1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

[SOLVED] Back up camera stopped working

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by JeffMac, Feb 15, 2022.

1. Feb 15, 2022 at 12:01 PM
    JeffMac

JeffMac [OP] 2 Words, 1 Finger

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tundra OVTUNE
    Suspension: Bilstein 6150 Front Max Setting CB Shim 2x Driver 1x Passenger Bilstein 5160 Rear CB +3 Shackles Firestone Airbags w/ Daystar Craddles Engine: OVTUNE - 87 w/ Torque Modifier SABM w/ K&N Filter TB Coolant Bypass Fumoto Drain Plug Wheels/Tires: ProComp Bandidos 0mm Offset Nitto Exo Grappler AWT 285/70/18 Exterior: TRD Pro Grille Spyder Headlights/Taillights Ecoological Bumpershellz LED everything Tinted windows Bakflip MX4 Tonneau Cover K-Source Tow Mirrors Interior: Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX Radio 2x 10” Pioneer Subwoofers 1200W Pioneer Mono Amp 2000W Pioneer 4 Channel Amp
    [SOLVED] 2/27/2022
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/solved-back-up-camera-stopped-working.102889/#post-2660421

[ISSUE]
    I’ve searched the forums and can’t find anybody actually post there solution besides a new head unit replaced.

I have a 2015 Tundra CM Sr5 and my backup camera was cutting out for a couple months during the winter. It is now completely blacked out with no image. I have an aftermarket Pioneer head unit. Removed it today and all connections were fine.

Ive checked the rad fuse and it’s fine. Crawled under the vehicle from tailgate connection to the front and couldn’t see any broken wires. Disconnected tailgate connector and re connected the connections had no debris. My back up lights also work.

I’m in the middle of a move and won’t have access to any of my tools until the weekend. So I don't have a meter to check the camera is getting power.

Do these cameras die randomly? Is there anything I can do right now with minimal tools.

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 27, 2022
  2. Feb 15, 2022 at 12:06 PM
    JeffMac

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tundra OVTUNE
    Suspension: Bilstein 6150 Front Max Setting CB Shim 2x Driver 1x Passenger Bilstein 5160 Rear CB +3 Shackles Firestone Airbags w/ Daystar Craddles Engine: OVTUNE - 87 w/ Torque Modifier SABM w/ K&N Filter TB Coolant Bypass Fumoto Drain Plug Wheels/Tires: ProComp Bandidos 0mm Offset Nitto Exo Grappler AWT 285/70/18 Exterior: TRD Pro Grille Spyder Headlights/Taillights Ecoological Bumpershellz LED everything Tinted windows Bakflip MX4 Tonneau Cover K-Source Tow Mirrors Interior: Pioneer AVH-W4500NEX Radio 2x 10” Pioneer Subwoofers 1200W Pioneer Mono Amp 2000W Pioneer 4 Channel Amp
    I also had Sylvania Zevo backup leds. I’ve had these for a couple years and not sure if this would be an issue.

3. Feb 15, 2022 at 7:55 PM
    vipgs3

vipgs3 New Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tundra 4x4
    maybe internal failure of the camera?

JeffMac[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  4. Feb 16, 2022 at 9:00 AM
    JeffMac

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tundra OVTUNE
    I ordered a new camera last night. It should be here Friday. Hoping that is the problem. With these massive trucks a backup camera is a luxury I truly miss.

RobertD and Seafury like this.
  5. Feb 18, 2022 at 12:27 PM
    JeffMac

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tundra OVTUNE
    New camera came in and installed it. Screen is still black. Need to get my hands on a multimeter now I guess to test voltages.

Seafury likes this.
  6. Feb 18, 2022 at 1:26 PM
    Seafury

Seafury Kickin names, and takin ass!

Member:
    First Name:
    Agent K
    SC Low Country
    Vehicle:
    2014 White 1794 "SnowWhite aka the Frost Queen"
    Bilstein 6112/5160, 3 CB front shims, SPC UCA's, CB +3 rear Shackles, total 3/2 lift, Dif drop, CB Carrier bearing drop, Fortin Evo One remote start from Tech12volts PnP, AMP research Powersteps PnP, Vent shades, Tinted windows, Black/Red lined cupholder inserts, Proclip USA dash phone mount with Scosche Magic Mount wireless magnetic phone charger, Stock wheels/tires for now.
    Maybe the port for the camera in your aftermarket radio blew up?

I have a problem with surround sound multimedia home stereo receiver hdmi ports dying over time so I have to connect things to odd hdmi ports.
    Like my cable is on BD/DVD on the receiver instead of the SAT/CABLETV setting cause that hdmi port died.

