1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I get a sway bar for towing in my 4x4 2018 SR5? Any other "good to have" upgrades for towing?

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by JaxSmith, Aug 11, 2019.

1. Aug 11, 2019 at 5:20 PM
    JaxSmith

JaxSmith [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2018 Silver Sky Metallic Tundra SR5 CM 5.7L 4x4
    Hey all! So I've been getting ready to go pick up my new TT, the 29 foot, 5400lb dry Coleman that I had posted about last week, and I've been reading up on the TRD sway bar. I've seen some mixed messages on this thing, but the most average consensus I've seen is that the rear sway bar is a pretty decent investment when you're planning to tow. I don't really intend to take this truck off road for fun, so shy of necessity (I live in Hurricane country, or maybe will want to go boondocking) this is going to be a towing/daily driver truck only. So far, the only downsides I've heard to getting the read TRD sway bar is for going offroad, so I don't think that'll be an issue for me. What do y'all think?

Basically, I've been trying to get a grasp on what sort of tech I can throw at the problem of towing a big ol trailer like mine to make it even more safe. Currently my truck is still completely stock, and I using the 1200lb Equal-i-zer 4 point sway WDH. I've heard mixed things about stuff like airbags, which some folks say actively works against the WDH and is a bad idea if you have one, so I wasn't sure if that would be a good investment as well along with the bar or if the stock suspension will be enough.

For now, the first thing I'd likely get is the sway bar, if that's a good idea. But if there are any other suggested upgrades for increasing the safety or comfort while towing, I'm all ears!

Thanks!

2. Aug 11, 2019 at 5:26 PM
    Shephard_Of_The_Tundra

Shephard_Of_The_Tundra DIY try guy

Member:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Tundra SR5 4.6 DC 2WD
    Morimoto 2 stroke H4 LED Headlight Bulb VLEDs 3157ck Amber Triton V6 TurnSignal Auxito LED reverse bulbs OEM Toyota LED smoked fog lights Auxito LED T10 license plate bulbs Auxito LED T10 Side marker headlights LASFIT LED T10 3rd brake light Xenon Depot T10 LED Bed/Brake Lights TRD Off-Road Black/Chrome Wheels Bridgestone Duellers 255/70/R18 Front & Rear TRD Sway bars MBRP Dual side exhaust exits Drop-in K&N air filter TRD air flow accelerator Toyota Rubber floor liners OEM Rear under seat storage box Kenwood DMX7706S head unit TRD Shifter knob Center console organizer tray Dual USB fast chargers center stack
    The TRD seat bars for the front and rear will definetly add stability while on road, but will restrict articulation in the rear while off roading...

JaxSmith[OP] likes this.
  3. Aug 11, 2019 at 5:26 PM
    Shephard_Of_The_Tundra

Shephard_Of_The_Tundra DIY try guy

Member:
    Corpus Christi, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black Tundra SR5 4.6 DC 2WD
    Morimoto 2 stroke H4 LED Headlight Bulb VLEDs 3157ck Amber Triton V6 TurnSignal Auxito LED reverse bulbs OEM Toyota LED smoked fog lights Auxito LED T10 license plate bulbs Auxito LED T10 Side marker headlights LASFIT LED T10 3rd brake light Xenon Depot T10 LED Bed/Brake Lights TRD Off-Road Black/Chrome Wheels Bridgestone Duellers 255/70/R18 Front & Rear TRD Sway bars MBRP Dual side exhaust exits Drop-in K&N air filter TRD air flow accelerator Toyota Rubber floor liners OEM Rear under seat storage box Kenwood DMX7706S head unit TRD Shifter knob Center console organizer tray Dual USB fast chargers center stack
    *Sway

4. Aug 11, 2019 at 5:33 PM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    I had airbags and WDH and had no issues with a 5k lb trailer. Airbags was one of the first things I added to my new truck.

You can try different pressures in the airbags to see what works best.

Bigboitundra likes this.
  5. Aug 11, 2019 at 5:34 PM
    JaxSmith

JaxSmith [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Do you recommend both front and rear? I've really only seen folks talking about the rear, so I wasn't sure if the front was worth it.

6. Aug 11, 2019 at 5:36 PM
    timsp8

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    You already have a front sway bar so you can try that out first. The TRD is heavier but the stock one should be fine.

JaxSmith[OP] likes this.
  7. Aug 11, 2019 at 5:39 PM
    JaxSmith

JaxSmith [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    Ahhhhh, I didn't realize that. Maybe that's why folks only ever talk about adding a rear one.

8. Aug 11, 2019 at 5:46 PM
    timsp8

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    I’d start out with just a rear sway bar to help and then see how it goes before you throw money at something that isn’t a problem yet. 5400 is well within capacity of these trucks. Airbags, better suspension and other stuff could help, but you could find that you truck and towing condition is just fine without any of it.

JaxSmith[OP] likes this.
  9. Aug 11, 2019 at 5:47 PM
    JaxSmith

JaxSmith [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    That sounds like solid advice. I tend to try to presolve problems, and I figured this was probably one of those times.

I appreciate the responses, folks!

10. Aug 12, 2019 at 2:57 PM
    djhase

djhase New Member

Member:
    I pull a 5000 lb horse trailer with my stock 2019 Limited CM. I have a weight distribution hitch but no sway bar or air bags. Rear only sinks a little over an inch so no need for anything extra. Pulls it like its not even there.

JaxSmith[OP] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top