1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

So got to demo a 2020 Pro and 2021 Ram today - thoughts

Discussion in '2.5 Gen TRD Pro (2014-2021)' started by Shamrock92, May 6, 2021.

1. May 6, 2021 at 4:27 PM
    Shamrock92

Shamrock92 [OP] New Member

Member:
    So finally got to do a direct comparison of a Pro vs a Ram today - driving back to back.

I’ve driven plenty of SR5s with various packages and several Rams - but not immediately following each other.

First off - the Pro: a stock 2020 with no mods. Absolutely the best sounding stock truck on the market in my experience. Looks good in person and was plenty powerful. Acceleration was a bit “uneven” - I was spinning tires unintentionally pulling out - but getting from 25-60 felt a tad sluggish.

Interior wise - perfectly acceptable, nice room but I get the “aged” comments. It felt similar to a GM product inside. Not a bad thing - just smaller screens and more like a 2015 than a 2020. This was a used - but the leather on the driver seat was worn hard and starting to crack. Yes, this is fixable and can vary by user - but concerning in a 2020.

Oh, the radio - actually sounded “ok” to my untrained ear. Again - this was using the XM radio - but not horrible as some describe the JBL.
    ———————————————————

The Ram a 2011 Laramie with Hemi (no e-torque) - drove like an SUV - good and bad I guess…smooth ride (no air suspension) - but no “roar” like the Tundra either. Acceleration was smooth - was doing 60 when I though I would be going 40.

The vaunted Ram interior - simply put I don’t get it. Thing felt like a Tesla inside in a way - and that’s not a compliment. Big screen and a lot of cheap plastic. The stupid insulated door beverage holder was a piece of foam partially glued in - couldn’t decide if it was meant to be removed or not till dealer convinced me it was designed that way. Console was big and awkward - more than the Tundra. And the seats - I keep reading about how comfy Ram seats are. These were clearly the cheapest split leather material available - seen better on low end furniture. And comfort - nope. Sat high and couldn’t find a comfortable spot - the power was slow and not all that good. Sure they were ventilated - but what good is that if you can’t sit in it over an hour.

Space wise - about equal. Tundra might have had an once or 2 extra in the back - but either would seat an adult easily. Radio - again, not impressed. 19 speakers and sounded no better than the JBL. Backup camera was nice - but tech wise that and rain sensing wipers were the only “advantages” over a Tundra.

Price - ask on the Tundra w/9k miles - 58k - not great, but not horrible in today’s market either. Having seen individuals asking 58-60 for their 2019-20s. I’d say 58 is a fair staring point - with 55-56k being a good deal on a barely used Pro.

The Ram - sticker 61k - they would take 58k with no negotiation (500 incentive and 0/72). Of course not a great deal by typical standards - but supply shortages are something new to Ram buyers and most dealers don’t know how to react/price.

Personally - I’m passing on both. If your in the market for a Pro in NC I’m happy to pass along dealer info. I think pre pandemic the Pro would sell at 53-54 range and the Ram at 52-53. Fairly even price wise but give it 5 years. One will be a 28k truck and one a low 20s truck with similar miles/care.

2. May 6, 2021 at 5:24 PM
    Bradleybb

Bradleybb New Member

Member:
    Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2021 CM TRD OR
    Transmission cooler TRD REAR SWAY RCI front skid
    Same take on the dodge tried one over year ago, stuck with the tundra , like to here comparison
    2500 Cummins …I know it’s a different beast ,

Shamrock92[OP] likes this.
  3. May 6, 2021 at 5:33 PM
    rons23

rons23 Get The Led Out!!!

Member:
    First Name:
    Ron
    Kill Devil Hills
    Vehicle:
    2008 Nautical Blue TRD
    Sabm (Gtek-Fab), Blake Carbon Diamond Plate door sil protecters, and Air Dam mod, Black Rivited Grill, Devil Horns- Black Anodized(Diaz Fabrication), Hid's in Low Beams and Fogs -6000k, Piaa Extreme for High Beams. Black Rhino Step Tubes, Razir Led interior Lights (white), Low Profile Black Diamond Plate Tool Box, Trd accesories, Weather Tech Mats, Carbon Fiber Shorty Antenna, Drl's, Plasta Dipped Badges + Front Grill Surround
    I wouldn't buy a Fiat Ram, but that's me. I do agree with you on the back-up camera on the fiat. The shipyard has various trucks, we have a Big Horn down at our end, and I will say the back-up camera on that sucker is like 4k. It put's my HD aftermarket camera to shame.

