1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Running Board lights, is it possible to rewire for color change?

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by HarrazH, Jun 3, 2021.

1. Jun 3, 2021 at 1:52 AM
    HarrazH

HarrazH [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hany
    Vehicle:
    2019 Platinum Tundra
    TRD Pro Intake TRD Pro exhaust system Tail gate lights and lock LEDs everywhere 295/55-R20
    Hi All, Thinking about adding a running board light to my truck, mainly to light the way when I unlock or open the doors but I found one from OPT7 ( https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07BYLKS1K/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=AI8A31CFKBZTU&th=1) That also has a stop and turn signal which I like.

Now the challenge is, I just installed their tailgate light (https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0771WDRHH?ref=ppx_yo2_dt_b_product_details%29 which has it's turn signal in red , so to keep things consistent, is it possible to rewire the running board light in order to get the signal light in red?

Any other ideas?

2. Jun 9, 2021 at 6:30 PM
    GWill

GWill gods gift to the internet

Member:
    First Name:
    Willis
    Don’t know what you’re talking about
    Vehicle:
    2021 Black SR5 Tundra TSS
    Did you ever find anything out about this?

3. Jun 9, 2021 at 10:39 PM
    HarrazH

HarrazH [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hany
    Vehicle:
    2019 Platinum Tundra
    TRD Pro Intake TRD Pro exhaust system Tail gate lights and lock LEDs everywhere 295/55-R20
    Not really, One seller on ebay said that evenn if I switch the wires it won't work, I decided to buy it anyway and try it myself and see. I will keep you posted.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  4. Jun 9, 2021 at 11:08 PM
    Gravy

Gravy Cat herder, ASCM #π

Member:
    Yucaipa, California
    Vehicle:
    2008 White DC 4x4, Limited TRD
    OME Nitrocharger/2612 (front), Bilstein 5100s (rear). Vanguard roll bar modified (by me) to fit over Patriot Stealth retractable tonneau. Aftermarket halo headlights with HID, various LED bulb replacements. 17" Fuel Blitz wheels with some 33" Nitto terra grapplers. Hoodscoop, nfab nerfbars, Bushwacker flares. No-name aftermarket grille, led fender extensions. Black Horse bambi-basher. Various offroad lights.
    That running board strip light you listed shows only amber and white leds in the picture, so the basic answer is no, unless you want to put some red cellotape over the top of it. If you are handy with a soldering iron and had more time than money, there's options, but honestly, NOT worth the effort.

Tundra2 likes this.
  5. Jun 9, 2021 at 11:50 PM
    HarrazH

HarrazH [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hany
    Vehicle:
    2019 Platinum Tundra
    Stupid me!!!!
    There is a park wire which for some reason I assumed it will make it light red on park, hence the switch!!! I should learn to continue reading :)

Any suggestions for other light strips?

6. Jun 10, 2021 at 12:20 AM
    Gravy

Member:
    Yucaipa, California
    Vehicle:
    OME Nitrocharger/2612 (front), Bilstein 5100s (rear). Vanguard roll bar modified (by me) to fit over Patriot Stealth retractable tonneau. Aftermarket halo headlights with HID, various LED bulb replacements. 17" Fuel Blitz wheels with some 33" Nitto terra grapplers. Hoodscoop, nfab nerfbars, Bushwacker flares. No-name aftermarket grille, led fender extensions. Black Horse bambi-basher. Various offroad lights.
    So what I gather is you want running board light strips, in red, with DRL and turn-signal function? They might exist, but I doubt it, as I think there might be a law about what color your lights can be in relation to position on your vehicle. Not to say that there aren't hundreds of RGB controlled light strips that you could use, but then they wouldn't have the turn signal function.

HarrazH[OP] likes this.
  7. Jun 10, 2021 at 2:01 AM
    Tundra2

Tundra2 Zoinked

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tundra V8 SR5 '03 Corolla Virus
    Why couldn't you get a similar tailgate strip, and wire it in the way you want?

Something like this?
    Amazon.com: Partsam 60" LED Tailgate Light Bar Truck Tail Light LED Strip Red/White Reverse Brake Turn Signal Light Universal Replacement for Pickup Trucks RV SUV: Automotive

You'd need two. One for each side. You could wire both Left, and Right turn signals on the strip into your trucks turn signal for each side so both lights on the strip would come on solid. Reverse lights could be tied into the courtesy light for entry light.

The advert on Amazon even has a "wiring diagram" for you. Simple.

HarrazH[OP] likes this.
  8. Jun 10, 2021 at 2:04 AM
    Tundra2

Tundra2 Zoinked

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    Western Kentucky
    Vehicle:
    '00 Tundra V8 SR5 '03 Corolla Virus
    Or even easier than wiring both turns together, Just wire in the brake light on the strip to your turn signal . D'oh.

9. Jun 10, 2021 at 7:22 AM
    Saltyhero13

Saltyhero13 Throbbing Member

Member:
    Fuel delete mod Cup holder upgrade
    You read the instructions? How dare you show such weakness in front of the council of men! Next offense and we will vote on revoking your "man card".

You must now assemble the system with less parts than provided. :cheers:

Gravy and Tundratoofun like this.
  10. Jun 10, 2021 at 1:01 PM
    Gravy

Member:
    Yucaipa, California
    Vehicle:
    Using two taillight strips would work fine. Probably the best and easiest option really. Twice the price, but far less headache then searching alibaba for hours and hours...

Tundra2[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Jun 11, 2021 at 8:09 AM
    HarrazH

HarrazH [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hany
    Vehicle:
    2019 Platinum Tundra
    That's the plan and thanks for the idea

12. Jun 11, 2021 at 8:10 AM
    HarrazH

HarrazH [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hany
    Vehicle:
    2019 Platinum Tundra

Makes perfect sense, I was under the wrong impression that what I bought had red, now I know!! :(:(:(

13. May 18, 2022 at 3:49 PM
    Ekelleyco

Ekelleyco New Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 blue tundra SR5
    Old thread but wondering if you ever put in those LED sequential turn strips under the running boards. I checked and they are still available on Amazon. Curious how you wired them and how they look? Thanks!

14. May 18, 2022 at 4:23 PM
    tundratoofun

tundratoofun Yall better rednekonize

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Glendale
    Vehicle:
    Beast
    I have had mine for about a year now. I suggest protecting the wire with some loom as I had water infiltration and lost the entry light function. When I wired them I tapped the marker light on the side of the headlight for the solid amber. I tapped the turn signal at the headlight for the turns, and I tapped the cargo lamp wire under the drivers side rear scuff panel for the entry lights
    Edit: i tied the 2 black(entry) wire together. Then extended into the cab with some .14 ga wire thru the grommet in the footwell.

mav7021234 likes this.
  15. May 19, 2022 at 10:52 AM
    Ekelleyco

Ekelleyco New Member

Member:
    CT
    Vehicle:
    2014 blue tundra SR5
    Awesome appreciate the response and advice!!

16. Oct 10, 2022 at 4:27 PM
    mav7021234

mav7021234 New Member

Member:
    Have you ran into the issue with the turn signals only blinking once when your DRL’s are not on?

I have to have my DRL on all time now for my turn signals to function properly.

I have my courtesy wire spliced into cargo light wire.
    Turn signal wire to turn signal wire on headlight harness.
    DRL wire to DRL wire on the turn signal headlight harness.
    And ground wire to body.

To Top