1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Should I buy? 2013 Platinum w/140k miles, $12k

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by eyerly, Apr 7, 2020.

?

Would you buy this truck?

1. Yes

45.5%
  2. No

22.7%
  3. Not enough information

31.8%
  1. Apr 7, 2020 at 7:03 AM
    eyerly

eyerly [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dane
    I just sold my '09 Sequoia with the intention of buying a Tundra and I think I've found a good one, but I'd like some input first.

This truck has 140k miles on it. It's been in an accident, although the CarFax checks out and shows that the accident was minor - front of the truck hit a tree. As far as I know there were no airbags deployed. The truck seems to run and drive fine, doors all open and close properly, etc. It looks like the grill was possibly replaced and some metal under the hood (near the battery compartment) has been re-shaped back into place, and the headlight is new.

My concern is that I've never bought a vehicle that has been in an accident. I'm not entirely sure what to look for or what to be cautious about. For $12,000 including TTL is this a decent deal? Should I avoid it? What should I look for or consider?

Thanks for your help!

2. Apr 7, 2020 at 7:09 AM
    PLC721

PLC721 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Patrick
    Chandler, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 Ram 2500 Cummins Laramie
    IG: PLC721
    Frame? Engine bay? Interior condition?

3. Apr 7, 2020 at 7:14 AM
    eyerly

eyerly [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dane
    As far as I can tell the frame wasn't damaged (although, I'm not REALLY knowledgeable on what to look for here beyond obvious visual issues). The engine bay was repaired near the front drivers' side headlight and battery compartment. The interior appears to be in fantastic condition.

4. Apr 7, 2020 at 7:15 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
    Have a trusted mechanic check it out.

5. Apr 7, 2020 at 7:35 AM
    Ctimrun

Ctimrun New Member

Member:
    Be sure to check thoroughly for electrical gremlins as well. My wife was involved in a collision in a land cruiser, body shop did a great job repairing the metal, paint, and mechanical, but the electrical gremlins started and haunted us until we traded it in. I can deal with body and paint work if it drives well after repairs, the electrical issues were a PIA.

eyerly[OP] likes this.
  6. Apr 7, 2020 at 7:41 AM
    ColoradoTJ

ColoradoTJ Certified tow LEO Staff Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    LML 3500HD
    Calibrated Power 5 Tune pack, Allison 1000 tune, PPE deep trans pan, Cold/Hot CAC pipes, Banks CAI, PCV reroute, resonator delete, S&B 62 gal fuel tank, B&W GN hitch
    As others have stated, go have a third party inspection done.

For around 150.00, you can get a detailed inspection that can save you thousands.

T-Rex266, JLS in WA and eyerly[OP] like this.
  7. Apr 7, 2020 at 7:53 AM
    eyerly

eyerly [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dane
    Finding a place that's open for inspection during this pandemic is quite difficult...I'm going to keep calling around, but do you have any advice on what specifically to look for myself (other than what's already been mentioned)?

8. Apr 7, 2020 at 7:57 AM
    WNY PAT

WNY PAT New Member

Member:
    Western New York
    Vehicle:
    2017 Crewmax Limited (Mines) 2019 Crewmax SR5 (Work)
    If it was a minor hit, it’s probably not a big deal. Probably have a new headlight, new fender liner and maybe fog light. If it was a harder hit, you probably have a new fender and hood and some paint work. Do you know how to spot paint work? Easiest way is to clean it very well and look for imperfections... compare to the other side of the truck. Also look for paint that is cracked off of the heads of the bolts on that side of the truck under the hood... the fenders just bolt on. Compare the driver side and passenger side headlights... look closely at the grill... look at all the bolt heads... look for VIN stickers that are on one side but not the other... symmetry And consistency is made in a factory... asymmetry comes from aftermarket repairs IMO.... etc. Or if you’re not sure how to look, ask a friend who does. And keep in mind there are probably 5 trucks out there with no accident history you can find if you’re patient. In that sense, IMO there has to be something about THIS truck that makes it good And outweighs the accident on the Carfax. IDK.. this is personal. It the service history exemplary? The price and mileage great? The exact color/options you want? Whatever floats your boat.

IMO, I wouldn’t be too worried about it if everything looks right and it really turns out to have been a minor hit that was fixed right. OTOH, if you can notice metal structures under the hood that have been fixed half-a$$ed with a slide hammer, chances are they fixed it on the cheap. No reputable body shop would let a proper fix out the door that a person who hasn’t been around auto repairs would notice IMo... so when you say you can see the attempted repairs under the hood... that would worry me about the rest of the repair. Good luck... my two cents anyway.

jtwags, dittothat and eyerly[OP] like this.
  9. Apr 7, 2020 at 8:06 AM
    eyerly

eyerly [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dane
    Thanks for the input so quickly! I've found a trusted mechanic that can take a look at it right away and do a multi-point inspection. If it all checks out that's a win...if he suggests that I walk away that's a win too because it'll save me the headaches down the road! WIN-WIN!

WNY PAT likes this.
  10. Apr 7, 2020 at 8:17 AM
    ChillTree

ChillTree New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Tundra Platinum
    TRD Pro Rims
    If ur that worried about move on, that being said 12k for a '13 Tundra is unheard of.