Shamrock92[OP] likes this.
  4. May 7, 2021 at 4:42 AM
    Shamrock92

Member:
    Yes, Ram has its selling points - but the vaunted interior I keep reading about in every review ain’t here.

Possibly they are giving reviewers Limited’s - which I agree feel much nicer. Of course they should hanging a 70k price tag in the window.

If I was serious about a Ram - I honestly think I’d skip the half ton and gas. Going to a 2500/3500 diesel ain’t cheap - but long term it’s at least going to hold some value. Reliability is about on par with any diesel offering if not slightly better - and you lose lose some of the tech - but that’s not a bad thing.

Not saying there is no place for them n the market - just saying I would avoid the mid level half ton. Entry level they are nice compared to the competition at similar prices. But pay a tad more and the options really open up I think.

Curious as to how the TRX holds up value wise - right now people are paying stupid money for them. I mean if your going to make it a trailer queen and fawn over it as a collector - that’s one thing…..but as a “user” - I just don’t see it holding value long term. It will do worse than a Raptor I suspect.

And buying these things as a “collectible” - I just hope for those that do that Ram doesn’t turn around in a couple of years and create a slightly better model. The cork sniffers will dump the old and chase the new in a heartbeat. Honestly there are few if any modern vehicles I’d buy as a collector - all risk/little reward.

5. May 7, 2021 at 4:55 AM
    hagrid

hagrid The most diverse of Diversity Hires!

Member:
    First Name:
    Spraynard
    Pittsburgh
    Vehicle:
    K1600GTL ZX-14R
    paynuss stretchers
    Que?!

6. May 7, 2021 at 6:13 AM
    akmerle

akmerle New Member

Member:
    Wasilla, AK
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Platinum & 2020 Jeep SRT
    Just yesterday kicked down my 2020 Silverado LT to one of my employees as I got a 2021 Ram BigHorn ETorque as my new work truck.

Both are decently equipped with push button start, heated seats / steering wheel, power everything, etc.

The Ram drive LIGHTYEARS better. Suspension is a dream compared to the pogo stick feel of the Silverado. Ram rides smooth, yet planted. Steering has much better feel, yet is lighter.

Ram interior is much better. Stereo, controls, screen resolution, gauge cluster, and storage are all superior. Rear seat is a couple inches bigger, and has a flat rear floor (Chevy did not). Interior is much more quiet in the Ram, but can still hear and appreciate the V8 dual exhaust note. Not sure if Ram is pumping fake exhaust noise in ala Ford, but it sounds great.

I may be in the minority, but I don’t mind the rotary shifter, and prefer it to the obtrusive column shifter on the Chevy. It’s easy to use, not in the way at all, saves a bunch of space, etc.

Chevy 5.3 with the 10 speed does feel stronger than the hemi with the 8 speed. Hemi does not feel underpowered tho, and shifts are seamless. Hemi is averaging less than 15mpg compared to the almost 20mpg in the Silverado, but the truck only has 100 miles on it so maybe it will get better? Exhaust note on the Ram is good, the Silverado was bleh.

Etorque system does indeed make the auto start / stop engine transition smoother and quieter. Was annoying on the Silverado, but is almost liveable on the Ram.

7. May 8, 2021 at 3:39 AM
    tundra121

tundra121 New Member

Member:
    When I was in the Market for a new truck I tried Ford/gmc/Tundra 1794. I ended up with the tundra not because it was better in any of the test drives actually there wasn't much that the tundra impressed me over the others. Others had nicer ride better interior more standard options.
    I ended up choosing the Tundra because of its reputation on reliability nothing else the tundra's towing and payload wasn't overly impressive but it's lots for what I need.

Long term test it has lived up to its Reputation .....be 5 years next month and what I like is it still drives like the day I took it off the lot. Closing in on 110k It's simplicity of the Tunda has grown on me and actually like this truck more than when I bought it. Great truck from my point of view.

