1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

scratched hood- repalcement

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by Mielle, Sep 20, 2017.

1. Sep 20, 2017 at 6:03 PM
    Mielle

Mielle [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra
    Hi,
    I just bought a tundra about 3 weeks ago. I paid for spray liner because i didn't want the trunk to get all scratched up when i put stuff in and brought my tundra back to toyota last week for them to have it done.
    When i got the car back, there was a huge scratch on the hood and a smaller one next to it.

I pointed it out and what they wanted to do what take it to a body shop and have them take off the entire paint off the hood and repaint it. I don't really want that because even though they are probably really good, its not going to be as good as factory paint and also my car is brand new and only put 40 miles on it which 15 was to go to the dealership.

I told them i would think about it and get back to them.

Today the manager called me and asked me if I had thought about it. and I told them that i still wasn't sure because I paid a lot of money for a brand new truck and they scratch it, and now i'd get a hood thats not factory paint. which is not a good deal for me at all. I asked them if they could get a factory painted hood directly from Toyota, and swap mine with it and he said, they don't come painted when they get them. so I asked if they could get a hood from a different tundra and swap it with mine. He said he'd check and make sure they are not vin coded.

5 minutes later he called me back and told me since they are not vin coded, that he can do that. I asked if he had any inferno tundras on the lot and he said yes. He said he would take the hood off of one, put it on mine and put an aftermarket hood on his tundra.

Now, what I'm scared about is that he is going to put an aftermarket hood on mine and I won't even know.

So I am here to ask you guys, is there a way to tell if it is a genuine toyota hood, and not an aftermarket one?
    or maybe you guys have a better idea of what i can do to get it fixed?

Thanks a lot!

Last edited: Sep 20, 2017
  2. Sep 20, 2017 at 6:22 PM
    tomsinamerica

tomsinamerica New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    White 2016 Tundra DC ltd
    i'm confused - you don't want it resprayed because you don't think it will match the factory finish but then you don't want his offer of a replacement in case you can't tell the difference?

So if you can't tell the difference... problem solved, no?

3. Sep 20, 2017 at 6:25 PM
    ladywolf

ladywolf New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kristen
    Clarksville TN
    Vehicle:
    05 S45 4x4 Double cab Jade Green Mica
    2.5" eibach coils/springs

If you are that scared, watch them take it off the tundra at the lot and install it on yours....or take their body shop up on the offer of the respray on the hood. My toyota dealer when I had my 5th gen 4runner had a fantastic body shop that I would trust any day.

4. Sep 20, 2017 at 6:36 PM
    joonbug

joonbug °°°°°°°°°°

Member:
    First Name:
    Joon
    NorCal - Dublin
    Vehicle:
    2020 Long Travel DC
    Honestly, factory paint sucks! As long as the color matched, I think I would rather have a hood repainted by a reputable body shop. Just not sure how easy it’ll be to match inferno.

Products Discussed in

To Top