1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I go into law enforcement?

Discussion in 'Public Safety Officers' started by kparrow, Apr 21, 2019.

?

Should I become and officer/deputy

1. Yes

37.4%
  2. No

62.6%
  1. Apr 21, 2019 at 10:11 AM
    kparrow

kparrow [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Nampa, ID
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra DC 4x4 5.7l V8 Blue Streak Metallic
    Goodyear UltraTerrain AT 275/70/r18, Stoptech Cryo Slotted Rotors/Hawk LTS Pads, DECKED, and lots more!
    All law enforcement officers, I’m getting my butt in shape and considering pursuing a career in law enforcement. What are your thoughts? I currently work in IT and that’s what I went to school for. I already hate sitting behind a desk in an office with no windows all day long. My wife is an RN. I want to do something that makes a difference. My grandpa was a sheriff’s deputy for many years and loved it. My dad was as well until he got hurt. It was early in his career and they gave him two options, desk duty or medically resign. He resigned and now works in IT. Do you still like your careers or hate them? Do you dread going to work or do you enjoy it? Any and all advise is welcome. I thought about trying to start here in Great Falls and then lateral to Boise when we move there. How many years do you need under your belt to be taken seriously as a lateral officer? We don’t want to be here for many more years so I don’t know if I should wait till we move to try and get hired on.

2. Apr 21, 2019 at 10:18 AM
    sdde4n

sdde4n New Member

Member:
    People's Republic of California
    Vehicle:
    2018 CrewMax - Sierra Romeo Cinco
    Leitner Designs ACS
    There are lots of LEOs on here and I genuinely hope one of them gets back to you before the smart-asses descend on your thread. Best of luck with your decision. Unfortunately, I have nothing to add (of value).

3. Apr 21, 2019 at 10:19 AM
    teedubbya

teedubbya I like fat booty

Member:
    Austin TX
    Vehicle:
    2019 trd pro voodoo 4runner
    Ha ha ha

Fuck no.

Do what cops wish they could do - fight fires.

4. Apr 21, 2019 at 10:20 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Have you gone on a ride a long? Have you considered volunteering first? Some get into it and resign almost immediately following the academy. Some can’t, or just don’t understand certain things. It’s not for everyone. There’s a lot of politics involved and it sucks when you want to do something you can’t, because someone who has never walked in LE shoes tells them

5. Apr 21, 2019 at 10:20 AM
    Sas

Sas Humor is everywhere

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    OKC, OK
    Vehicle:
    '17 SR5 CM TSS 4WD MGM 5.7 FF
    Lost track after #1.
    I'm in IT and have been for a couple of decades now. If you're just starting out, it sucks. I now work from home and telecommute in every day. It's like anything. In the beginning it's going to suck, but if you keep at it things will get better.

6. Apr 21, 2019 at 10:47 AM
    SoCalTundy

SoCalTundy Member since 2017

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Icon Shocks. Total Chaos UCA. Deaver u748 TC shackles Flowmaster super 50. Diode Dynamics fogs. 5.29 Revolution Gears. SSW 17" wheels on BFG 35x12.5
    I agree with sas ☝️ I’m also in IT. I graduated college shortly after 9/11 when the tech market crashed. I was going to get into law enforcement since IT jobs were hard to come by. I eventually found one and the pay sucked, but I stuck through it. Fast forward to now and I’m glad I stayed with IT. Not knocking law enforcement. I respect it and would have done it myself if my IT career hadn’t taken off. All this to say...do what you think will make you and your family happy. If it’s about money, you’ll probably be the same. Cops here in California are exceeding 100k with overtime. Specialized IT people are also.

7. Apr 21, 2019 at 10:51 AM
    Haslefre

Haslefre New Member

Member:
    TN
    Not LEO, but I am military and my father was a sheriff and patrolman for years. He retired at 15 years in because it became too political for him. One wrong move, one bad captain or superior and your whole career can be flushed. These days you also have to watch every single thing you do as you could be filmed while doing it.

On the other hand, it can be a very fruitful career for some, especially depending on location.

