1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rough Country 2" Leveling Struts?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Tenderwarriors, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Apr 2, 2021 at 2:36 PM
    Tenderwarriors

Tenderwarriors [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra SR5 TRD 5.7
    Has anyone had experience with the Rough Country 2" Leveling Struts? My local off road guy is really pushing me this direction. Any thoughts?

2. Apr 2, 2021 at 2:46 PM
    Cg13055

Cg13055 @yota.parts.distributor

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    Mcfly Tundra @yota.parts.distributor
    2012’4.0 Tundra-2004’4.7 crewcab-2021 2.7 Tacoma
    RC is okay. don't expect amazing quality or longevity, I have a set of the pre built coil overs and some Bilstein's that will go in in the coming months, I'm not a fan of the 3.5" on my truck. The RC is easier since they come pre-assembled but be aware that they may not last as long depending on your intended use. I would recommend Eibach but a lot of the higher quality stuff is on backorder because of a lot of orders in cali that are having trouble being fulfilled because of part supplier issues.

3. Apr 2, 2021 at 3:08 PM
    Tenderwarriors

Tenderwarriors [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Vehicle:
    2013 Tundra SR5 TRD 5.7
    Thanks! I was concerned about longevity also. I've bought Eibach before and they worked out ok. I'll keep shopping!

Cg13055 likes this.
  4. Apr 2, 2021 at 3:14 PM
    Cg13055

Cg13055 @yota.parts.distributor

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    South Florida
    Vehicle:
    Mcfly Tundra @yota.parts.distributor
    2012’4.0 Tundra-2004’4.7 crewcab-2021 2.7 Tacoma
    I've ran the for around 5 K no issues, 3.5 N3's are just too much for the stock LCA's.

5. Apr 21, 2021 at 6:56 PM
    iloqin

iloqin New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Limited Crew Cab
    Hey, wanted to add to the thread with some relevancy.

My local shop also is a supplier of Rough Country and recommended me to level the truck with Rough Country 2" front Leveling struts (non-adjustable coilover) It'll even the height without touching the rear (great! Less money).

First I'm a dad that wanted to be more practical, so my goal isn't for looks (although if I can convince the wife for a black grill and painted matching corner bumper things that'd be great!) and I've been through the whole scene of spending on cars/trucks and I know it's money dump. I wanted the minimal setup I just wanted to lay that out there as that may explain my reasoning. So no massive lifts.

My intended purpose was to get rid of the nose dive during braking and the bit of "soft floaty/boat-like" feel in the truck. It makes my daughter get car sick. Also the reason why I wanted the rear sway bar. I drive 99% street (and probably snow on the weekends when it comes back).

I brought up Bilsteins and he's obviously familiar with them but stated he didn't like compressing the spring 2" to reach a level height as that'd make the ride harsh vs comfy. Now I know this is all subjective (everyone has a preference) and many on here live by Bilsteins 5100s or 6112s at the 2" height without an issue, but he recommended the Rough Country because all of his employees run Rough Country either on their work/fun trucks (not sure if just the leveling, but likely a bigger setup), and it's the most common install at his shop. He said he learnt that you can't recommend anything unless you've had experience with them, he said he's had them 4+ years no issues, and no issues from customers either; they are happy with them.

Half the price, and I'll have them put in by the end of the month. I called rough country and they said the spring rate is the same, so it should feel the same, but from the reviews I've seen on youtube with these leveling struts installed on other trucks, it eliminates the nosedive and is a tad stiffer, which should work for me.

Then later I can powdercoat my rims all black (standard 18" ones that come on the Limited here in Northern California) and fit 33" KO2s at 40-50k miles. Rough Country recommends tires at 305/65/18, which is 33s and I can pretend to be cool. Haha.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2021
  6. May 1, 2021 at 8:57 AM
    iloqin

iloqin New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Initial thoughts is there is a still more nose dive than I'd like (now it may settle in over time so it could be more manageable); I do understand nosedive will always exist due to weight distribution. If I had to do it again I'd go with the 5100s on a top setting (stronger compression of spring = less nose dive) although it may be a bit harsher of a ride. If you do more offroading than the 6112s for the 5 settings instead of 3 and wider piston (more fluid, stays cooler longer).

