1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should NCAA Athletes be paid/are they already paid?

Discussion in 'Sports, Hobbies & Interests' started by jdg1982, Feb 25, 2018.

?

Should NCAA Athletes be paid/are they already paid?

1. They are paid with their scholarship

17 vote(s)
    56.7%
  2. They should be paid and also receive a scholarship

10 vote(s)
    33.3%
  3. Should be paid but not receive a scholarship.

3 vote(s)
    10.0%
  1. Feb 25, 2018 at 1:45 PM
    jdg1982

jdg1982 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    New Roads, LA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Magnetic Gray Tundra SR5 4x4
    A facebook friend posted that the NCAA should go away and college athletes should be paid.

I’m curious to what people think on this subject.

2. Feb 25, 2018 at 1:48 PM
    [DELETED]

[DELETED] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    PNW
    As an ex-NCAA athlete, I can tell you... they're getting paid.

3. Feb 25, 2018 at 1:55 PM
    jdg1982

jdg1982 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    New Roads, LA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Magnetic Gray Tundra SR5 4x4
    I know they are. Right after college I worked at a bank off campus in Baton Rouge. A high profile bball player used to come in and cash Nike checks. He also lived in expensive apartments and drove a brand new escalade with 26” wheels

4. Feb 25, 2018 at 2:22 PM
    ReCKzX

ReCKzX New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra TRD Pro Ice Cap
    Just take away the scholarships and create a salary cap. Out of the money they are paid, they can pay tuition.

5. Feb 25, 2018 at 2:43 PM
    DalTee

DalTee New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dal
    Vehicle:
    2011 SuperWhite CrewMax Limited
    Extang Folding Tonneau, 20 percent tint, TRD dual exhaust, BedMat, Stubby antennae, Bully Hitch Step, AVS Window Shades
    They should have on demand healthy food
    When they travel, be fed more than fast food and cheap restaurants
    And
    Be afforded adequate rest when traveling during the playoffs/ NCAA tournaments

If their name and or likeness is being used in video game, Jersey, poster or anything for sale, a portion of the proceeds from that should go to them for use after they leave the university

I’d like to see if payment commenced if they didnt play the National championships or March Madness.

I think Geno Auriemma had it right when he had his girls throw (allegedly) the NCAAs last year due to improper rest and ESPN running the games for the west coast

6. Feb 25, 2018 at 2:54 PM
    Black Wolf

Black Wolf Bigfoot Hunter, Sasquatch too, but not Yeti

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Aurora CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 Nissan Frontier SV 4X4
    TuwaPro rack, Z1 Offroad stuff, NISMO suspension stuff, FlowmasterFX Extreme exhaust, AIS, OVS, J&L can, other goodies on the way
    A lot of kids would give their left arm for a scholarship to a top notch school. Just sayin.

ReCKzX, ColoradoTJ and boardude like this.
  7. Feb 25, 2018 at 3:31 PM
    boardude

boardude I am Batman

Member:
    First Name:
    Kris
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    [YODAGAN]
    2015 Inferno Ex-Pro
    Miller just got busted on a wire tap confirming Deandre Ayton's 100k pay (sad day for Arizona :(). At this point I don't think it's a matter of who does it but who gets caught.

I think players should at least get some of the profits from sales (merchandise, tix, etc) especially if they are the star and people are coming to see them play and buying their jerseys. But salaries and pay-for-play is a slippery slope. If this was legal then it's about who has the most money and what they and their boosters can offer. If they can find a way where the player drives the amount and is regulated and standardized across all schools by division than this might work. Would be a good start to solve the one and done issue as well since that clearly isn't working. Plus it keeps kids in school longer, even if it's only for another year.

GAknight, Brian0414, mdavis and 4 others like this.
  8. Feb 25, 2018 at 3:56 PM
    Vizsla

Vizsla ☠️☠️☠️

Member:
    Sad, but not surprised. I’m from PA, and went to Blackhawk High School...

boardude[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Feb 25, 2018 at 4:57 PM
    FiveOhh

FiveOhh New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Charlotte, NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 Black Tundra
    As someone who played D1 as a walk on and just finished paying off a student loan i firmly believe they are being paid.

Black Wolf likes this.
  10. Feb 25, 2018 at 5:13 PM
    Deucemimo

Deucemimo New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 1794
    They should be paid and receive a scholarship. The universities are making millions off these athletes. Coaches are paid their worth and so should an athlete. If the BBall players boycott the upcoming NCAA tourney I bet that will get some attention and some results. The star/superstar/big name players don't need to play in the tourney, they're going to the NBA regardless. The NBA will have zero problem drafting star players that skip the NCAA tourney. Similar to the NFL has zero problems drafting guys who skip bowl games. Players have power, its time to use it.

An athlete should be able to market their own likeness also.

Brian0414 and DalTee like this.
  11. Feb 25, 2018 at 5:17 PM
    CaptTyler

CaptTyler Life’s too short to have an ugly boat.