8. Apr 21, 2019 at 10:55 AM
    Wutachampion

Wutachampion New Member

Member:
    DFW
    Vehicle:
    used to own - 2016 MGM SR5 CM Texas Edition
    What he said is the experience my family has had and also friends. I wouldn’t consider going into law enforcement if I were you. I’ve also had friends who said firefighters have pretty similar negative experiences in some departments they’ve worked.
    Would’ve loved to have been a firefighter as I do want to also be out in the field helping and it behind a desk like I am now.

9. Apr 21, 2019 at 10:55 AM
    TRDFerguson

TRDFerguson SSEM #99/RGBA #8-ish?/It’s a funny name.

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Southeast Greater Basin, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM CrüeMax
    I'll echo what Sas and Jrod said - stick it out in IT. I've got a little over a decade under my belt. I started off in help desk and technician roles in the education system, moved to network and server administration, then caught a huge break with an IT security role. If you can find a decent security job, there are so many directions you can go that you'll eventually find the right fit for your aspirations.

Sas and kparrow[OP] like this.
  10. Apr 21, 2019 at 11:03 AM
    marlin39a

marlin39a I’m a dumbass.

Member:
    Not these days, everybody hates your guts, and there's good reason. A lot has to do with the training they provide. I got on the job in the mid 70's. It was fun back then. Confiscate beer from the kids, and chase women. Do what was needed, and go home. A sense of humor was needed, and compassion for your fellow man. Today's cops are mean-ass dickheads with pure hatred for the public. I do believe that most are just itching to shoot someone. I'd say to become a Mail Carrier.

Tundyfundy, jtaco11 and Waterboy45661 like this.
  11. Apr 21, 2019 at 11:07 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Sounds like you’ve had some bad experiences

12. Apr 21, 2019 at 11:15 AM
    Flyinryank

Flyinryank New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 CM 4x4
    AFE Dry S Drop-In Filter TRD Air Accelerator TRD Radiator Cap TRD Fuel Cap TRD Pro Grill/Hood Body Mount Chop Bilstein 6112s CB Shim on Driver Side Bilstein 5160s ICON Rear Spring Pack Factory Painted Door Handles BFG KO2s 305/65R18 Method NV 18x9 +25 NFAB RKR Rails SDHQ ABS Guards SDHQ Ditch Light Brackets Baja Designs Squadron Pros
    Maybe

I’d stick it out in your field til your move. Then do a few ride alongs in the bigger city on swing shift. Ask the officers you meet real questions about the job.

Tell your wife about what you see and make sure she is cool with it and the academy before you make the choice.

Kerch71, Ostrich and kparrow[OP] like this.
  13. Apr 21, 2019 at 11:17 AM
    Silv333

Silv333 Patriot

Member:
    NJ-NC-MD-NC
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cement Crewmax TRD Off Road
    I’m a LEO. Use your IT experience and consider looking into federal law enforcement. FBI/ATF/HSI all have avenues regarding internet investigations of some sort, pay is decent, still making a difference, and don’t have to shag 911 calls. Plain clothes/business casual usually, and a take home car to boot!

14. Apr 21, 2019 at 11:22 AM
    proROB

proROB New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Temecula, Ca.
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TRD PRO
    Being a cop is tough these days. I know a lot of cops who work for various police departments, essentially the new motto is “damned if you do, dead if you don’t”. Every action is watched, discriminated, and poked at from everyone from attorneys trying to find a a fault, to your sups trying to find a way to save their ass from public assassinations, usually by firing you. All these decisions about your fate are usually after your faced with a life and death decision. I have the utmost respect for all law enforcement, but sadly no cops I know suggests it as a career these days...

15. Apr 21, 2019 at 11:23 AM
    Bheid

Bheid It's not a toy, it's a Toyota.

Member:
    First Name:
    Doug
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Tundra SR5
    Fab Fours Black Steel Elite front bumper Rhino Lined Bed Century Truck Cap Bridgestone KO2 tires K Source tow mirrors Blackvue Dashcam
    No. Former dispatcher here and the politics are horrible. If you don't fit in with the department mentality you're out. I found out the hard way.

