1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SOLVED - 2012 4Runner w/ Entune Unit - Backup Camera Mystery

Discussion in 'Other Toyota Vehicles' started by mr_souc, May 22, 2019.

1. May 22, 2019 at 7:05 AM
    mr_souc

mr_souc [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra TRD Off-Road CrewMax
    - 3/2" Leveling/Lift - TRD Dual Exhaust - TRD Pro Grill - 32 Inch Light Bar - N Fab Step Rails - Color Match Bumpers - 285/75-18 Terra Grappler G2s
    He all!

I posted this on 4Runners.com but surprisingly got ZERO replies. Thought I would toss it out over here for some help.

We just got a used 2012 4Runner SR5 with the optional entune head unit with navigation, however, there is no backup camera on the truck. If you look up under the lift latch area, it appears that there is old gasket/weather proofing material where a camera once was... (although, it could just be a plug to fill the hole?)

I researched the VIN and this radio unit was installed as an option by the factory per the original owner. The detailed report shows "EE Display Audio with Navigation and Entune - Includes 6.1-in. Touch-Screen w/ Integrated Backup Camera Display"...

When you put her in Reverse, nothing happens, the screen stays on whatever function it was on while it was in Park, or Drive...

I'm wondering if a camera was never installed even though the upgraded head unit was added and if so, is the truck wired for a camera? Can I simply buy an aftermarket or OEM camera, pop off the paneling in the back, clip/screw her in, add a new weather gasket, then plug & play - be back in business?

I plan to pop off the paneling to take a peek, but I thought I'd toss this out there to see what you all think before I rip into her.

Here are a few pics for a visual:

IMG_9259.jpg IMG_9257.jpg IMG_9260.jpg

Any thoughts?

2. May 28, 2019 at 10:54 AM
    mr_souc

mr_souc [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Maine
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra TRD Off-Road CrewMax
    - 3/2" Leveling/Lift - TRD Dual Exhaust - TRD Pro Grill - 32 Inch Light Bar - N Fab Step Rails - Color Match Bumpers - 285/75-18 Terra Grappler G2s
    ISSUED SOLVED!

I got to the bottom of things yesterday by pulling apart the rear hatch.

I found a glued in wooden "plug" closing off the hole where the backup camera USED to be. This "plug" also had some crude sharpie drawing marks on it that I'm guessing were supposed to be the screw holes? I also noticed a 6-pin plug for the camera wiring harness hanging there, so my assumption that I can simply get a replacement camera, and plug and play.

Anyway, misery solved. Why would anyone do this? I don't think this is OEM ;)

IMG_9408.jpg IMG_9409.jpg IMG_9410.jpg IMG_9412.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top