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Ram 2500 Cummins
    Absolutely insane to think they should get paid.
    It’ll ruin college sports. You start getting money involved & its all down hill. Most of these kids are on huge full ride scholarships and living the dream. Those scholarships are worth an insane amount of money.
    The big star players are practically Gods on campus.
    They need to earn their right to get paid the big money. It gives them even more drive to make it to the professional level.

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
  12. Feb 25, 2018 at 5:27 PM
    ToyotaTundraMike

ToyotaTundraMike Not A New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Exactly how much time for a part time job do you think a college athlete has after daily workouts/practice/school work/homework?

Yes they should be paid, and yes many of them (or their parents) already are being reimbursed in some form. College recruiting is a whole new animal today than many years ago. How do you think Bama can convince 5 star athletes to come and sit on the bench (it goes on to an extent at every major university, not just Bama).

The NCAA makes billions off these kids (and many come from less than fortunate backgrounds). A special credit card for food, dorm supplies etc would not be a bad thing.

They should at the very least be able to sign autographs etc and make money off of their own names....the control freak NCAA won’t even let them do that...

Last edited: Feb 25, 2018
    DalTee likes this.
  13. Feb 25, 2018 at 5:59 PM
    CaptTyler

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Ram 2500 Cummins
    This sure is a tough topic and I get both sides.
    In a way, these kids are employed by the NCAA. If they don’t like the rules, they can leave and go find another career. I don’t feel bad for any of these guys one bit. They’re riding full scholarships and living the dream. And a lot of the guys that don’t make the pros get great educations and find good jobs. If they don’t, then it’s their fault. They’re given every opportunity to succeed.
    That’s not enough for these kids? They haven’t even proven themselves yet.

mdavis, Trooper2 and Taco-Blender like this.
  14. Feb 25, 2018 at 6:55 PM
    DalTee

DalTee New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dal
    Vehicle:
    Extang Folding Tonneau, 20 percent tint, TRD dual exhaust, BedMat, Stubby antennae, Bully Hitch Step, AVS Window Shades
    Money is already involved - just not funneled down. The powers that be don’t WANT to funnel it down as it’ll affect their own pockets

15. Feb 25, 2018 at 7:03 PM
    DalTee

DalTee New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dal
    Vehicle:
    We only see the sports that are in the headlights... what about tennis, lacrosse, golf, crew...

I was a recruiter at a big JUCO and had a room on campus. I’d see these kids come in at all hours of the night from games and not having access to the cafe - then - because they are exhausted sleep late - miss breakfast and have to go straight to class.

Yeah, they heat an education- but what happens when an cal or Achilles is damaged and they loose the scholarship? What happens then.

Check the NFL, NBA, NHL, PGA, Pro baseball - how many kids actually make it? Very very few and they kill themselves for everyone else to collect.

johnlee319 likes this.
  16. Feb 25, 2018 at 7:28 PM
    CaptTyler

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Ram 2500 Cummins
    Exactly. Very few kids make it. Maybe get an education while they’re at it? Always have a fall back. You see athletes come away with some very impressive degrees so don’t tell me they don’t have time. Again, I don’t feel bad for these kids one bit. They’re given way too many opportunities. Sometimes it doesn’t work out.
    That’s life.

FiveOhh, mdavis and Trooper2 like this.
  17. Feb 25, 2018 at 7:40 PM
    DalTee

DalTee New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dal
    Vehicle:
    They earn those opportunities- for the befit of fans investors broadcasters and schools.
    If the money made by the ncaa and the schools went to lowering tuition, I’d say ok don’t pay them, but it doesn’t - it goes to someone’s pocket...

If someone uses my likeness to get a check - I want in on it.

ToyotaTundraMike likes this.
  18. Feb 25, 2018 at 7:56 PM
    CaptTyler

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Ram 2500 Cummins
    I disagree but I’ve said what I needed to say.
    Won’t change anyone’s mind. And they’ll probably never get paid.

19. Feb 26, 2018 at 12:10 AM
    DalTee

DalTee New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dal
    Vehicle:
    Agreed on one point - they probably won’t get paid

20. Feb 26, 2018 at 5:16 AM
    ToyotaTundraMike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    You said it, employed by the NCAA. What kind of employee doesn’t get paid! Sure they get a scholarship but that’s to go to school not pay for living expenses such as gas/food/etc.

Look at baseball for example. They have a minor league. A way for players to get paid without going to college. If football was like that it would be different but football players sacrifice way more (their body) than anyone but don’t get anything in return unless they get drafted.

Imagine working full time for a company and having to do school work on top of that and your only form of payment was them allowing you to do the school work for free without paying them...would seem like a fucked up deal huh?

21. Feb 26, 2018 at 6:13 AM
    Randy Morton

Randy Morton Life takes its toll, please have exact change.