My 2014 Ram was failing in many departments after only 2 1/2 years
    The suspension was tiered and felt sloppy the leather seat was splitting at the seam and had rust starting in several places where to panels met and I am one of those guys I realy take pride in owner
    ship. I have been burned with the last three Ram's that it's not even on the radar as a future option for me.

8. May 8, 2021 at 7:09 AM
    Shamrock92

Member:
    Every brand has its hits and misses - and almost EVERY Ford/Ram and to an extent GM “fanboy” will point out their brand outsells Toyota 4–5-6 times so “you should expect to see 6x as many complaints.

Absolutely agree - 6x as many, but not 6x the problems on the 1 I own. If there equal - time is the measure. Own each for 5 years and you should in theory have an equal number of issues if they are equal.

Reviews have taught me many former owners who changed to Toyota had LESS complaints and issues.

Every truck has its pro/con list - like I said…normal times - a 39k Ram or Ford or Chevy for that matter simply beats the 39k new Tundra feature wise. But when you start moving to the 45k price point and get a decently optioned SR5 - it gets much tighter in my opinion. Buy the time you get to the 50s - it’s much closer in features the “Everyman” would want - and Toyota reliability tips the scales.

Used - there is more of a gap as the Toyota resale means your trading back years or miles typically.

I liked the Limited Ram (a lot) but no way I would pay 75k for one - I can move to a decently equipped 1 ton diesel at that price point - even those come with their own set of issues/maintenance cost.

Still waiting for a Ram dealer to blow me away with an offer I can’t refuse before the Tundra hits the lot. Like I said - a Limited at 55k would probably tip the scales. But no one seemingly wants to make me that offer - so the Tundra wins. Nice thing is when we return to “normal” - if I can score a deal on a Ram - the trade in on a Pro will probably not change much from the price new.

9. May 8, 2021 at 7:57 AM
    eick

eick New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 CrewMax TRD Off Road
    After owning Ford and Chevy already it would have to be cheaper than the tundra with more features for me to even consider it.

Had so much bad luck with those two that I’d rather buy a smaller travel trailer and make it work then ever consider going to a 3/4 ton with diesel. Unless Toyota starts making one.

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  10. May 16, 2021 at 7:59 AM
    Shamrock92

Member:
    Ok - hated to start a new thread for this question alone.

What is a GREAT deal on a 2019/2020 Pro in your eyes?

I have my number - but just want to see if I’m being unreasonable or not. My feeling is simply ANY 2019/2020 under 25k miles and no mods/accidents is gonna command damn near MSRP on new in this market (54k) - that said - a good deal on a 2020 is anything at or below 50k (8% off) - 2019 might go as low as 48k - anything below that is just stealing a vehicle.

Got a couple of leads over the weekend on used…appears much like the “gas shortage” once the music stopped and the pipeline reopened suddenly everyone who had stupid ask pricing is now scared of being stuck with inventory.

Everyone knows something comes out on the 2022’s in the next 60-90 days (unlikely a full unveiling - just a few more rumors/ sightings strategically released by corporate). My options are simple - take delivery of the 2021 on order when it arrives early June or find a used deal before then. I’m happy to do the new - but if the right deal can be struck I’m not afraid to snatch it - if I can get something under 50 - I think I id be foolish to pass.

woofhauler likes this.
  11. May 17, 2021 at 4:03 PM
    woofhauler

woofhauler New Member

Member:
    Pacifica, CA

Carvana quoted me $50,155K for my 2019 Pro with 22,500K miles and I truthfully put in I have minor scuffs, meaning I didn't tag it as perfect.

12. May 18, 2021 at 4:25 AM
    Shamrock92

Member:
    Thanks - guess we see.

I don’t expect to find a great deal - but if one pops up - I’m ready to move on it.

People often forget - dealers #1 priority is sell for as much as possible as quickly as possible. A fast deal beats a few hundred more to a dealer if it means waiting a week.

13. May 18, 2021 at 4:54 AM
    glowblue

glowblue From time to time

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 —> 2021 F-250 XLT
    It’s entirely upside down now. I bought my 2021 SR5 a month ago for $2k less than MSRP; two dealers had the same truck for about the same price at the time. The same truck today at the other dealer is $8k MORE than a month ago. The market is crazy.

Products Discussed in

To Top