Vg8EI

https://youtu.be/ROuvBSYMfuA

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
    lsaami and KarmaKannon like this.
  15. Oct 28, 2019 at 5:20 PM
    SouthPaw

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited 4x4 AC
    Scored on a few things off craigslist today. New battery strap and bed anchors for $15. I was just about to order some online for $40, without the bolts.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

KarmaKannon likes this.
  16. Nov 12, 2019 at 7:10 PM
    SouthPaw

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited 4x4 AC
    Old girl rolled 175k on the clock yesterday. I can’t say enough good things about this truck. I bought this truck 9/10/19 and have put about 5k on it. It brings a smile to my face every time I drive it.

[​IMG]

Tundrahundra and speedtre like this.
  17. Nov 15, 2019 at 11:59 AM
    SouthPaw

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited 4x4 AC
    Got this mounted the other night. I plan on removing that lower panel to tuck the cord behind it completely.

[​IMG]

KarmaKannon likes this.
  18. Nov 15, 2019 at 12:06 PM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    I like that. Which light is that and did it come with the mount?

19. Nov 15, 2019 at 12:12 PM
    SouthPaw

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited 4x4 AC
    You're lucky I am nice :p. It took me FOREVER to find a universal flashlight mount. I searched everything and nothing would come up except bike/handlebar mounts.

I bought this light here https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0795P5VFQ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

and this mount here: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07H1QWHMW/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The mount comes with (2) big mounts and (2) little ones so I ended up with some extras that I will find a use for I am sure. The flashlight had great reviews and it was cheap. I didn't want to spend a ton of money on it since I am not sure how it will hold up to the weather (cold/hot temps).

FirstGenVol[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Nov 21, 2019 at 10:43 AM
    SouthPaw

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited 4x4 AC
    I went a little Amazon crazy today but I had $20 gift card to burn so this was a good excuse. Almost got everything for $120 and will all be here tomorrow! Hopefully I can get it all done on Saturday if my plans go accordingly.

Waterproof fuse block:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07HDZVW3P/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Flush mount LED pods for the rear bumper:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00J5AAX5S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

20" LED light bar for the front. Still have to figure out where/how I a will be mounting it and will gladly take any input:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00WE47FVM/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Adapter socket for the invertor that I will be mounting under the passenger seat:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B075KF1K84/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Two Gang rocker switch panel for the light bar and rear lights:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RXRTH3V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(2) wiring harnesses for the lights with remotes. I thought the remote would be a nice tough for the front light bar and I will probably throw the rear one in the glove box:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01DOUV83K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Oh, and the negative battery cable that the previous owner hacked apart:
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000JYFIN6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

21. Nov 30, 2019 at 6:17 PM
    SouthPaw

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited 4x4 AC
    Finally got everything done. One weekend did the rear lights, next weekend the front light bar and inverter. I’m really glad I bought the fuse block as it was much needed. I could have gotten things done a lot quicker but I wanted to make sure all the wires were tucked away and were wrapped in loom. I also made some custom brackets for the front light bar so I didn’t have to drill into anything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Here is the switch panel mounted. It fit perfect right here and required very little fitting behind the kick panel.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 30, 2019
    Darkness and KarmaKannon like this.
  22. Nov 30, 2019 at 6:25 PM
    SouthPaw

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited 4x4 AC
    Also got the inverter mounted under the passenger seat. Super easy to do and I highly recommend it. I was able to get an inverter for free from work since I’m mobile a lot and need a way to charge my laptop.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I had to modify the floor mat a bit with a razor but it fits well.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

23. Dec 9, 2019 at 5:27 PM
    SouthPaw

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited 4x4 AC
    She got some ‘new’ skins today. Found a great deal on a like new set of LT265/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs. The duratracs were the last tires on my list and I was actually going to pick up a set of Falken Wildpeak’s until these popped up. The price was right so I jumped on them. They are a little louder than Pathfinder AT’s I had but it was expected. They rub a little more too so I might need to do some trimming. I think they look great and give the truck a whole new look.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
    Darkness and imDementeD like this.
  24. Dec 27, 2019 at 8:47 PM
    SouthPaw

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited 4x4 AC
    Little things make a big difference. Replaced all the interior bulbs and reverse bulbs with LED’s. Makes a HUGE difference for the door lights as well as the reverse lights. She also rolled 177k today.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 27, 2019
  25. Dec 30, 2019 at 1:04 PM
    SouthPaw

