1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Seeking trim advice

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Corvus1, Jun 16, 2020.

1. Jun 16, 2020 at 7:31 AM
    Corvus1

Corvus1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Seeking advice on which trim to go with based on plans.

This will be a DD and take a LOT of trips. We mountain bike and get away 3-4 weekends/month @ 4-6 hrs one way, and 2-3 longer trips/year of 10-20hrs one way. Based out of Colorado. So a lot of highway miles but wanting the capability to access and camp in the more remote locations. Not currently planning on regearing or adding a locker. May increase tire size but probably stay in the 33-34 range. We've decided to purchase an AT Overland Summit. The shell weighs under 400lbs, but with some of the things we'll be building into the bed and keep in there full time we can figure a 500lb permanent load (shell + minor storage, second battery system, etc.).

This is where I need opinions. If you were figuring a 500lb permanent load addition would the TRD Off-Road package or TRD Pro suspension be plenty or would I still be better off looking for a lower spec Tundra and immediately installing an aftermarket suspension/wheels tires?

2. Jun 16, 2020 at 7:42 AM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    Someone else told me the Pro is leveled so may not be the best choice if you plan to haul a lot.

FlyingWolfe likes this.
  3. Jun 16, 2020 at 7:53 AM
    Seafury

Seafury Kickin names, and takin ass!

Member:
    First Name:
    Agent K
    SC Low Country
    Vehicle:
    2014 White 1794 "SnowWhite aka the Frost Queen"
    Bilstein 6112/5160, 3 CB front shims, SPC UCA's, CB +3 rear Shackles, total 3/2 lift, Dif drop, CB Carrier bearing drop, Fortin Evo One remote start from Tech12volts PnP, AMP research Powersteps PnP, Vent shades, Tinted windows, Black/Red lined cupholder inserts, Proclip USA dash phone mount with Scosche Magic Mount wireless magnetic phone charger, Stock wheels/tires for now.
    Nothing stock is going to carry that load plus your gear without sagging some.

Best advice, is to pick the trim with the options you want, and budget to rip out the existing shocks and rear leafs or shackles to replace with something better, Bilstein, Icon, Fox, King $$$, Coachbuilder, Dakkar, etc.

And forgive me, but I see a lot of people talk about putting on 33s.... why only go up 1 tiny inch, which actual lift is probably less than 1in?

Tires are what actually gives you increased ground clearance in most cases, which is what is best for offroading.

My truck stock tire size is 31.9in, so 32's.
    Granted mines a 1794 but still, I will go to 34in at least, but hopefully 35's.

Good luck on your search and let us know how it turns out!

4. Jun 16, 2020 at 7:56 AM
    JoshuaA

JoshuaA Canuck Member

Member:
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Blaaack 2.5G
    I’d do modified leaf geometry for a permanent load, like Alcans. The Pro will squat, it’s already level.

Corvus1[OP] likes this.
  5. Jun 20, 2020 at 2:30 PM
    Corvus1

Corvus1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Looking at what we want, the Pro already has 95% built in. Would it work to simply upgrade the rear springs? If I can swap to heavier springs in the rear of the pro to accommodate the load then the only other thing I'd upgrade would be the tires. Swapping the springs should be relatively inexpensive but I don't know enough about suspension to know if the shocks would still perform appropriately for the load with a simply spring swap. The alternative is getting a basic 4WD SR5 and doing A LOT of aftermarket upgrades.

6. Jun 20, 2020 at 3:51 PM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    The pro doesn't have much over an SR5 that isn't purely cosmetic or easily added for less than the price difference in the trims. If you aren't planning to go super crazy on the tires and you aren't going to be rolling really rough terrain, then an SR5 with the TRD Off road Package (mainly for LED headlights) will take your 500lb rack/tent and basically level out because of the stock rake. If you are upgrading the springs, you can do that in the SR5 just as easily and not pay the premium for the Pro cosmetics. Nothing wrong with the Pro at all, but there is very little functional difference between it or any other trim.

Cpl_Punishment likes this.
  7. Jun 20, 2020 at 4:46 PM
    Stig

Stig New Member

Member:
    500 lbs is the same as two extra passengers

JoshuaA likes this.
  8. Jun 20, 2020 at 4:48 PM
    Cpl_Punishment

Cpl_Punishment Young men never die.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rosy
    Alberta, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM SR5 CM 4X4
    Boost Auto mirrors, RSB, Leer Legend canopy, Line-X bed liner
    More like 3 or 4.

GODZILLA and JoshuaA like this.
  9. Jun 20, 2020 at 4:48 PM
    GODZILLA

GODZILLA Hail to the King, Baby.

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    2023 Solar Octane TRD Pro TACOMA, 2022 Honda CB500X
    Trying not to mod it
    Not all of us are skinny.....

ninjajay and JoshuaA like this.
  10. Jun 20, 2020 at 6:05 PM
    JoshuaA

JoshuaA Canuck Member

Member:
    Southern Ontario
    Vehicle:
    Blaaack 2.5G
    That's a good question. I've read a lot of threads where owners with permanent loads get beefier springs on stock SR5 shocks, I can't see it much different on the Pro and leaving the Fox shocks as is (ride will probably be a bit stiffer either way because you're countering a load).

What I wouldn't do is just get shackles and/or suspension support like air bags. Those stock springs will take a beating over time if you haul/tow on top of that 500lb load and I've seen some users asking here if their springs look flat.

As for the trim, totally up to you, your money. If Pro is 95%, then that's 95% done out of the box if cost isn't a big issue. If you customize to save, that takes your time too. Some people like that transformation, others rather have it mostly done on day 1. Pro has higher resale is a possible consideration.

11. Jun 21, 2020 at 4:56 PM
    Stig

Stig New Member

Member:
    Well I thought it'd be safe to say that based on the average adult male weighing 200 lbs and female 170 :hungry:

And I didn't want to say 2.5 passengers because nobody wants to be cut in half

GODZILLA likes this.
  12. Jun 28, 2020 at 7:22 AM
    Corvus1

Corvus1 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Decided to go with an SR5 and build from there. Found an ORE that was a decent deal and we'll be able to build exactly as we want. :burnrubber: Now for the 1001 decisions about the build out..

Also, rear seat will be deleted so we won't have to deal with additional passengers... or half passengers.

panicman and Cpl_Punishment like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top