1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Somebody make me feel better about salary negotiation...

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by TrashcanBand, Feb 11, 2021.

1. Feb 11, 2021 at 9:38 PM
    TrashcanBand

TrashcanBand [OP] New Member

Member:
    CenTex
    Vehicle:
    Tundra
    I’m in the midst of potentially changing my life. In doing so, some salary negotiations are ongoing. It’s nothing too too wild. They gave me an offer I didn’t hate, but I felt that they could do better.. it was ever so slightly less than I’m pulling in now. I countered with a number I know I won’t get... I don’t think. I did so on the grounds that the area I’ll be moving into is slightly more expensive than where I am now. So I’m hoping they’ll meet me in the middle at a number we both are happy with. All... 6... of my interviews were sparkling and I received great feedback from everyone involved. This process from first contact to now has taken all of a week so we’re moving at light speed. They’re trying to rapidly build a solid team for this department so I figured that gave me a little leverage in negotiation. I wasn’t a nervous wreck AT ALL until this back and forth started as I’ve never done this sort of thing before. So, PLEASE, share some feel good stories about any salary negotiations that you guys have experienced in your careers.

sorry if it seems scatter brained. It’s late, this is a wonderful opportunity for my family and myself, and I’m honestly shitting bricks over here over this. :oops:

Boerseun and Rica25 like this.
  2. Feb 11, 2021 at 9:42 PM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    Always ask for what you want, and if they come back with the same number as before try another route. Tell them "Well, that will be difficult with the increased cost of living, but I could make it work if you give me X days of PTO to start and I gain more over time" type of thing. I've not personally done this, but worked with several who have. It all depends on your leverage. If you are a good fit for the job, have applicable experience, and have interviewed well, then you likely have some wiggle room. Just don't price yourself out of the job.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2021
    RobertD, TrashcanBand[OP] and kparrow like this.
  3. Feb 11, 2021 at 9:44 PM
    kparrow

kparrow New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Nampa, ID
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra DC 4x4 5.7l V8 Blue Streak Metallic
    Goodyear UltraTerrain AT 275/70/r18, Stoptech Cryo Slotted Rotors/Hawk LTS Pads, DECKED, and lots more!
    Clearly they want to get you on board and they offered you the job. It does not hurt to counter what they offered. The worst they will say is no, no wiggle room. At best they give you full ask. Reality is they will meet you somewhere in the middle. They already extended an offer so they won’t just walk away. Keep your head up and eagerly await their answer. Remember, money is important but not everything. If it’s something you want to do, go for it!

4. Feb 11, 2021 at 9:44 PM
    Hbjeff

Hbjeff New Member

Member:
    Huntington Beach
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC 5.7 2wd
    Trd sways, bullydog, magnaflow, sumo springs
    Hang in there man. Be proud you tried for more. Worst case scenario they stick with the offer you said you didn’t hate. You can always look for more/different in the future if they say no

TrashcanBand[OP] likes this.
  5. Feb 11, 2021 at 9:46 PM
    TrashcanBand

Member:
    CenTex
    Vehicle:
    Tundra

I hear you. I ticked all of the boxes. Everyone I spoke with assured me of that. I didn’t come at them with anything obscene. So I’m probably wigging out over absolutely nothing.

Terndrerrr and GODZILLA[QUOTED] like this.
  6. Feb 11, 2021 at 9:50 PM
    TrashcanBand

Member:
    CenTex
    Vehicle:
    Tundra
    Understood. I’m sure we’ll compromise. If/when we do, it’s going to be a wild year!

kparrow[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Feb 11, 2021 at 9:50 PM
    TrashcanBand

Member:
    CenTex
    Vehicle:
    Tundra
  8. Feb 11, 2021 at 9:52 PM
    RobertD

RobertD SSEM#123, ASCM#4 "I call it Vera" ~Jayne Cobb

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    DFW, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 Blazing Blue SR5 4x4 Crewmax
    If had 2 scenarios where I've countered. The first was an entry level position and when I was joining the company I knew the role was less intense then my previous job (had to leave the first company and wanted in with the second company) first offer was pretty low and I came back using similar logic you did (cost of living increase, etc) stated what my previous pay was, but understood this was different but I wanted X amount which was between. They got back to me quickly accepting the amount. Made me doubt if I should have asked for more...