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited 4x4 AC
    I'm probably going to regret this but I am going to attempt to retrofit my Tundra with some mini H1 projectors. @KarmaKannon just made it look so dang easy! The only thing I am doing different is adding some halos so I can make it easier to see when it's remote started. As of now, the parking lights turn on when it's running but in the daytime, it's really hard to see. Hopefully the halos don't look too cheesy. I ordered two 'kits' and will be returning one if the halo does not fit the Ni-light kit. I am actually hopefully as the last retro fit I did (2015 Silverado 1500 LTZ) was a total PITA. I did not separate the lens from the housing but snuck it in through the back which was extremely difficult. I am hoping since these headlights are easy to take on/off, this should go pretty smooth. I already have the HID kit so I ordered new bulbs. I'll do my best to document on how to do it but another member posted a pretty good write up already.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 14, 2020
    Darkness, imDementeD and KarmaKannon like this.
  26. Jan 2, 2020 at 1:17 PM
    SouthPaw

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited 4x4 AC
    Well -

Got them in yesterday. For the most part, it was a smooth install. I did a few extra things which took a little more time to complete but worth it in the end. I ended using the brand with the built in halos. They seem to be great quality and the cutoff line was pretty good. When comparing the halos side by side, the halos were 100x brighter the others ones I purchased. This is a picture of them side by side with them both being powered:

[​IMG]

Setup my work station:
    [​IMG]

The YUFANYA kit came with everything that was needed and the halos snap into the shroud they provide. They don't quite sit flush so I got them all even and tightened down the screws. I also painted the black since I hate chrome (sponsored by Modelo)

[​IMG]

Pretty much followed the instructions here and modified a few things along the way (https://www.tundras.com/threads/how...ofit-w-mini-h1-7-0-bi-xenon-projectors.41187/). This was an excellent post.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One thing I didn't notice in the How-To thread was it didn't mention about putting the lens back together. I lined the housing with butyl tape and put them back in the over for 10min@225* to pushed them back together. It works great.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here is the finished product.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

I did have one major screw up on the install for the halos. When they were shipped, there was a tiny black box connected to them that had two wires to the halos (+/-) and three wires coming out the other end (red+/black-/white+). I ASSUMED that the black box was only to run the white wire and not needed so I took it off. Well the halos ran fine on the bench every time I tested them and they ran fine when I put them on the truck and powered them via the park lights. After a few test drives, they died. Speaking to the supplier, they said the black box is the driver and has to be used otherwise it will kill them. So I killed them after I sealed up the headlight :annoyed:. Lesson learned and I have the replacements on their way. I think this time around, I should be able to get it done pretty quick since I know what I am doing. Overall, I think the upgrade is defeintely worth it as long as you don't make the mistake I did. The light output is so much better and it actually is usable. I will be the first to admit, the HID's in the stock housing SUCKED! This is really worth it.

27. Jan 5, 2020 at 5:50 PM
    SouthPaw

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited 4x4 AC
    Got the new halos in today and this time around, it went a lot smoother. Anyways, I’m pretty happy the way they turned out.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

28. Jan 5, 2020 at 5:59 PM
    CodyP

CodyP Such a n00b

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    CDA, ID
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra 4x4 DC
    boy to have that kinda time.... Everything looks great though. Welcome and thanks for sharing.

29. Jan 5, 2020 at 6:18 PM
    SouthPaw

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2000 Limited 4x4 AC
    Every one has time! I mean, it does help we don’t have kids lol.

Honestly, if I had to do it all over again, I could get the whole thing done in an hour. I’ve honestly even considered selling finished assemblies just not sure if I want that task or not. I see guys selling the morimoto ones for $500 plus so I figured some guys would be happier with some more budget friendly ones.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2020
    Darkness and CodyP[QUOTED] like this.
  30. Jan 5, 2020 at 6:26 PM
    KarmaKannon

Member:
    Utah
    Vehicle:
    Some junk
    I have thought the same thing about doing it a second time. I think I could get it done pretty fast. Looks like I'll have a chance to try because my marker lights are leaking and the seller is supposed to be sending the whole kit out to me. I'm assuming this includes new headlights too. If that's the case I guess I'm going to do another retrofit with my new found knowledge.

To Top