1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Running my truck with no Muffler

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by kenomouth64, Jun 9, 2017.

?

Can running your truck with only catalytic converters (no Muffler or pipes) damage your engine?

1. Yes

4 vote(s)
    20.0%
  2. No

10 vote(s)
    50.0%
  3. Unsure

6 vote(s)
    30.0%
  1. Jun 9, 2017 at 6:16 PM
    kenomouth64

kenomouth64 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tetrus
    Vehicle:
    2007 Toyota Tundra Sr5 4x4 (TRD Off Road) Crewmax 5.7L
    Hold the Line! If you are not holding the line, abandon your ship. Destruction is inevitable without more to hold the line!
    So I have a theoretical question here...

Can running your truck with only catalytic converters (no Muffler or pipes) damage your engine?

I am not too knowledgeable in regards to exhaust systems, but my gut is telling me that if someone were to leave cut the muffler off and replace it with nothing (no pipes). It would not cause any engine damage in the long run to run it like this.

However it may be very loud an annoying to the neighbors, possibly getting hat person a ticket.

Does anyone know if running the Tundra with no Muffler/Pipes could cause engine damage in the long run (4-5 years like this)?

Again this all theoretical as I have neighbor with a Tundra as well and he insists it damages your engine if you do this.

2. Jun 9, 2017 at 7:01 PM
    TXMiamiFan

TXMiamiFan SSEM #3 and tractor extraordinaire

Member:
    First Name:
    Jose
    Houston, TX
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Crew Max TRD
    TRD Pro Grille, ESP Storage, Tailgate Inserts, Line-X Bedliner, Weathertech Floorliners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, 5" Shorty Antenna, Mickey Thompson MM-366 Wheels, ToyTec Boss, 35" BFG KO2 to name a few.
    What's the bet between you and your neighbor? LOL

GNTundra and T-Rex266 like this.
  3. Jun 9, 2017 at 7:11 PM
    Juanjoolio007

Juanjoolio007 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    George
    Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2019 Silver Sky Platinum Crew Max
    Bed Rug, Tonneau cover, Window visors, Console organizer, Weather Tech's
    When i was in high school i had a slammed s10. The guy i bought it from had cut the exhaust off to have a new one put on and never did. It was cut about a foot maybe after the cat. Eventually(maybe always I'm not sure) the honeycomb material in the cat would turn red hot and it started to break apart and fly out of the pipe. I am not sure if that happened from there being no exhaust or now that i think about it maybe hitting the ground. Either way i doubt you would be able to stand open exhaust for that long. Mine was a 2.5 l 4 cylinder and it was STUPID loud. I ran it that way maybe a couple weeks to a month.

Bent valves being the damage he is talking about?

4. Jun 9, 2017 at 7:21 PM
    dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds Exhaust Fabricator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    USA
    Vehicle:
    2003 and 2013 tundra
    more than I can list here
    It won't damage your truck. I promise.

That said, you lose a considerable amount of low end torque.

You'd want to consider installing an x pipe. Or y pipe. You have to tie the two banks of exhaust together somehow.

15whtrd, T-Rex266 and dragos28 like this.
  5. Jun 9, 2017 at 7:27 PM
    dragos28

dragos28 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dragos
    Vehicle:
    tundra
    nothing much
    instead of running it with no muffler and sounding like shit, contact @dirtydeeds about a bamuffler. you will love it.

GNTundra and T-Rex266 like this.
  6. Jun 9, 2017 at 8:22 PM
    kenomouth64

Member:
    First Name:
    Tetrus
    Vehicle:
    Hold the Line! If you are not holding the line, abandon your ship. Destruction is inevitable without more to hold the line!
    Well Just to try it out, I sprayed some rust penetrant on the bolts connecting the catalytic converters to to the pipes leading to the muffler. I let the fluid sit for an hour then, broke the bolts loose, pretty easily, with a 22 Inch Craftsman 1/2 drive breaker bar. I then got a wire brush and brushed the threads as clean as I could, while oiling them. The screwed them in and out a few times, to make sure not to damage the threads. Now they go in and out easily. I dug through my box of bolts and found 4 of them that were 3 inches long and the same diameter and thread type as the bolts that were in there. I screwed those partially in, leaving a l inch gap between the pipes.

Started the truck and as expected it was quite loud, though not as loud as I originally anticipated. This is probably a good thing! It sounded OK, but it did not have that "breathy" hooning sound that I like. Well actually it did, if I kept i below 1400 RPM.

However I am concerned that running it like this for too long can cause the catalytic converters to overheat and wear out. So I will probably re-tighten them before Monday.

This has got me wondering what type of exhaust I should get, I was thinking a Magnaflow cat back exhaust with 4 Inch pipes.

I am going to look into @dirtydeeds about the bamuffler. Though i am looking for a breathy, hooning sound, ot the choppy whiny sound...

T-Rex266 likes this.
  7. Jun 9, 2017 at 8:54 PM
    kenomouth64

Member:
    First Name:
    Tetrus
    Vehicle:
    I really want to believe you! However the stats are leaning towards it being a possibility. However stats can be meaningless... especially when you are an "expert" in this type of thing. I am inclined to believe you. However i will be bolting them back together tomorrow morning before I pull my boat to the lake.

8. Jun 9, 2017 at 11:40 PM
    dirtydeeds

dirtydeeds Exhaust Fabricator Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Keith
    USA
    Vehicle:
    2003 and 2013 tundra
    more than I can list here
  9. Jun 9, 2017 at 11:41 PM
    dirtydeeds