My most recent job change was internal to the same company but was between drastically different areas. I was told by management and HR essentially as I got the offer that that was it, take it or leave it...

It's always stressful. Hold in there and i hope it all works out!! :thumbsup::fingerscrossed:

9. Feb 11, 2021 at 10:08 PM
    Terndrerrr

Terndrerrr guzzling dealer repellent

Member:
    Music City
    Vehicle:
    Dual 5.7s
    TRD Fox, RAS, 285/75 DTs, dual battery, SS3 Pro
    It seems they’ll either agree, counter, or say take it or leave it. It sounds like all three outcomes are more than acceptable to you, so if they agree to your number or counter with a number in-between, that’s just gravy.

10. Feb 11, 2021 at 10:25 PM
    1lowlife

1lowlife Toxic prick and pavement princess..

Member:
    First Name:
    DADA
    THE GREAT STATE OF TEXAS
    Vehicle:
    2014 MGM DC SR5
    I'm glad to see you fighting for what you feel deserve, I think that may be a lost art these days.
    I would think they would appreciate you knowing your worth, instead of taking the first offer and laying down taking it.
    That they will hire someone that will put froth more effort, knowing that they have proved themselves..
    I hope it all works out..:thumbsup:

This also makes me thankful I haven't had a job interview since February of 1986 when I was 24 years old..
    I'll have 35 years in with my current employer on 3/5/2021..:D

kparrow, akmerle, Black Wolf and 4 others like this.
  11. Feb 11, 2021 at 10:36 PM
    TrashcanBand

Member:
    CenTex
    Vehicle:
    Tundra
    Thank you!

And YES, be thankful! This is the first time I’ve EVER interviewed where the entire team of people I spoke with were “on my level”. The norm these days is speaking with people from up and down the ladder who are all lead by an HR person and equipped with a list of questions that HAD TO have been written by Freud and are built for pure psychoanalysis rather than relevant information pertaining to the job and one’s experience. My discussions with these people were all about the latter and were fantastic. The whole process has been a joy and completely refreshing... up to now! :rofl:

12. Feb 11, 2021 at 11:36 PM
    dittothat

dittothat New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    SD
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Platinum
    Go for the big bucks! More money; more mods

Jack McCarthy, dpast88 and Haggis777 like this.
  13. Feb 12, 2021 at 1:00 AM
    wingnutted

wingnutted New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    2006 Black Tundra TRD Double Cab
    Looking at this with experience on both sides of the negotiating table, there is pretty much always room to move from the initial offer. It might not be a straight cash increase, but you can and should get creative. Common counter-offers that I see frequently are to have additional PTO (which may or may not fly depending on company policy), signing bonus, paid relocation, non-cash perks such as paid cell phone or car depending on the level of role that you're going into.

I will say that my personal favorite, and the one that I will almost always work with, is when a candidate comes back and wants to work out a performance based bonus that wasn't part of the initial offer. Again, it is very role dependent, but it could be productivity based or to help solve a particular problem. This approach tells me that you're willing to work to earn it, and that you're excited and engaged with the new role. The plus side for you is that you're now setting the framework for consistent performance bonuses in the future.

Let me know if interested in discussing further, and best wishes!

Last edited: Feb 12, 2021
    kparrow and TrashcanBand[OP] like this.
  14. Feb 12, 2021 at 2:28 AM
    TrashcanBand

Member:
    CenTex
    Vehicle:
    Tundra
    You’re not far off of where we are right now and I’m hoping that’s how they’re seeing this! The recruiter that’s been with me through this whole process says that the company is pretty flexible with equity... more so than with hourly rates. She said what they’ll probably do is come back with a wage that splits the difference and then an increase the pretty significant amount of equity they already offered initially(a roundabout signing bonus in my eyes). They did offer a lump $5k for relocation, also, so that made me happy. The hourly wage is the only partial hang-up. I gotta make sure I can still squirrel money away after bills where I’m going!

