1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Sail panels TOO “trebley”

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by Kung, Sep 5, 2020.

1. Sep 5, 2020 at 8:32 AM
    Kung

Kung [OP] [Insert Custom Title Here]

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    2020 SR5 CM 4WD, TRD Off-Road, Voodoo Blue
    Spiffy console tray Spiffy N-Fab steps Spiffy Katzkin seats
    If that’s not a word, it is now. LOL

I had my Hertz speakers and sail panels installed yesterday. They sound fantastic....but it’s almost too much treble now; additionally, the treble seems to be too “close”/directional.

Is there a way to “mute” it a bit (aside from obviously turning down the mids/highs some, which I have done)? I’m thinking I may be better off removing the sail panels, and then installing these (or other) tweeters in the dash instead.

2. Sep 5, 2020 at 9:15 AM
    SandyTRD

SandyTRD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    ‘16 Pro
    Dented bumper
    Which model speakers?

3. Sep 5, 2020 at 10:18 AM
    Kung

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    Hertz K170's - and I'm sure they would sound great in the back....if they were installed. :confused: :rolleyes::D

I assume that when I made an appointment to 'install the 4 speakers, plus the tweeters in the sail panels,' the guy who installed them thought the fronts *were* the 4 speakers.

So yeah...likely what I'll do is to have the rears installed first (with the tweeters), and if the treble from the front *still* sounds too one-directional, I can simply have the stock sail panels reinstalled, then move the front tweeters to the dash (with an adapter mounting plate set).

4. Sep 5, 2020 at 10:39 AM
    SandyTRD

SandyTRD New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    ‘16 Pro
    Dented bumper
    My 170’s were too sharp for me too. While I went a more expensive route (natch) you can also put the tweets down by the mids and leave the dash alone.

5. Sep 5, 2020 at 10:47 AM
    Danman34

Danman34 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Danny
    Vehicle:
    2018 White Tundra TRD Sport
    I have the 170s in the rear. Thank god because they are far too bright for my taste to be up front. But they are fine for the rear since I can tune the back a bit down from the fronts. Without the ability to attenuate the tweeters with an actual passive crossover, there really isn’t much you can do. I personally run CDT components up front which have a silk tweeter and the sound is so smooth and will not strain your ears after a while like a bright metal tweeter will.

6. Sep 5, 2020 at 12:04 PM
    Kung

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    Agreed, but my thought is that simply moving them from the sail panels to the dash will serve to attenuate them a bit (since they’ll not be pointed right at us).

7. Sep 5, 2020 at 3:49 PM
    dkahs05

dkahs05 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra TRD PRO
    Are you using the dsr1? If so try and tuning the treble down thats what I ended up doing. Makes a difference.

8. Sep 5, 2020 at 7:57 PM
    Kung

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    I'm not; I've got a non-JBL system; amp is the JBL Stadium 5 driving the speakers + sub.

Plan is to actually have the shop install the other set of speakers/tweeters in the back (lol) and then see how it sounds; if it's still too much treble, I'll either remove, relocate to the dash, or get something less 'tinny' sounding.

9. Sep 7, 2020 at 4:43 AM
    jwatt

jwatt I heart men

Member:
    First Name:
    Jack
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    Salsa Red 2007 Tundra DC @91k.
    7" BDS Coilover Suspension Lift/BDS UCAs/XB LED Headlights/Nitto trail Grappler tires on Black Rhyno Armory wheels
    I ve been running an ES06 in each door for a while. I have them set to 10Hz to 4000Hz sound range so music lacks the higher treble, but they are solid at high volume. The louder they are the better they sound. I still need to install the tweeters.
    @OP;A crossover is good option like Danman34 already said, or if you had a seperate 2ch amp for tweeters you could lower amplification on just them. Another way is a dsp if you already have a 4 ch amp. Otherwise relocating is probably easiest.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2020
  10. Sep 7, 2020 at 6:57 AM
    dsimonl

dsimonl New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra DC Limited MGM
    Amp Research Powersteps and Bedstep, 2018 LED headlights, LineX Platinum, Baja Designs fog lights, Driver side grab handle, SwingCase
    Many component speaker sets have separate crossovers. Those inevitably have an attenuation switch which allows +3dB, 0, -3dB settings. Depending on whether the tweeter is on-axis or off, and how far from the listener depends on how the switch position is set. You may want to find a speaker set that allows this type of tuning.