Northwoods22 likes this.
  11. Apr 7, 2020 at 8:35 AM
    TRD-tv

TRD-tv Menace2Ohio

Member:
    Cleveland OH
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM Tundra TRD
    i got 2012 SR5 WITH 116k and the dealer wouldnt budge from 20. i actually left.....but i came back lol2012_toyota_tundra-pic-1508146192560187333-1024x768.jpg

Northwoods22 likes this.
  12. Apr 7, 2020 at 8:48 AM
    dittothat

dittothat New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    SD
    Vehicle:
    2016 MGM Platinum
    And as always, when purchasing a used vehicle, be sure to test everything out. All the knobs, switches, seat adjustments, whatever.. just to make sure some wiring didn’t come loose. Front end collision, be sure to find a straight stretch of road test out the 4wd. Most likely fine, but you never know what was jolted in the hit.. especially a tree.

eyerly[OP] likes this.
  13. Apr 7, 2020 at 8:56 AM
    41bigdawg

41bigdawg Let the BIG DAWG Eat

Member:
    First Name:
    Robert
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra DC 5.7
    Magnum front, Iron Cross rear bumpers, SB Cold air intake and Gibson Metal Mulisha exhaust, Fender flares, Tow mirrors, 18" Outlaw wheels, 12k Smitty X2O winch, Tech 12v auto start, Firestone Air Bags, Pedal Commander, Devil Horns, etc...
    That is a Steal of a Deal if it all checks out !!

14. Apr 7, 2020 at 11:26 AM
    eyerly

eyerly [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dane
    Well, I'm sure glad I followed the advice and got that truck checked out!

Once the truck was up in the air I could see all the issues - frame bent and cracked in 2 places, axles throwing grease all over the place and leaking some fluid, I counted at least 12 junkyard parts, the shop pointed out some bad welds, and a few other things that just made this truck all wrong. The mechanic indicated that there was at least $10k in repairs that still need to be done!

Thanks for all the help! I guess it's time to go back and start looking for another one...

15. Apr 7, 2020 at 11:42 AM
    bleach

bleach MEME Fiend

Member:
    First Name:
    DJ
    Battle Ground, WA
    Vehicle:
    1991 White Xtra-cab SR5 4X4 V6 5 speed 148K
    It's one of those too good to be true vehicles. When I looked for my Tundra in CL, I made sure none of my searches included reconstructed titles. If I didn't those outnumbered the good ones. There's a lot of sketchy sellers that buy and sell wrecked vehicles in my area.

Hoff and 14burrito like this.
  16. Apr 7, 2020 at 12:00 PM
    JLS in WA

JLS in WA New Member

Member:
    Somewhere in the basalt rocks with my dogs
    Vehicle:
    2008 White DC Limited 4x4
    Drahthaar Transport Unit
    Agreed. LOTS of those in the Portland area when I was looking.

This price seemed extraordinarily low. I paid 18k for an 08 Limited with 80k miles. I’d expect a 14 Platinum to be at least as much, given the mileage.

bleach[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Apr 7, 2020 at 12:10 PM
    bleach

bleach MEME Fiend

Member:
    First Name:
    DJ
    Battle Ground, WA
    Vehicle:
    I could tell you why but I could get banned for pointing out there's a certain nationality here that is notorious for making such shoddy repairs.

18. Apr 7, 2020 at 12:13 PM
    JLS in WA

JLS in WA New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Drahthaar Transport Unit
    No need to elaborate. I saw the same thing in the Missoula area on Facebook Marketplace.

bleach[QUOTED] likes this.
  19. Apr 7, 2020 at 12:21 PM
    JLS in WA

JLS in WA New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Drahthaar Transport Unit
    @eyerly I spent about three months watching listings prior to buying mine. I don’t know about your area, but in the PNW the Tundra market is very strong.

Know your book values, and if you see a vehicle markedly under these you can safely assume something is wrong with it or it warrants a thorough inspection as you wisely did. Odds are good you’ll watch these “deals” sit on the lot for a very long time. Call ahead and ask if it’s a salvage title to save some driving and time.

Northwoods22 and bleach like this.
  20. Apr 7, 2020 at 12:30 PM
    T-Guy69

T-Guy69 New Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    Black 2020 Tundra SR5
    Exactly right! Every used Toyota I purchased I have had a Toyota Dealer check out. I never regretted it. I consider it money well spent. Be sure to give them the Carfax and any other info you have.

21. Apr 7, 2020 at 12:45 PM
    JJcksn12

JJcksn12 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Silver Sky Platinum 4x4
    I would try find out the date of the accident also..

22. Apr 7, 2020 at 1:51 PM
    Northwoods22

Northwoods22 New Member

Member:
    MN
    Vehicle:
    2013 tundra grade
    If the truck is good and legit that is an absolutely amazing deal. I paid a hell of a lot more for my 2013 with 115k back in September. Sounds to good to be true

whoops sorry didn’t see your post saying you got it checked out and it was serious trouble, congrats man almost a better feeling knowing you dodged a bullet, woofta

23. Apr 7, 2020 at 1:55 PM
    bleach

bleach MEME Fiend

Member:
    First Name:
    DJ
    Battle Ground, WA
    Vehicle:
    It was too good be true...

24. Apr 8, 2020 at 6:14 PM
    Lightning_Lad

Lightning_Lad New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Orange CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Silver Sky Platinum Pro
    Line x Bed liner Trifold Tonneau cover TRD PRO Dual exhaust TRD PRO sway bar TRD PRO air intake TRD PRO suspension TRD PRO LED 2019 Headlight conversion TRD 2020 Wireless charging tray TRD shift knob TRD PRO Grille TRD red anodized dust caps (+25 hp per wheel) Matt black mirror caps and door handles Tesla style Headunit KTJO 4x4 tail gate pop n lock upgrade Driver side grab handle Viper Remote start Viper alarm system 18” Method NV’s 33.5” Toyo R/T ESP Long box underseat storage 3M ceramic tint
    Well done for listening to your gut and getting it checked out properly. Putting it on a lift was the only true method of doing a thorough inspection.

$12k for a 2013 140k miles already sounded suspect.

Mr Badwrench likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top