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    Deepinahearta, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2012 Tundra Double Cab, Beta Variant (I call it my Land Yacht)
    They are paid. Usually it's a do nothing job, or money under the table and a new car just for signing.

22. Feb 26, 2018 at 6:21 AM
    ToyotaTundraMike

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra
    Often the case with top recruits, but not all of them. There are also rumblings about certain schools making it make more $en$e to stay for the their Senior year instead of leaving early for the draft. So yeah a lot of them get paid in some form (or their family does) but the recruiting process is a whole different animal and a different discussion than if they should get paid by the NCAA (instead of bagmen for a certain program).

23. Feb 26, 2018 at 6:52 AM
    TTU19

TTU19 Wreck 'Em

Member:
    First Name:
    Wes
    Tx
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Sport
    I can see both sides. Sure they receive a full ride scholarship, which is a lot, but not all of them do. I see the other side too where they are held to a lot of restrictions, not able to really keep a regular job if they wanted.

I say they need to create a pay structure that is across the board for all schools. Fresh get this amount, Soph gets a little more, and so on. That would also help promote kids to stay in school. The amounts dont have to be much, keep it minimal.

At the end of the day, honestly all I care about is getting my NCAA football game back, WTH! Ha. And the whole "likeness" thing, unless you are on the cover, give me a break. Because it might have your jersey number and same skin color? EA didn't even include names and a lot of times other things didn't match up either so I'm not sure how players have any say. Any editing of rosters to match the real ones were done by someone not working for EA, so they shouldn't be held accountable for it. BRING BACK NCAA FOOTBALL!

DalTee and ToyotaTundraMike like this.
  24. Feb 26, 2018 at 9:04 AM
    easleycrawler

easleycrawler TOYOTA ADDICT- SSEM #78

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Easley, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra SR5 DC Black 5.7
    God I hope they don't publicly start paying the athletes. College football will end up just like the NFL, a bunch of ungrateful bitches and not worth a fuck.

CaptTyler, Brian0414 and [DELETED] like this.
  25. Feb 26, 2018 at 9:10 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    College athletes play with more heart, IMO. They don’t want to do anything they’ll risk their (future) career. It’s more competitive than pro, IMO. In college, they still have their future goal in mind.

26. Feb 26, 2018 at 9:23 AM
    johnlee319

johnlee319 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tundra SR5 CrewMax
    Leveling kit, Limited wheels, tint, husky liners, center console tray
    I remember when Bama had a guy by the name of Tyrone Prothro. He was a lights out receiver. Pure raw talent. All was fine & well, until he hurt himself. Career ending injury. His scholarship was pulled & last I heard he was a bank teller at a bank in Tuscaloosa. These kids, at the very least, need a "profit for product" type of guarantee, where in a player who is as productive as he was, gets a guaranteed scholarship, no matter the events which take place. If they want to be paid, pay them in education. THAT will pay them for the rest of their life, considering they use it properly.

DalTee[QUOTED] likes this.
  27. Feb 26, 2018 at 12:24 PM
    DalTee

DalTee New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dal
    Vehicle:
    There are plenty of stories like this. The kids are only good if they can provide a means for the bottom line. Get hurt badly enough and they are done

johnlee319[QUOTED] likes this.
  28. Feb 26, 2018 at 1:16 PM
    easleycrawler

easleycrawler TOYOTA ADDICT- SSEM #78

Member:
    First Name:
    Travis
    Easley, South Carolina
    Vehicle:
    17 Tundra SR5 DC Black 5.7
    Nobody is guaranteed nothing in this world, why the hell should a athlete be any different. Shit happens to people everyday.

29. Feb 26, 2018 at 4:27 PM
    johnlee319

johnlee319 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    '17 Tundra SR5 CrewMax
    Leveling kit, Limited wheels, tint, husky liners, center console tray
    If I do a good job, I get to keep my job. If I get hurt, I have workmans comp & short term disability.

DalTee likes this.
  30. Feb 26, 2018 at 4:41 PM
    GAknight

GAknight New Member

Member:
    Shade of a Pine, GA
    Vehicle:
    '14 TSS 4x4
    Too many…scratch that…not done yet.
    Just my 2c.
    Don't flat pay them...Way to much red tape to get into on who gets more/less. i.e., do you pay a hot shot swimmer or tennis player the same as a your hot shot QB/running back?

Check the price of an education now/days, including room/board, food, etc. If you're good enough to earn a scholarship, that's a pretty damn good payment, especially if you're looking at something for the masses. Everybody needs the education to fall back on. The likelihood of going to the next level and making enough money to be set for life is less than 1%.

That said, if you're a hot shot athlete (regardless of the sport) and the school makes more off of selling player specific items...jerseys, bobble heads, memorabilia with your pic/signature, (or any other creative marketing)....they should absolutely get a share of the proceeds.

DalTee and BuckWallace like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top