1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rough Country Speedometer Calibrator and Aftermarket Remote Start Issue

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by DanTundra, Sep 17, 2021.

1. Sep 17, 2021 at 7:10 PM
    DanTundra

DanTundra [OP] Danny

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 Ribbon Blue Tundra SR5 4x4
    TRD sway bar, airbag kit, Diamondback HD, LED headlights, Pedal Commander, Bilsteins 6112's up front with shims (2.5 inch lift), 5160s in the rear with CB +2 shackles (1.5 inch lift), Falken Wildpeak AT3W 285/75/18, TRD Pro Grill insert, MattGecko under hood and bed light kit,
    Does anyone have the RC Speedometer calibrator and an aftermarket remote start on their truck? I installed the RC speedometer calibrator and it did its job (actually registering 2 MPH slower than GPS), however, my remote start doesn't work anymore. I have a Compustar alarm/remote start and when I hit the remote start button on the remote the truck tries turning over but never starts. However, the 2 way remote has a signal saying the truck is running and the alarm is going off.

This wasn't happening prior to installing the RC speedometer calibrator and I wasn't close to anything under the dash relating to the alarm system.

I reached out to RC as well as the alarm tech who installed the alarm to see if they have any ideas of possible interference with the systems. I'm going to disconnect the inline speedometer calibrator tomorrow after work to see if that is the issue with the remote start.

However, I wanted to reach out on the forum as well to see if anybody has had this issue?

Thanks!

avssuc likes this.
  2. Sep 18, 2021 at 6:41 AM
    avssuc

avssuc Efilnikufesin

Member:
    Gulf Coast
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra TRD Pro LR
    I have no idea of any sort really, but if I were you, I'd suspect the fill/programming of the RC device. Is there a way you can zero it out and load it with fill again (factory reset, then download Tundra specific info)?

I just had a head unit installed, and they left my Scangauge hooked up to the OBD2, and that's caused all sorts of issues with my HU keeping it's PID's stored correctly. Easy and quick fix, just annoying. A couple users on here helped me out... so hopefully someone comes along with the information you need.

3. Sep 19, 2021 at 6:59 AM
    DanTundra

DanTundra [OP] Danny

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    TRD sway bar, airbag kit, Diamondback HD, LED headlights, Pedal Commander, Bilsteins 6112's up front with shims (2.5 inch lift), 5160s in the rear with CB +2 shackles (1.5 inch lift), Falken Wildpeak AT3W 285/75/18, TRD Pro Grill insert, MattGecko under hood and bed light kit,
    I spoke to a friend that installs car alarms and he thinks the immobilizer unit for the car alarm needs to be re-programmed/check the programming on the remote start system. Going to try to get an appointment with Best Buy this week to have them confirm the programming is correct on the car alarm.

The factory alarm goes off and not the aftermarket alarm. According to Compustar it is just a programming thing that needs to be re-programmed on the alarm's ECU unit.

I'll find out sometime this week, but until then no remote start without waking the neighborhood up!

4. Oct 1, 2021 at 6:15 AM
    DanTundra

DanTundra [OP] Danny

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    Well there is interference between the RC speedometer calibrator and the hardwired Compustar alarm/remote start (2017 installation). We disconnected the RC speed calibrator module and left the T harness connected. Remote start worked perfectly, but dash lit up like a Christmas tree. Plugged RC module back in- remote start had issues again, but no more Christmas tree.

I e-mailed RC support twice already with no reply, and Compustar is willing to have the alarm installer get on the phone with their tech support, but at my dime.

So just a heads up to anybody that has a Compustar remote start and thinking about getting the speedometer calibrator be forewarned!!

5. Oct 8, 2021 at 3:26 PM
    DanTundra

DanTundra [OP] Danny

Member:
    Wilmington, NC
    Vehicle:
    I believe I solved my own issue, and wanted to give everyone an update. I put the key in the ignition so the factory security light stopped blinking on the gauge cluster, unplugged the T harness from RC, and plugged it back in all while the key was in the ignition.

Now, my remote start works perfectly (so far).

Products Discussed in

To Top