I came from the manufacturing industry, jumped in with no experience and by the feedback from the chief and assistant chief I was doing exceedingly well and was going to be released from training 3 months early.

Up until another dispatcher decided I was a threat to her. Made my life hell, until I filed a grievance. I was fired 2 days later.

This dispatcher has a long storied career of forcing out those who threaten her position and has made herself the darling of all the Leo's so they have her back.

During my exit interview the assistant chief said something without prompting that made me realize why I was out. He said, "this isn't a case of good ole' boys," which tells me it was.

I was fired not because I was bad dispatcher I was fired because I went against the grain and filed a grievance against a fellow dispatcher and as we all know, you're either on one side of the line or the other, when really I was on the side of making sure my Leo's and the public were getting the best of their dispatchers not some pretty b/s that interfered with the job because of perceived but non-existent threat.

AircareTundra and Tundyfundy like this.
  16. Apr 21, 2019 at 11:24 AM
    Silv333

Silv333 Patriot

Member:
    NJ-NC-MD-NC
    Vehicle:
    This is very accurate when it comes to local police work, I wouldn’t be a straight up local police officer, no way! I love all of them, but what this guy said above is spot on.

Look into the fire service as well....

17. Apr 21, 2019 at 11:41 AM
    joeyman15

joeyman15 New Member

Member:
    I worked for a sheriffs office in IT for about 10 years. The politics are there and if you stay out of them it's hard to get promoted(as a deputy). As a deputy you will never come close to earning what you will as a decent IT guy. When I left the sheriffs office I doubled my salary and after about 6 years I'm over 3 times what I made there.

kparrow[OP], OR18TRD and 15Yota like this.
  18. Apr 21, 2019 at 11:47 AM
    kingpin3919

kingpin3919 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Vehicle:
    2017 cement tundra TRD PRO
    It can be a difficult job in todays's climate. I have 12 years on in my department. Also, every single thing you do is being recorded somewhere. It can also be a lot of fun and rewarding as well. I'd say it is still a good career if your heart is in it. Don't listen to the fool who generalizes how "most cops have a hatred towards the public and are looking to shoot people". That is just a ridiculously false statement and a terrible generalization. Most cops took the job to help people and do the best that they can with what they have to work with. I'd also suggest watching Live PD on A+E also to get some good glimpses of the job in real time. It's not a career for everyone but don't rule it out if you are passionate about it. Just my 2 sense.

19. Apr 21, 2019 at 12:01 PM
    Jra8

Jra8 New Member

Member:
    Tampa Fl
    Vehicle:
    2018 Inferno
    I'm a firefighter and know a lot of officers. You hear a lot of them say they should have gone the fire route. You never hear firefighters say they should have gone into law.

Sp33dNut, Tundyfundy and Outbound like this.
  20. Apr 21, 2019 at 12:02 PM
    teedubbya

Member:
    Austin TX
    Vehicle:
    Stretcher fetcher
    Hose monkey
    Something like that

Sp33dNut likes this.
  21. Apr 21, 2019 at 12:05 PM
    Outbound

Outbound SSEM #2.5, Token AmeriCanadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Aaron
    Northern Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2022 CrewMax TRD Off Road, MGM of course.
    Dad was a firefighter. Uncle is a cop (RCMP). Dad never said he wished he was a cop. Uncle always says he should have been a firefighter.

I'm pursuing the firefighter career myself.

22. Apr 21, 2019 at 12:08 PM
    Racingjohndeere55

Racingjohndeere55 New Member

Member:
    I don't know if I could deal with all the problems police have to deal with today. You endlessly patrol the same streets day in and day out. Deal with not nice people. Have to wear body armor because someone is going to be hell bent on putting a slug in you... I couldn't do it. Nothing against our LEO's! I appreciate what you do. I did 25 years of volunteer firefighting and rescue.
    Good luck. If you really want to pursue being a police officer it would help you to have military background.

