1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Semi Vent....Semi Inquiry...

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by ubserved, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Jun 14, 2017 at 10:25 PM
    ubserved

ubserved [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    2017 Toytota Tundra Platinum Crewmax
    Grillguard, front LED light bar, Leer Tonneau cover, rear LED bars
    I am curious? I bought a new 2017 Tundra CM Platinum almost 6 months ago. The only issue I knew of was a frayed moon roof shade at time of delivery that they replaced and ended up puncturing my rear leather seats when they did it, those were fixed as well. I have had a plastic grinding noise when I roll up the drivers window. They tell me that is normal even though its not on the other windows. Today we had a nice sunny day here in Oregon....go figure considering it's still snowing at Crater Lake. Anyways, I go to open my moonroof, it opens about 1 inch and no further and has some grinding noises. Thankfully I was able to get it to close...I hope....completely. That's my first call to Toyota in the morning. My question is has anyone else had these kind of problems with their Tundra being basically brand new? I am at 6k miles on it as of today. As a new first time Tundra owner, it's making me wonder if I should have stayed with the Silverado. I know...blasphemy but nevertheless it has me wondering.

2. Jun 14, 2017 at 10:31 PM
    JH5370

JH5370 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White DC TRD PRO
    I also have a 17 and haven't experienced any window issues. Mine sound smooth going up and down. I don't have a sunroof, but what you're describing is not normal for Tundras.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  3. Jun 14, 2017 at 10:34 PM
    Darth Tundra

Darth Tundra I AM....YOUR FATHER

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Vehicle:
    17 CM TRD Black
    Revtek 2.5 level kit, 295/70/18 on stock rims..no rear mods
    I live in Portland...which dealership did you buy from.....and thats NOT NORMAL.

GNTundra and NewImprovedRon like this.
  4. Jun 14, 2017 at 10:56 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors
    Not normal or common, try a different dealer if you need to. Sometimes things get missed, I'm sure it has to do with a lot of different factors, techs, service advisor, workload, etc.

My transmission went at like 2,400 miles and after they replaced it I had what sounded like an intermittent heat shield rattle. At the time I was very busy and a bit disappointed with a new issue and I didn't bother looking myself. I took it to the dealer 4 times and they couldn't locate the source of the rattle.

One day after that, it happened at start up and went away. I got pissed, got under the truck and started tapping all the heat shields with my hand to find one loose. Within about 40 seconds I found a loose heat shield, bent it out a bit, and haven't had the issue since.

I'm not badmouthing the dealer or the techs by any means, things gets missed, issues can be really hard to diagnose sometimes. I will say I am really happy I gave it a shot myself, truthfully I should have checked myself the first time it happened.

If you didn't check out the sunroof yourself, make sure there are no obstructions on the rails (sliding mechanism, not sure what they are called) and they look lubricated. The sunroof has a safety like windows where if there is resistance they won't close (so kids don't break fingers, etc.). Maybe it has something to do with that feature, bad sensor or improper adjustment, not lubricated, obstructed, etc.

Instead of typing a novel I should have just said "make sure you check out the sunroof yourself for anything obvious".....

5. Jun 14, 2017 at 11:42 PM
    ubserved

ubserved [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    I bought it at Capital Toyota in Salem. I am going to go over there in the morning, they can't put you on hold when you are in their face. 8) I may very well go to a different dealership in the future. I have been jerked around before at that dealership, the next closest is like 30 miles away. I doubt I will buy from them again.

6. Jun 15, 2017 at 12:02 AM
    831Tun

831Tun heartless Bastrd

Member:
    First Name:
    Warren
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    '16 CM limited
    TC long travel. Deaver 420 SU leaf packs.
    Sorry to hear about your issues. It's not normal or common. My sunroof works properly and I haven't noticed any unusual noises from any of my windows. I hope they get this sorted out satisfactorily for you. I've never really had problem with my Tundras (5) but I've had problems with the local dealership.

