1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sequoia ticking and knocking noise

Discussion in 'Sequoia 1st Gen (2001-2007)' started by daisy_8899, Dec 3, 2018.

1. Dec 3, 2018 at 12:56 PM
    daisy_8899

daisy_8899 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2005 toyota sequoia
    Ticking and knocking noise
    Engine knocking sound or tickling Noise. I went to the dealer to diagnosis what is wrong, but they cannot figure out. The dealership recommended to replace the whole engine quoting $9,800 for parts and labor. The vehicle has only 52,000 miles on it, It should not be having this problem. The car is not worth that much, as I would be spending on it. Looking online there are others with the same problem and some have said Toyota has replaced their engine. I contacted the executive office and they denied any assistance, seems like they do not want to stand behind their customers when problems arise until it becomes a bigger issue. I am just letting you guys know of this problem, but I want to involve media and others with this problem. It is not fair to spend so much money on a car just for the engine to go out at 52,000 miles. There has to be some kind of manufacture defect. I'm thinking to start a campaign against Toyota, but we all need to come together

2. Dec 3, 2018 at 1:05 PM
    14burrito

14burrito IG @14burrito

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 CM 4x4 5.7
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    The 5.7l is notorious for a noisy valvetrain.

Wrongside likes this.
  3. Dec 3, 2018 at 1:13 PM
    Grumpy Uncle

Grumpy Uncle Pushing string down the hall SSEM #10

Member:
    First Name:
    Pat
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2016 Black CM Tundra TRD Off Road
    4:88s and Auburn LSD, dealership faux Pro, 35" BFGs on XD wheels, OME Lift with Dakars
    They might have had their engines replaced while under warranty.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  4. Dec 3, 2018 at 2:25 PM
    landphil

landphil Fish are food, not friends!

Member:
    First Name:
    Phil
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    ‘08 TRD doublecab
    I’d find a good mechanic that can actually diagnose the cause before anything else. Replacing an engine for an unknown cause is not a wise decision.

As you say, at 52,000 miles this probably shouldn’t happen. That is assuming all maintenance has been performed as required. But the powertrain warranty also expired 8 - 9 years ago.

The 4.7L engines are pretty darn good, the million mile Tundra is proof.

Now, this ticking noise. Is it loud when you accelerate, and get quiet when you decelerate?

NewImprovedRon likes this.
To Top