1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Silly Rabbits.....

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by ColoradoTJ, May 6, 2016.

1. May 6, 2016 at 4:16 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ [OP] Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    .......Diesels are for work.

So I get a text last night and my friends 2015 F350 diesel is getting a new valves on his motor with 15k miles. The issue started at 4K miles. Lucky for him, he is still under warranty. Could you imagine what 14 hours of labor plus a valve job would cost when out of warranty? This was caused all by daily driving it with no load.

Ironically, another buddy called yesterday about his 2011 Duramax that has a "clean DPF" warning going off on his dash. The truck has been going through regen after regen and can get about 500 miles before an oil change is due. It costs $3k to take care of that issue.

All this due to daily driving diesels. I told both of them not to, at least one listened and purchased a 2015 F150 EB for his DD.

Careful what you wish for when wanting an emission compliant diesel in a tundra.

cheehab and T-Rex266 like this.
  2. May 6, 2016 at 4:56 AM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    Lots of money. Every time somebody tells me they have a diesel I ask them if it breaks a lot, in a joking way. I'm surprised at how many people have problems with them. Then I ask why they have a diesel, some legitimately need a hauler, seems like most don't though.

3. May 6, 2016 at 7:16 AM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    Neighbor of mine had a Dodge diesel i would guess around a 2008. He said he traded it in because it was making noises and was worried that it was going down a path where he would have to fix something. What does he replace it with, a newer Dodge diesel. It is his daily driver except hunting season and occasional ATV fun. He only pulls quads.

4. May 6, 2016 at 7:31 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    I'll keep my gasoline. I don't need that much torque to tow someone's house up a hill if need be lol.

5. May 6, 2016 at 8:17 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    I may need more load rating, but I can get a gas power plant to handle that.

The freightliners are looking better every day.....about an 07 or older.

6. May 6, 2016 at 9:53 AM
    LOTSOFTOYS

LOTSOFTOYS Toyota Whisperer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    In all fairness, we see problems with Toyotas all the time with little miles on them. If toyota had a diesel I'm the tundra, I would probably sell both my taco and tundra to buy it. If you've ever towed with a diesel vs a gas, there is a crazy difference

zcarpenter92 likes this.
  7. May 6, 2016 at 11:43 AM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Oh I have, and sitting on the side of the road or at home with an empty wallet sucks.

8. May 6, 2016 at 1:25 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

LOTSOFTOYS Toyota Whisperer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    Ha.... guess I've had better luck

ColoradoTJ[OP] likes this.
  9. May 6, 2016 at 1:42 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Well, I had cummins motors, and towed hard. I have not asked my tundra to do any less without one glitch.

LOTSOFTOYS likes this.
  10. May 6, 2016 at 6:52 PM
    zcarpenter92

zcarpenter92 Yotas and Yellow Jackets

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    NE Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2008 Desert Sand 5.7L DC
    In sig
    Down the road I'd like to have a diesel in addition to my Tundra, just something that only pulls heavy (like a camper or some such). But it sure as hell won't be a DD.

11. May 6, 2016 at 6:56 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    For sure. Like @LOTSOFTOYS said, there is nothing like towing with a diesel. But as you stated, not for daily use and work only.

zcarpenter92[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. May 6, 2016 at 7:00 PM
    zcarpenter92

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    NE Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2008 Desert Sand 5.7L DC
    In sig
    Agreed. The Duramax I drove at my last job was an awesome truck, but we hauled 10,000+ lbs all day everyday. Hell, we were filling up at least once a day with the diesels, I can't imagine how much we'd of been filling up if we had a fleet full of gassers.

13. May 6, 2016 at 7:42 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    Alot of diesels problem is the dam emissions they have on them. 99% of it is useless.

Ask your this.. Who is the world's largest diesel engine manufacturer and supplier? Caterpillar now ask your self this in the class 8 trucks you see on the highway why would someone get out of the business of making the best engine for the truck driver. Simple emissions and lawsuits.

Soon Ford, and Cummins will be in the some boat as cat was 10 years ago. Only thing cummins has i upper hand they are in class 8 trucks ( shitty engines but cheap to fix only thing about them.) As emissions get tougher, more junk gets added to the damn engine, to keep it legal, inturn to break down even more... You see a pattern here?

Unless we change the EPA ways in diesel is done today(emissions) I really don't see much hope left for the diesel engine in the consumer market.

With VW getting caught with there hands in the cookie jar and there pants down, it only makes it harder imported manufacturers, harder to get into the USA market with diesel.

For the duramax diesel thank Isuzu not GM for that engine.

14. May 6, 2016 at 7:47 PM
    zcarpenter92

Member:
    First Name:
    Zach
    NE Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2008 Desert Sand 5.7L DC
    In sig
    If I get one someday I'd want to delete it and get rid of it all, provided that's not illegal by the time I buy one.

15. May 6, 2016 at 8:05 PM
    Mike

Mike Tread lightly.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    south carolina
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra sr5 4x4 stepside....
    yep bank account is running low from it..
    Problem is the ecms and everything are tied together anymore. There is no work arounds. Firmware that's in the ecms are program to look for emissions junk.

A simple reflash wouldn't work do to all extra pins and cross talk of data from module to ecm for example. It's done that way so you can't reflash with reverse engineering the whole damn thing and I mean everything.

Gas and diesel engines they have there pros and cons. ..... Use a diesel engine running natural gas.. I rest my case and emissions solved. It's been done for years and years nothing new.

16. May 6, 2016 at 8:34 PM
    ColoradoTJ

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    It has been illegal for years to remove emissions off your vehicle. Now diesel shops are getting fined $50k for each emissions violation. The EPA is not f'n around.

17. May 7, 2016 at 5:02 AM
    CMB

CMB New Member

Member:
    Cecil County MD.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra DC 4X4 SR5
    Not nearly enough room here!
    The EPA,now there's a :censored: goverment agency that needs MORE POWER!!:rant:

Products Discussed in

To Top