1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

?'s on cutting ceramic coated Thorley collector pipes for stock converter placement question/s here

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by Youngfrankenstein, Apr 5, 2020.

1. Apr 5, 2020 at 12:35 PM
    Youngfrankenstein

Youngfrankenstein [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 CM SR5
    Hello. Like it says. I got a really good deal on some new Doug Thorley headers. I have read that D.T. header quality can be spotty, but the set I got look amazing. Welds, flanges, ceramic coating looks to notch (I can put on a couple photos if anyone wants).

If I remove the long, single 2.5 collector tube, I can practically have all 4 cats in positions very close to stock.

The ceramic coating on this set is so nice, I hate to cut it. But to keep my converter-keeping plan, I need to.

Any ideas on this? I live in a dry place that never snows and it hardly ever rains. Is there a very tough paint I can use?

Does the inside of the exhaust system trap & keep more moisture than the outside?

Can rust "creep" up a coated tube from cut ends of pipe?

Thank you for sharing any ideas/thoughts/experience on this topic.

2. Apr 5, 2020 at 5:42 PM
    Larly5000

Larly5000 Local Scumbag

Member:
    NV
    Vehicle:
    07 Crewmax
    Assuming we’re talking about long tubes? The collector is important. Essentially 50% of the design of a long tube. Chopping it off probably negates the entire effort of putting them in(which is a giant pain in the ass).

3. Apr 5, 2020 at 6:05 PM
    Youngfrankenstein

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 CM SR5
    Yes, long tubes. The 2nd "Y," before the collector is long. It goes about the back of the first converter I think. I know the AFE's are more of a mid-length header, and with their headers (4 into 1), the make good power with the first cat in about the stock position.
    Thanx.

4. Apr 5, 2020 at 6:34 PM
    CNE0207

CNE0207 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Arvada, CO
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement CM Limited
  5. Apr 6, 2020 at 10:14 AM
    Youngfrankenstein

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2015 4x4 CM SR5
    I actually already talked to DD a few months ago. Totally cool. At the time I thought that the $120 ebay, Tundra, tri-Y headers were OBX brand. I contacted the seller, they were not.

I had asked about having a set of the ($120 non existent) OBX headers sent to him, and all 4 converters, and have him make up a mid-pipe set up w/cutting the extra foot or so of the tri-Y header (again, to keep cats in semi-factory position). He was great to talk to. Overall price was a great/fair. But it was more than I could muster w/o hitting up a credit card at the time.

I have been reading on some different paints (spray or can) reviews for exhaust.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.

Products Discussed in

To Top