1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

SOLD: Tacoma Gunmetal Steering Wheel Trim $100 (fits 2018+ Tundra)

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundra Parts Marketplace (2014-2021)' started by RainMan_PNW, Jan 29, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jan 29, 2021 at 9:45 PM
    RainMan_PNW

RainMan_PNW [OP] SSEM #82 RGBA #4 “That Guy” Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Lunar Rock TRD Pro CM
    Check the build link in my signature.
    These are from a wrecked 2019 Tacoma that I bought through a wrecking yard. I don’t know the original miles on the wrecked truck, but I had the trim pieces (3 screws removes the trim from the button assembly) installed on my steering wheel for about 1600 miles.

They are not perfect, and they weren’t that way when I got them. I’ve done my best to capture the imperfections in the photos below - there are a few marks in various spots, but none are larger than the tip of a 0.3mm pencil except maybe the ones on the top edge of the right side control (the right side control has more marks as well overall, including a gouge in the one arrow button). I would have kept them myself, but I ended up getting a deal on having my original ones cerakoted while also getting a shift knob done. The gunmetal color is a good match for the darker grey dash trim that my TRD Pro has.

A person could also scuff sand these and repaint them any color they wanted while keeping their originals on the truck so they can keep driving while the paint cures.

Part number is 84250-04080-B1
    Brand new this set is MSRP $563 from Toyota ($406 at Sparks) and you can’t buy the trim without the buttons from Toyota.

I will happily separate the trim from the controls and send you just the trim (price is the same either way).

Asking $100 shipped in the CON-US, PayPal gift/friends (no fees to me), or Venmo both work. PM me for more details, if you want some more specific pictures, or want to buy them.

81283978-FD31-475F-B645-3DC46CE52E63.jpg 0DE76DA3-D0B1-4689-8CB5-AC9E2A86FE5C.jpg A17D33F5-ACD8-43E5-AB3E-69718C8BE542.jpg AF613237-02FA-4043-B9D5-10EF96FA2B6A.jpg A1FC5BCE-81F4-4355-AA47-324B6E146489.jpg 1EBB8F65-DC5C-4CEA-B39B-5173CDC2CD42.jpg B8D44802-92FE-4901-94DF-985447FA7C11.jpg C4EA115A-E5A8-4EFB-9573-4FB50BBCF221.jpg

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
    ElNopal and HulkSmurf14 like this.
  2. Feb 1, 2021 at 7:01 AM
    PonyMan

PonyMan Old Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Central, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra CrewMax 4WD Limited Nightshade Special Edition MGM
    So these interchange with fitment on the 2021 CrewMax?

3. Feb 1, 2021 at 8:00 AM
    RainMan_PNW

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    Not 100% certain on the controls themselves (I didn't install them), but for sure the trim will fit - I had it installed on my 2021 CrewMax. There are three screws on the back of each set of controls that hold the trim to them, and it is an easy swap.
    Picture of the trim half-installed in my truck - also shows the difference from the stock silver trim.
    [​IMG]

4. Feb 1, 2021 at 8:05 AM
    PonyMan

PonyMan Old Man

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Central, Louisiana
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra CrewMax 4WD Limited Nightshade Special Edition MGM
    Ok thanks. I’m really just needing the trim, not the switches etc with it.

5. Feb 1, 2021 at 8:14 AM
    RainMan_PNW

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    I’m happy to ship just the trim and properly dispose of the rest of it if someone wanted to only buy the trim.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2021
  6. Feb 5, 2021 at 9:23 AM
    Tundra9880

Tundra9880 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement CrewMax SR5
    Leveled, wheels and tires, Line X on the grille surround and bulge, Line X in the bed, Retrax rolling Tonneau cover, Flowmaster Outlaw cat back exhaust.
    Darn if only they were black. Agreed with you guys...amazed you can't buy just the trim! I painted mine and they turned out kinda crappy because they scrape easily (prob used the wrong type of paint) so I went looking for black replacements. I also can't get Toyota to tell me if the part number for this assembly is for both sides of the wheel. My local dealer shows a diagram of only one side. Regardless, don't want to buy the whole assembly when I only want to replace the crappy paint job I did on the trim.

7. Feb 5, 2021 at 11:10 AM
    RainMan_PNW

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    That part number is for the entire assembly (both sides, buttons, and wiring harness) just as pictured.
    I have found no way to get just the trim without buying the controls. I'm happy to only ship the trim, if that's all you want (it'll be cheaper for me to ship). :p
    If you look at how it is built, it makes sense. The buttons are screwed to the trim (it actually holds the buttons together) to make it a complete assembly. Separating it would be akin to selling the individual window switches from the driver's window switch module, or selling just the face plate on the AC control panel (which they actually used to do with the Gen 2 trucks).