11. Sep 9, 2020 at 11:09 AM
    Kung

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    Well, current plan is to have them install the rear speakers they *ahem cough* said they would install last time I went there. (I spoke to them yesterday; they admitted it was totally their fault and will make it right.)

My guess is that it'll make the treble a bit less annoying, since now there will be treble coming from the rear tweeters as well. If it's *still* a bit too annoying or the like, I'll likely end up with a DSP.

12. Sep 15, 2020 at 8:15 AM
    Kung

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    Ok, so something occurred to me...the issue may be my fault. When I had the tweeters installed in the front, I never thought to ask around to determine *where* the stock tweeters are 'driven' from.

So when the front sail panel tweeters were installed, I just told them to wire them together with the front speakers. *facepalm*

So best question to ask is - if I'm leaving the tweeters in the sail panels where they are, where should the front sail panel tweeters be driven from?

13. Sep 15, 2020 at 8:26 AM
    AZBoatHauler

AZBoatHauler SSEM#140/ASCM#3/2ndGenNaysayer/BAF140

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    So.Arizona
    Vehicle:
    2017 CrewMax 4x4, 2017 LandCruiser, 2005 Sequoia 4x4
    Demello / SOB Fab Bumpers, SuperWinch, WKOR sliders, RCI skids, Baja Designs lighting, Billy 6112 and 5160 w/ CB +2, JL Audio with Alpine HU, DD 10" Exhaust, LED headlights, Rago fab mounts, 35” BFG, HAM radio
    Don’t they come with a built in crossover? They should be fed the signal from the corresponding mid-range speaker in the door through a crossover.
    F7E03BC6-9A13-4BF9-94AB-F85271EBB655.jpg

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  14. Sep 15, 2020 at 9:05 AM
    Kung

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    You're right....and as soon as I posted this, I remembered that Toyota configures their stuff a bit differently, and set out to figure out how. I cut out a lot of extra time by just calling James (@ Tech12Volts) who pointed out that the rear tweeters are driven directly off the *head unit.*

Which explains everything. The fronts aren't overpowering so much as the rears are *NOT* because everything *but* the rear tweeters are driven off the amplifier. At least it's a simple fix, though - I just need to (or need to have the local sound shop) wire the rear tweeters to the rear speakers.

15. Sep 22, 2020 at 3:58 PM
    Vector W8

Vector W8 Old guy with a lot of expensive habits.

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 Platinum Super White Crewmax 4X4
    FFV, TRD Supercharger, Bullydog FFV Tune, 2014 Fit Kit, TRD Dual Exhaust, Sequoia Front Sway Bar, TRD Rear Sway Bar, TRD Skid Plate, TRD Pro Grill, 040 White Mirror Covers, 040 White Door Handles, Ready Lift 3"/2", Anzo 3rd Brake Light, Winjet LED Tail Lights, LED Fog Lights, LED Rock Lights, Axle Vent Mod, SDHQ Hidden Winch Mount, 12,000lb Winch. Storm Trooper Shift Knob. BMF BATL Wheels.
    Best place for tweeters in the tundra is in the left and right dash location facing straight up.

Tactical_TRD_Pro likes this.
  16. Sep 23, 2020 at 6:17 AM
    Kung

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    KG, VA
    Vehicle:
    Well yeah, and if (when I have the rear tweeters rerouted thru the amplifer, as opposed to driven directly from the HU) they're still too harsh, I'll likely remove them from the sail panels and relocate to the dash.

Products Discussed in

To Top