1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rust on rocker panel

Discussion in 'General Tundra Discussion' started by redman23, Jul 11, 2019.

1. Jul 11, 2019 at 2:24 AM
    redman23

redman23 [OP] New Member

Member:
    I noticed some rust developing on my 2014 tundra driver side rocker panel. So I checked my owner's manual regarding the warranty on corrosion and it stated 5 years 100,000. So I took it in to my local Toyota to see if it was covered. I thought it was a no brainers that it would be covered since I purchased my truck in December of 2014 and only just turned 30,000 miles. Toyota took three weeks to determine that they would fix it but only after a phone call week to get an updated status. Then they stated that the would cover it as a good will gesture which kind of irks me since it fell under the warranty time frame. Anyone else had an issue with rust on the rocker panel or Toyota dragging their feet on warranty coverage?

2. Jul 11, 2019 at 5:29 AM
    btanchors

btanchors New Member

Member:
    I do not know this for sure, but I suspect the warranty on corrosion does not cover light surface rust, it's primary for corrosion that results in perforation or a significant weakened structure part. Judging from your description, it sounds like this is only light surface rust.

3. Jul 11, 2019 at 5:33 AM
    redman23

redman23 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Thanks for the insight.

4. Jul 11, 2019 at 7:25 AM
    eharri3

eharri3 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150 Powerboost
    I have never used a corrosion warranty but I would also guess that the stronger cases involve rust from the inside out due to failing rust protection. If they see chipped paint they can say the warranty isn't meant to cover a rock hitting your truck and then the chipped spot being left without a touch-up for an extended period of time. If that's what happened they would indeed be doing you a favor.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2019
  5. Jul 11, 2019 at 9:39 AM
    redman23

redman23 [OP] New Member

Member:
    The rust is on the part of the rocker panel that is covered when the door is closed. So moister it seems may getting trapped from where you step up into the truck.

Products Discussed in

To Top