Boerseun likes this.
  15. Feb 12, 2021 at 3:31 AM
    Zero One Actual

Zero One Actual Member among Members

Member:
    Do not forget that direct take home pay is not the only number that can be adjusted.
    Can you ask for a higher 401k match? So instead of 3 or 5 percent company match ask for 8 or 10 percent match.

Is there a bonus structure and if so ask for a higher percentage there as well.

As mentioned above. Extra PTO or vacation days are another option that although not showing up via direct deposit still add up over the years.

Can they offer you a date of your next promotion and salary raise?

“Ok guys/gals, I would love to work here and I am willing to take a little less to start, how about we get a contract written up that states in one year from my start date if I’m doing a good job I get a (insert percentage here) raise then instead of now up front?”

Also if you are doing six interviews you are either at Chick-fil-A or Delta or a tight company that has the funding to pay you. Or maybe GameStop?

TrashcanBand[OP] and tacobell007 like this.
  16. Feb 12, 2021 at 4:17 AM
    glowblue

glowblue From time to time

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 —> 2021 F-250 XLT
    In addition to what others say, your negotiating leverage depends a lot on how hard the position is to fill and the availability of quality candidates. Does this position require unique hard to find skills? What’s the market like for this type of position?

In my past experiences hiring people, if I had several candidates who were equally qualified, we would offer a competitive salary and hold firm knowing that if the candidate turned us down we had other options.

I’ve also hired people where I didn’t have a lot of other options and had gone through a long list of unqualified candidates so it was important to get the candidate to accept an offer.

You’ll probably get an idea when they respond to your counter - they may just say, sorry our first offer stands take it or leave it, or they’ll be willing to work with you. Keep this in perspective.

If this is a position you really want and think it’s a good fit, money isn’t everything either. There are a lot of people who get paid very well but are in jobs they hate and that’s no fun either.

kparrow and TrashcanBand[OP] like this.
  17. Feb 12, 2021 at 5:26 AM
    eick

eick New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 CrewMax TRD Off Road
    I would personally never accept a 'take it or leave it' offer. Shows mindset of management, how they value people, etc. In the long run you're better off holding out for a better offer from a better company that doesn't treat people that way. But I would also not judge anyone for taking any job offer, everyone's circumstances are different.

18. Feb 12, 2021 at 5:51 AM
    T-Guy69

T-Guy69 New Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    Black 2020 Tundra SR5
    Airn890 likes this.
  19. Feb 12, 2021 at 6:38 AM
    TrashcanBand

Member:
    CenTex
    Vehicle:
    Tundra
    Y’all are all making me feel better. The first thing I asked about the rate was whether or not it was negotiable. And since it was, I fired a counter back at them. Considering the speed at which this interview process took place, the niche skill set in brining to the table, and the criticality of the role, I figured I had some leverage. I’m getting an update today. So I’m very hopeful that this is it.

kparrow, Boerseun and RainMan_PNW like this.
  20. Feb 12, 2021 at 6:40 AM
    TrashcanBand

Member:
    CenTex
    Vehicle:
    Tundra
    If you keep guessing you’ll get it. It’s definitely a brand that’s in vogue at present.

21. Feb 12, 2021 at 6:45 AM
    TrashcanBand

Member:
    CenTex
    Vehicle:
    Tundra
    This resonates. I get paid well to do what I do currently. It’s just that the environment has gone stale and toxic. And the outlook for the facility doesn’t look great in my eyes because they’re not spending money where they need to to keep things safe and efficient. I’ll be doing VERY similar work for this new employer so I fit the bill for what they’re looking for. Plus, I get to blaze a trail for them as this facility I’m being offered a position in is under construction.

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  22. Feb 12, 2021 at 10:21 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    I'm coming at it from the opposite perspective in my current job search given the state of the economy and how many thousands of people have been laid off in our province in the last year. Partially I'm looking at slightly different roles than what I was doing before that are more technically challenging but have less responsibility overall (less administrative / less managerial) so I'm ok with a lower salary than I was making before from that perspective and I'm also thinking part of the reason my company had to do massive layoffs is probably because everyone there is being overpaid by 20%. (Also, a lower salary than I was making before is still better than the 0 I'm making now.)

