1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sequoia 2016 noise

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by jdankha, Jan 30, 2016.

1. Jan 30, 2016 at 10:51 AM
    jdankha

jdankha [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    huntington beach
    Vehicle:
    2016 sequoia
    Hello everyone. I know it's not a Tundra but at dead end and I hope someone can help me. Given there not many sequoia owners/forums. I am desperate.
    I have a brand new 2016 sequoia 5.7l. After break in period, the truck developed a humming/droning sound that is most pronounced at 1600 rpm. I have gone rounds and rounds with toyota and they are claiming it is normal. I have test driven 2 brand new sequoia, 1 brand new tundra and 1 older sequoia. None of them have this noise.
    I took it to my small shop trusted mechanic and he said it is a radiator fan clutch issue.
    Does that make sense? Any ideas of what it could be?

2. Jan 30, 2016 at 11:40 AM
    T-Rex266

T-Rex266 Elon approved Staff Member

Member:
  3. Jan 30, 2016 at 6:20 PM
    LOTSOFTOYS

LOTSOFTOYS Toyota Whisperer

Member:
    First Name:
    Jace
    Mile high
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tundra DBL cab
    If toyota said it's normal it's probably normal... plus it's under warranty if anything happens it's covered

4. Jan 30, 2016 at 6:57 PM
    jdankha

jdankha [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    john
    huntington beach
    Vehicle:
    2016 sequoia
    I am not sure what "normal" means. if it is so loud it is driving me crazy, and if 4 other trucks didn't have it, then I am not sure what "normal" means.

I am not concerned about something happening, I just can't drive my brand new $55k truck, it is that annoying.

I respectfully disagree with you that Toyota's word is written in stone. no one knows my truck more than I do. and I can tell you it is not "normal", I am 50 years old and I have been driving trucks since I was 14 in my dad's farm driving his 1977 chevy "custom deluxe". unfortunately I am not a mechanic to figure this one out.

Toyota response is very typical of how we approach things these days. if it is obvious, they will fix it, if not, they will brush it away and tell me I am the problem hoping I will go away. which unfortunately, I might have to do because I have no recourse with them.

I even went back the sales person who sold me the truck, he drove it and within 0.5 mile he said, that does not sound right. then he drove a used 2010 sequoia that he had on the lot. we left the parking lot and promptly turned around and said, I don't need to drive it more, I can tell the difference.
    I am awaiting this dealership's service shop to call Toyota and see what happens. I am not optimistic since the special technician is probably the same guy since it is in the same county as the one before.

I was just hoping the gurus in this forum would shed some light on some possible reasons. at this I will pay for the repairs myself, I don't care, I just want to find out what the issue is.

5. Jan 30, 2016 at 8:47 PM
    csuviper

csuviper Moderator Staff Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Broomfield, CO
    Vehicle:
    2019 TRD Sport CM 5.7L 4X4
    Some Mods :) See build thread for details
    Any chance you can capture this on a recording? Haven't heard of what you are describing from anyone. Based on it being a vibration noise I would suspect bearing. Should be tracked down fairly easily by a tech so maybe that is not it in your case.
    Keep on the dealer about trying to pinpoint and fix the problem.

Products Discussed in

To Top