So many things are such junk these days.

Getting tired of this disposable society we live in.
    Most things absolutely can be made to last a very long time, I would rather pay more for that quality than deal with shit always failing or partially failing.
    Especially electronics/appliances.

Definitely going to need to check your signal to the camera next with that multimeter.
    Don't run over yourself or others with the truck in reverse checking that signal :thumbsup:

Let us know what you find out.

JeffMac[OP] likes this.
  7. Feb 18, 2022 at 4:13 PM
    JeffMac

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tundra OVTUNE
    After your post I pulled out my head unit and tested the other video ports and none of them worked.

I’ll prob buy a cheap multimeter tomorrow. Our closing got pushed until Tuesday so all my tools are stuck in our Pod.

Does anybody have the backup
    Camera wiring diagram? Or know where the camera draws power from. If anything wouldn’t I be able to just rewire it to the trailer plug in?

8. Feb 18, 2022 at 5:00 PM
    Tundra234

Tundra234 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra DC SR5 Barcelona
    Alot of them
    https://www.tundras.com/threads/ultimate-wiring-diagrams-collection.81448/

9. Feb 19, 2022 at 8:29 AM
    Seafury

Member:
    First Name:
    Agent K
    SC Low Country
    Vehicle:
    Bilstein 6112/5160, 3 CB front shims, SPC UCA's, CB +3 rear Shackles, total 3/2 lift, Dif drop, CB Carrier bearing drop, Fortin Evo One remote start from Tech12volts PnP, AMP research Powersteps PnP, Vent shades, Tinted windows, Black/Red lined cupholder inserts, Proclip USA dash phone mount with Scosche Magic Mount wireless magnetic phone charger, Stock wheels/tires for now.
    You mean you put the camera on another video camera port on the HU and it still did not work?

Then that sounds like camera or wiring from camera to HU.

That sucks man, sorry your having a tough time when you need your truck at its best.

Can't win them all.

10. Feb 19, 2022 at 8:54 AM
    Bakershack

Bakershack Critical of Noncritical Thinkers

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Spanish Fort, AL
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM 1794 4x4
    Having to change ports that often would make me suspect the cables. Do you have quality HDMI cables?

JeffMac[OP] likes this.
  11. Feb 19, 2022 at 12:26 PM
    Seafury

Member:
    First Name:
    Agent K
    SC Low Country
    Vehicle:
    They are not super high end expensive ones, but they are not trash either, not sure what brand.

I've tried swapping the cables, that's how I figured out the ports on the receiver went bad.
    Seems a fairly known issue with some units, and mines not a high-end unit either so I get what I pay for (sort of lol)

Just sucks when something like that blows the main functions you bought it for.

Anyway, hope the OP gets his issue sorted without to much more pain.

Having to chase the wiring down is going to suck, let alone have to replace it or something.

12. Feb 19, 2022 at 2:11 PM
    JeffMac

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tundra OVTUNE
    Yes I plugged the camera into my other 2 video sources and nothing. I even update my Maestro RR hoping that could have been it.

I’ll get a multimeter sometime this week and diagnose. I looked over the diagram @Tundra234 linked. I’m hoping it’s something simple.

13. Feb 26, 2022 at 8:13 AM
    JeffMac

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tundra OVTUNE
    Okay so I’m finally able to tinker with the voltage see if the camera is getting power. I’m having a brain fart. I want my multimeter at DC and it’s supposed to read 6 volts right?

14. Feb 26, 2022 at 9:15 AM
    Bakershack

Bakershack Critical of Noncritical Thinkers

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelly
    Spanish Fort, AL
    Vehicle:
    2020 SSM 1794 4x4
    DC, but not sure of the voltage. I don't remember seeing a regulator or DC transformer when I installed mine, so I assumed it was 12V.

JeffMac[OP] likes this.
  15. Feb 27, 2022 at 8:18 AM
    JeffMac

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tundra OVTUNE
    Okay so I fixed the problem. The camera wasn’t getting power. I tapped into my rear right reverse light and just powered it that way.

16. Feb 27, 2022 at 9:17 AM
    AKGirl

AKGirl New Member

Member:
    JeffMac, how did you tap into the reverse wire? I’m installing a wireless backup cam on an 07. I thought I found the reverse (red & blue) under the passenger rear bed. Tapped into it and ground (white and black) with T Tap, but no luck. Any suggestions?

17. Feb 27, 2022 at 9:42 AM
    JeffMac

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tundra OVTUNE
    My reverse wire was behind my radio already stock. Mine was purple. A few posts back is a link for all the vehicles wiring diagram that may help.

Products Discussed in

To Top