I've been told by job search coaches that companies aren't likely to pay less than you're worth because folks know what the market will bear and wouldn't stick around if they're being underpaid. So I like to err on the low side with my salary expectations - best case: I get paid more than I'm expecting; worst case: I'll be paid what I'm expecting. If you go in high, you could eliminate yourself from the conversation even if you're the best candidate in every other way.

But I'm probably also in a different place in my career than you, different industries, different location/market, etc.

23. Feb 12, 2021 at 10:32 AM
    TrashcanBand

Member:
    CenTex
    Vehicle:
    Tundra
    This is a good perspective also. If you work in Alberta, you’re probably in O&G right? That’s where I’m at anyway. My whole thing is that I don’t want to get pigeon holed into a niche that has really blown up in popularity around these parts. If I were to get laid off, finding another job in a market flooded with 300+ new, experienced applicants where 5-10 positions become available at a site for 2000+ applicants to fight over would be tough.

This new job will allow me to take my skill set and apply it into a new setting. So it’s a win win for me.

Anyway, the company came back to me with a reasonable offer this morning and I jumped on it. All they have to do is approve it at an executive level and I’m home and dry.

Thanks for the replies!

24. Feb 12, 2021 at 10:35 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Yeah, I was laid off from a company in the downstream oil industry. I've been looking at downstream and midstream but also seeing if I could potentially get out of O&G and into something else that doesn't have those boom and bust cycles.

We all know O&G is going to be around and important for the next 30+ years but the industry is going to get more and more challenging and less and less popular so, if I can get into something else, now's the time to do it while I'm still young enough to make the switch and bring my transferrable skills with me before, as you say, I get pigeon-holed into being "Mr. Big Oil", as my friends called me after my three university internships with two big industry players.

Boerseun likes this.
  25. Feb 12, 2021 at 11:27 AM
    TrashcanBand

Member:
    CenTex
    Vehicle:
    Tundra
    Understandable. O&G will be around, yes. But piddly little refineries like mine are struggling. I fear it won’t last too much longer so I’m dipping out.

26. Feb 12, 2021 at 11:45 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    I'm surprised there are still any little guys around.

27. Feb 12, 2021 at 11:53 AM
    TrashcanBand

Member:
    CenTex
    Vehicle:
    Tundra
    Yeah. There was a 200KB+ Shell refinery down the road in Convent, LA that was mothballed this past fall because SHELL, of all companies, could not find a buyer. My plant is smaller and we’ve been having issues even before Covid trashed margins. So I do t want to stick around and find out what may happen when they try to sell this thing after they get their shiny, new Cracker up and beneficial.

28. Feb 12, 2021 at 12:03 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Yeah, the Shell refinery and upgrader in our area is one of the ones they elected to keep open, primarily because there's currently no way to get product into Alberta, I'm sure.

29. Feb 12, 2021 at 12:16 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun MGM XP-Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota Florida
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM XP-Series CrewMax 4x4
    It sounds to me that you handled it correctly.
    There is always the opportunity to ask for more as long as you do it respectfully. Nobody should expect you to take a new job if it requires a pay cut, unless there is a reason for it that is understood by both parties.
    Often times there are perks such as 401k match, vacation time, bonusses etc. that can make up for a smaller wage.

Either way, I am wishing you the best. Let us know what happened.

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  30. Feb 12, 2021 at 12:21 PM
    Boerseun

Boerseun MGM XP-Series

Member:
    First Name:
    Ferdie
    Sarasota Florida
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM XP-Series CrewMax 4x4
    Reminds me of my very first job interview, many years ago. I did not know that the wage was negotiable; just too glad to get a job. The interviewer, Dan, already had a number in mind, and a letter typed up what he wanted to offer me, but thought I was going to negotiate, so he started with a low ball offer.

Dan: We offer you a starting salary of $16/hr.
    Me: OK
    Dan: Uhm, how about $16.50?
    Me: OK, that sounds good. Thanks.
    Dan: Uhm, Well, I can do $17.00
    Me: OK, That's good. Thank you.
    Dan: (Shaking his head) We will start you at $18.00. Here is your offer letter. See you on Monday.

LOL

Cpl_Punishment and RainMan_PNW like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top