For information, 84250-0C100-C0 is the part number for the Tundra BLACK trim/controls, and is MSRP $586 ($423 at Sparks).

8. Feb 5, 2021 at 11:20 AM
    Tundra9880

Tundra9880 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement CrewMax SR5
    Leveled, wheels and tires, Line X on the grille surround and bulge, Line X in the bed, Retrax rolling Tonneau cover, Flowmaster Outlaw cat back exhaust.
    Yes and thanks for the info! I had one dealer tell me they didn’t come in black for the Tundra, but his own website is clear as day! All of the diagrams show only the right side for that part number (at least that I could find) and I was quoted $800 about 6 months ago from a local dealer, hence my confusion on whether it was only one side or the whole thing. I appreciate the info very much!

I am going to try and re-paint mine again because I really want the flat black look. I just need to find a better paint.

thanks again!

9. Feb 5, 2021 at 11:48 AM
    RainMan_PNW

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    What paint are you using? I know lots of people here swear by SEM Trim Black. I've not used it myself, but my experience with painting high-wear spots has been that prep is key. Strip/degrease, light sand with 300 grip, clean, apply adhesion promoter, and then top-coat. Flat can be tough to get right because if the can isn't well mixed or you get some variation in paint/solvent coming out, it can mess up the sheen.

When all else fails, find someone to cerakote them, but make sure they do the cure at the lowest possible temperature. The tungsten that I had mine done in came out great...to the point I almost wish I'd done that with the center console part as well instead of getting the factory black one. But I don't want to pull that piece out again, and I already sold my original.

LOL - so much for actually pushing to sell these...but also want to help out with info where I can.

10. Feb 5, 2021 at 12:45 PM
    Tundra9880

Tundra9880 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement CrewMax SR5
    Ha! You might try and sell them on eBay if you haven't advertised there already. Those might go faster than those covers with the 3M tape! I used a regular Krylon I think for plastics. I did it about a year ago. I just lifted the airbag and left all the electronics in, which is why I wasn't certain about the two sides of the wheel being one "assembly". I saw some posted about the SEM paint also, I might have to pick some up.

I did the chrome ring around the console cup holders with same paint and no real prep other than cleaning with some rubbing alcohol, and it turned out awesome! So I went for it with the wheel trim. There ended up being a small spot where the paint bubbled (not a huge deal and not real visible, but I know it's there) but I find I brush the bottom of the steering wheel when I exit the truck with my thigh sometimes, and I noticed this past weekend while vacuuming the floorboard that the bottom edge of the trim has scuffed bad from my leg. So, with the scuffs and the mentioned paint bubble I thought I'd look into improving it/re-doing it.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  11. Feb 5, 2021 at 12:46 PM
    Tundra9880

Tundra9880 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Cement CrewMax SR5
    And THANK YOU RainMan for all of the info!!! I like the cerakote idea. I'm a gun guy and know cerakote well.

12. Feb 5, 2021 at 12:50 PM
    RainMan_PNW

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    I'm a seller on ebay as well - I just hate giving them 13% of the funds if I can find someone on a forum that wants them instead. Otherwise, I gotta charge for the shipping or I really get screwed in the process. Eventually they'll end up on ebay if no one here takes them. Not in a crazy hurry to move them either.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  13. Feb 8, 2021 at 9:22 AM
    RainMan_PNW

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey
    Clark County, WA
    Vehicle:
    Monday price update - I can separate trim from buttons and send you just the trim (price is the same).

Last edited: Feb 14, 2021
  14. Feb 14, 2021 at 8:14 AM
    Inquiringone

Inquiringone -Blue N Blac- an a little chrome

Member:
    First Name:
    Ter
    NorCal 408
    Vehicle:
    U can take the guy out of the garage, But U can’t take the garage out of the guy
    Not many yet, mostly stock.
    Single stage hot rod black ( 2K hot rod satin, 368 0212 ) works for this application. The paint has a catalyst that you puncture and mix in. Comes in a raddle can.
    It’s got that satin flat lookup it.
    I haven’t made it to my steering wheel yet but I used it on my front grill and it holding up good and appears scratch resistant. Most auto body supply’s can sell you some. That’s also can make any color as well to give a satin look.
    I’d recommend using 1500 wet dry sand paper with water, clean with alcohol/distilled water 70/30%
    Use disposable gloves to keep you hand oils off the part your painting.
    Good luck to all.

image.jpg
    image.jpg
    image.jpg
    D390D738-4135-421E-825E-F6F825DB58D6.jpg

Tundra9880 likes this.
  15. Feb 23, 2021 at 9:26 PM
    RainMan_PNW

Member:
    First Name:
    Casey