23. Apr 21, 2019 at 12:08 PM
    Max Power

Max Power Groovy Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 TRD Off Road
    TRD Dual Exhaust TRD Rear Sway Bar
    If you have a real burning desire to get into law enforcement, then give it a go. Just don't burn any IT bridges on your way out. After a few years (but probably less) the cool factor of the gun and badge will wear off and you're going to be in a job you either like or don't. There are of course politics, and many other issues you'll not want to deal with. A sizable portion of the country will now hate you. You'll be dealing with liars and bad people on a daily basis. And while you might be able to do some good here and there, you're not ever going to save the world. After a while, it's just a paycheck, and your main desire will be to have an uneventful day and go home at the end of your shift.

TheBeast likes this.
  24. Apr 21, 2019 at 12:30 PM
    Silv333

Silv333 Patriot

Member:
    NJ-NC-MD-NC
    Vehicle:
    Inaccurate statement...I was a firefighter for 15 years and switched to law enforcement. I personally know two others that did the same. It got boring at times.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    MotoTundra and kparrow[OP] like this.
  25. Apr 21, 2019 at 12:31 PM
    Silv333

Silv333 Patriot

Member:
    NJ-NC-MD-NC
    Vehicle:
    This is not accurate. I know a ton of officers who were never in the military.

Wahayes, Sp33dNut and kparrow[OP] like this.
  26. Apr 21, 2019 at 12:35 PM
    Silv333

Silv333 Patriot

Member:
    NJ-NC-MD-NC
    Vehicle:
    Working with local police and deputies regularly, there’s politics in both, but the politics in a Sheriff’s Office is definitely worse.

27. Apr 21, 2019 at 12:39 PM
    Faht Nocker

Faht Nocker Platinum Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Woody
    Milky Way
    Vehicle:
    2016 Super Fast White Platinum 4x4 Faux PRO Tundra
    This is a great idea in my opinion. I know some guys that could only find part-time work and the pay was atrocious. Not saying it can't work out for you, but going for a ride a long and witnessing calls would be beneficial. And ask a lot of questions.

kparrow[OP] likes this.
  28. Apr 21, 2019 at 12:50 PM
    teedubbya

Member:
    Austin TX
    Vehicle:
    Damn, two people?? Whoa

29. Apr 21, 2019 at 1:01 PM
    Jim LE 1301

Jim LE 1301 Camaro Lover, SSEM # 11,TTC#179

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Hudson Valley, New York
    Vehicle:
    2018 MGM Tundra TRD Sport Double Cab
    Kevin,
    My question is, is it in your heart or are you just looking for a career change. I was first generation LEO in my family and they really didn't want me to join. Ever since I was little I wanted to be a police officer. I did 24 years before I got hurt and was forced to retire or I'd still be there today. I could have retired after 20 years but I didn't want to. It is a tough job today with everyone recording everything that you do. If your heart is in it you will do fine and have no issues. I worked with several officers that left and went to the fire department. Rarely do you hear of firemen leaving and going to the police department but it happens. Just keep in mind you will work crazy hours and holidays. I had a very rewarding career and I miss it. I have lost several friends to the job ( shot, accidents and September 11th) those are the things that are the hardest.
    If you like IT, maybe you can go Federally.
    If your heart is in it to want to help and make a difference then I say go for it.
    Good luck with your decision and let us know on your future.
    PM me if you want to talk.

30. Apr 21, 2019 at 1:12 PM
    kparrow

kparrow [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Nampa, ID
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra DC 4x4 5.7l V8 Blue Streak Metallic
    Goodyear UltraTerrain AT 275/70/r18, Stoptech Cryo Slotted Rotors/Hawk LTS Pads, DECKED, and lots more!
    I actually just caught a similar break with being the junior member of a team of 3 in the IT Security team of a hospital. Our team lead just got out of the Air Force doing IT security for a data center over in the UK and knows a ton! I just feel like I know nothing and it’s all over my head. Was considering starting to study for my CISSP, I just don’t know if my heart is really in it. Some days I just find myself thinking it’s so pointless and stupid, that I don’t want anything to do with it. Other days it’s ok, just tedious for me most of the time.

To Top