NewImprovedRon likes this.
  7. Jun 15, 2017 at 4:25 PM
    ubserved

ubserved [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    Update. I went to the dealership today. The service adviser hopped in the truck. I hit the open button on the moonroof and it opened just fine. I was like in drunken marine out of beer mode at that point. The adviser had this amused look on his face so I pushed the button again to close it and it moved about an inch and had quite a bit of crunching noises. I felt vindicated in a warped kind of way. They took the truck and put me in a rental until Wed/Thurs next week. I am now driving the great pumpkin, i.e. orange Tundra and can't help wonder who would pick a color like this. Either way, hopefully I get my baby back sooner rather than later.

8. Jun 15, 2017 at 4:41 PM
    Juanjoolio007

Juanjoolio007 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Sky Platinum Crew Max
    Bed Rug, Tonneau cover, Window visors, Console organizer, Weather Tech's
    Isn't the 13th General order to never run out of alcohol? lol Sometimes you have to go through the motions with the dealer...no matter how dumb they are. It took me 3 days once to get a hold of an advisor about my touch screen not working. My dealer has this worthless 3 C's department. I then had all my gauges stop working once and all the lights in the gauges come on. Again I couldn't get a hold of anyone and I thought about getting my truck towed to the other Toyota dealer by me....good thing I found some patience somewhere. If i did that it would have cost me hundreds of dollars for the tow and whatever they wanted to do....Instead 1 minute on the phone with my dealer and the problem was diagnosed and fixed for free the next day...My speedo calibrator stopped working and the parts guy had just got off the phone with another customer with the same issue.

Where at in Portland are you? I thought you were down in Coos Bay....no idea where i would have got that from :)

9. Jun 15, 2017 at 4:59 PM
    Tacogrande

Tacogrande New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeremy
    Vehicle:
    2016 SR5 dbl. cab long bed gray
    Husky weatherbeaters,short antenna,window deflectors
    My drivers side window seems to work just fine except there is a streak of oil vertically on the inside like one of the rollers has an excessive amount of grease on it. I have cleaned it a bunch of times but it always comes back from operating the window. I always wonder if i get tinted windows will this cause a problem?

Hope they resolve your trucks issues as fast as possible.

10. Jun 15, 2017 at 6:35 PM
    Darth Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Vehicle:
    17 CM TRD Black
    Milwaukie

11. Jun 15, 2017 at 7:22 PM
    MotoTundra

MotoTundra The Ocho

Member:
    First Name:
    Don
    -TRS Mini D2S Retrofit on TRD Pro Headlights (Apollo 2.0 Shrouds, 35w XB Ballasts, 5500k Bulbs) -Baja Designs Squadron R Sport Aux lights. -TRD Pro Grill -TRD Rear Sway Bar -BakFlip VP Tonneau w/BakBox -Dipped wheels & bumpers -Iron Cross HD steps -Undercover Swingcase -SunTek Paint Protection film -Tinted glass -Bedmat -OEM Towing Mirrors

Best of luck. I'm surprised you got a Tundra, I had a Passat while they did my transmission.

12. Jun 15, 2017 at 9:22 PM
    Darth Tundra

Member:
    First Name:
    Curt
    Vehicle:
    17 CM TRD Black
    Only the noise of my seat rumble when i pass gas. :eek: :puke:

13. Jun 15, 2017 at 9:41 PM
    ubserved

ubserved [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Vehicle:
    I got the tundra as a rental being I am 6'5 and if they put me into some smaller vehicle, I would have to rip the front seat out and drive from the back seat lol.

JH5370 likes this.
  14. Jun 16, 2017 at 9:24 AM
    JH5370

JH5370 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Eastern WA
    Vehicle:
    2017 White DC TRD PRO
    Haha I test drove an inferno crew max before I bought my truck and I thought that same thing. To each their own but orange ain't my cup of tea.

Products Discussed in

To Top