1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rock lights puddle lights and interior accent lights.

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by Salamander, Feb 4, 2019.

1. Feb 4, 2019 at 7:39 PM
    Salamander

Salamander [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota tundra crew-max SR5 TSS
    2x100w subs, monoblock amp, fender flares, Aroeskin bug guard and vent visors. More to come.
    20190126_185835.jpg 2016 Toyota Tundra Crewmax TSS

I have 8 interior lights 8 running board lights and 6 rock lights.
    What I am wanting to do is not only have the running board and rock lights to come on when I unlock the truck but also want to have them flash for there respective blinker is engaged. I also would like to have the interior accent lights to come on with the rest of the interior lights but also able to toggle them with a switch and also would like to be able to turn all the accent/rock and running board lights to come one with a single switch for show time.

I know the means is there but I just can't work out the logic without energizing the whole circuit when I toggle the switches.
    I am kinda simple so any crayon drawings and locations of tap wires would be helpful.

Blue lights are what it needs.

2. Feb 5, 2019 at 5:32 PM
    Salamander

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    2x100w subs, monoblock amp, fender flares, Aroeskin bug guard and vent visors. More to come.
    Ok so this is my rough idea of how I 20190205_192802.jpg can wire it up. Can someone check my homework for me?

20190205_192802.jpg

3. Feb 5, 2019 at 5:40 PM
    fisherman951

fisherman951 MT dreams

Member:
    First Name:
    Tony
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    2017 crewmax 4x4
    So u want all those lights to work as turn signals also? Not sure what state your from but might not be legal especially if they are different colors

Stormtrooper81 likes this.
  4. Feb 6, 2019 at 7:56 AM
    Salamander

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    I checked texas and there is no law against lights except that they are not red and viewable to the front. and yes I want the puddle and rock lights to function as blinkers also blue light

5. Feb 7, 2019 at 3:26 PM
    Fundras

Fundras New Member

Member:
    My thoughts on your rock lights, I would use relays, mostly because I don't like diodes. Plus a 5-way relay can be used as an off switch to control the unlock lighting and completely eliminate the chance of backfeeding from side to side, from the the turn signals, and from the unlock trigger light. Plus all of the relays could be put under the hood and most of your wiring would happen under the hood as well. It looks a bit complicated but it would make it very simple and easy to modify if you needed to later. You could even add wiring to make the turn signals work with the rock lights on.IMG_20190207_152002555.jpg

Last edited: Feb 7, 2019
  6. Feb 7, 2019 at 9:22 PM
    Fundras

Fundras New Member

Member:
    I realized that the last sentence makes no sense. Clarification: you could make the rock lights work as turn signals even when they are on and you're using them as rock lights. The stock signals would always work.

7. Feb 8, 2019 at 11:19 AM
    Salamander

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Vehicle:
    ok, I see what you're doing here. you are causing the relay to trigger the pulse on the circuit when the blinker is engaged.
    Currently, I have the diodes and have held on the blinker mod because I did not want to use load resistors. but you have provided an elegant solution to what I want to accomplish.
    For the internal circuit (floor board lights) just numbering the relays from left to right I would tap the 87A leg on relay 1? That's if my logic is working. That way it hits the switch and the dome/unlock trigger?

8. Feb 8, 2019 at 2:15 PM
    Fundras

Fundras New Member

Member:
    I just noticed a small flaw. I am creating a better diagram that will eliminate the flaw. I'm also making a few current flow diagrams so that the operation will make more sense.

9. Feb 8, 2019 at 3:36 PM
    Fundras

Fundras New Member

Member:
    So here is the basic idea. I can see a few issues with it which I will address later.

This is the basic diagram:

Wiring 1.jpg

Heres the power flow when you unlock the truck:

Wiring 2.jpg

Here's with the ignition on and the left turn signal (or right) active:

Wiring 3.jpg

Heres the ignition on and the rock light switch on:

Wiring 4.jpg

Heres what I would address if I had more time to think about it:

1. This wiring setup will only allow you to use the rock lights when the ignition is on. It can be adjusted to work with the ignition off but a diode or relay will need to be added to the wire coming from your unlock trigger to prevent backfeeding.

2. With this setup, whatever you use to trigger the lights when you unlock the truck has the ability to turn on the rock lights when the ignition is off. This seems like a "yeah that's the idea" kinda thing, but if your sitting in the parking lot with the truck off and you turn on your dome light to read something your rock lights will come on. Now I'm not exactly understanding what you want to do with your interior lights or what you mean by "one switch to power them all (unashamed Lord of the Rings joke)" but you could use this flaw to your advantage.

I'm sure there is someone out there who could do this much simpler than this and if I had enough time I could probably trim it down. But either way, the idea is headed in the right direction and you can adjust to fit what you want to do.

Attached Files:

10. Feb 9, 2019 at 12:46 PM
    Fundras

Fundras New Member

Member:
    Easier solution using diodes:

Wiring 5.jpg

Products Discussed in

To Top