Some more info: Both rears are stock at 39.5inches there is about a .25inch rake left on the driver side. The passenger side is even at 39.5inches. Doesn't bug me at all nor did I want to shim anything. Unnoticeable anyways.

Last edited: May 1, 2021
  7. May 1, 2021 at 9:40 AM
    Gungoboom

Gungoboom New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tundra SR5 AC 4x4
    As you said, give them some time to settle. I went with the RC N3 on the suggestion of my local shop as well. I was pretty nervous based on what I read about RC online. I have about 3,000 miles on them now and either I have gotten used to the ride or they have settled in. Either way, I really like the ride now. It feels at least as good, but I think better, than my worn out Bilsteins I replaced.

8. May 1, 2021 at 1:36 PM
    iloqin

iloqin New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ^ Awesome, hope they settle in. I'm not removing them anytime soon, either way I'll stick with it and hope they last forever.

9. May 2, 2021 at 1:49 PM
    Bigkitchens

Bigkitchens New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 1794 crewmax 4x4
    Front and back trd sway bars, 14 inch magnaflow dual in dual out exhaust, undercover bedcover, rough country 2 inch leveling coilovers and rear shocks, 285/60/20 nitto ridge grapplers, wireless charger, driver grab handle, tech12volt 10 inch sub and enclosure upgrade , and stillen cold air intake .
    I just leveled my 2014 1794 tundra, and couldn't be happier. I bought rough country 2 inch n3 leveling coilovers and n3 rear shocks. The truck measures level on all 4 corners. I bought coach builders spacers thinking i would need them, but don't. After a couple of weeks I upgraded the tires from stock 275/55/20 to ridge grapplers 285/60/20. The only rubbing was on the skid plate. I had to bend the side ears for clearance. I couldn't believe how much better it looks. I can't get a good enough picture to do it justice, but here is what I have.

[​IMG]

10. Sep 11, 2021 at 10:50 AM
    J_Den

J_Den New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2019 Attitude Black Tundra TRD OR
    RC 1.75" coilover spacers, 285/75R18 Cooper AT3 XLT on Method 316 wheels in gloss titanium, Retrax pro bed cover, anytime backup camera front/rear camera system, Rough Country DIY Front Bumper, Diode Dynamics 30" light bar + 6" fogs, Victory 4x4 ditch light brackets w/ Diode Dynamics pods, HF Apex 12k winch with synthetic line
    It's all subjective, but having driven Tundras with all these options, I would recommend the Eibach struts and strongly recommend against the 5100s and 6112s - way too harsh for me. I wouldn't hesitate to go with the RC either - they're kind of middle-of-the road as far as comfort and RC has definitely improved their product quality over the last few years.

11. Sep 11, 2021 at 12:16 PM
    iloqin

iloqin New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    ^ Basically hit the nail on the head. I came from a small
    Honda sedan, so I’m used to more of a street feel than being up high and having it more bouncy wavey kind of thing. (Bought the truck so I can move crap without bugging the neighbor for big items) The rough country again to me is soft as the off-road bilsteins that come with the TRD-Offroad package. So the 5100s/6112s could feel better for me, although jarring for others. There was another thread I was in talking about with stiffening the suspension and maybe down the line I’ll opt for the bilsteins and crank the springs down so I get more rigidity. My truck is like 99% street. And my wife thinks it’s high off the ground even even with the sidesteps. So who knows, I may end up slamming the truck as a couple of other guys have done here (not like crazy slam, but to make the gaps look even from top and side of tires with a 2” 4” (in total would be 4” 4” because right now the front is levelled up 2”).

12. Sep 11, 2021 at 1:00 PM
    Bigkitchens

Bigkitchens New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2014 1794 crewmax 4x4
    Front and back trd sway bars, 14 inch magnaflow dual in dual out exhaust, undercover bedcover, rough country 2 inch leveling coilovers and rear shocks, 285/60/20 nitto ridge grapplers, wireless charger, driver grab handle, tech12volt 10 inch sub and enclosure upgrade , and stillen cold air intake .
    I it's been good . it does have the tundra lean on the driver side. I need to put a coachbuilders shim on the driver side and raise it up a half an inch. I have it, just haven't had a chance to install.

Products Discussed in

To Top