1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

RLD Design Cap - Ordered!

Discussion in 'Tonneau Covers, Caps and Shells' started by W3agle, May 25, 2021.

1. May 25, 2021 at 6:34 AM
    W3agle

W3agle [OP] New Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 White Tundra SR5 TRD Off-Road
    https://www.rlddesignusa.com/truck-caps-canopies/

Yesterday I put down a deposit on an RLD Cap/shell. Primary factors that went into my decision:
    1) wanted a cap made of steel for the looks and durability. I’d like to be able to just hop up there and hang out if I want to.
    2) RLD assured me their lead time was much better than their competitors. I have been quoted 7-9 months from my local vendors on RSI smart caps. RLD thinks they can do it in 3-4. Cited material supply issues with RSI. Supposedly they use a different steel supplier.
    3) Construction method - RLD is all fabricated from the vendor and a full shell is sent out. This has some downsides regarding potentially long term flexibility in terms of swapping out components. But the upside is that it comes out of the factory with full QC ready to go. No concern about shipping, damage during install, or fit-up of parts. Maybe a wash overall on this point.
    4) Overall fit on the bed/cab. I’m kind of guessing here. There aren’t a ton of photos on a tundra double cab. But I do like what I’ve seen. And I haven’t been completely sold on the fit of the RSI, so I decided to roll the dice.

My order was pretty simple. Black frame with white doors. Windows with sliders. That’s it.

One thing that’s kind of odd... naturally I had to put down a deposit. 60%. The salesman kept repeating, “ok you’re not going to hear anything from us for a while...” which I took to mean “we’re working on it don’t worry it will be done when it’s done”

*edit* called back and confirmed that the lack of receipt was just an IT hiccup. I have a receipt now. Can ignore the below.

But I still don’t have a receipt for my deposit. That’s the troubling part. I’m going to call back today and ask for some paperwork. Assuming they can’t provide any proof of deposit I’m really feeling like the responsible thing to do is work on backing out of this, either through RLD or my bank/CC. Am I being overly cautious? They seem like a real legit company, so it’s shocking they would take thousands of dollars And not expect to owe a receipt.

Last edited: May 28, 2021
    AggiePhil likes this.
  2. May 28, 2021 at 11:21 AM
    Tundra18overland

Tundra18overland Traversing the million mile road

Member:
    First Name:
    Jesse
    GA
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 CM Expedition Build
    What did the total cost come to? I priced out ARE, came to like $3500...

COTundra23 likes this.
  3. May 28, 2021 at 1:29 PM
    W3agle

W3agle [OP] New Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Ugh I don’t want to talk about it. Lol. Shipped it came out around $4300 I think.

4. May 28, 2021 at 2:03 PM
    newemi

newemi New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra CM Ltd CB
    Receipt should be provided, or at least some contract document needs to be there.

Anyone know if there are any carpet or insulation kits for rld or rsi? I love both but insulation is a major concern as our primary transport is three dogs (in ruff land kennels). Being in SoCal, gotta do everything we can to keep them cool.

W3agle[OP] likes this.
  5. May 28, 2021 at 2:50 PM
    W3agle

W3agle [OP] New Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    They did eventually get me a receipt after I called and asked.

I bought the doors with slider windows so I could get some venting action. I don’t think there’s much else you can do for the pups short of modding it for a max air roof fan or something lol. I know insulating the interior helps a bit, but the space is so small I think you’re talking about just increasing the duration it takes to equilibrate with the ambient air. And insulation is probably only going to give you an extra 30 minutes to an hour I’m afraid.
    Hello from SoCal!!

6. Jun 8, 2021 at 10:14 AM
    Flyelk1

Flyelk1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tundra SR5
    Hi W3, yes this is my first post, but I felt compelled to post my current experience with this subject, just so you are fully informed.

I drive the exact same truck, and have ordered the exact same RLD canopy that you have detailed. Down to the color and even the window selection.

I placed my order on January 4, 2021, with the same time frames quoted to me as it appears that you were quoted. As of today (6-8-21) I am still waiting, and it looks like I will not even see it in the US until mid August. That puts it at least eight months lead time for these things.

That said, I am very anxious to get it, however, I ordered it with the time frames quoted in mind (even with a month extra planned in mind) so I could have it for a big trip I have coming next week. That is obviously not going to happen and I have made alternative arrangements for our trip which isn’t a huge deal as alternative plans and kind of “rolling with it” is part of the fun.

However, my only frustration with this whole process is that if they would have said “hey, it could be eight months” then I would have adjusted my time from the beginning, and ordered it sooner than I did. Don’t tell me 3-4 months when that couldn’t be further from the truth.

Lastly, I thought maybe it was just me and bad luck, timing wise. However, the last three RLD orders to this dealer (which is all they have ordered) have all had about 7-10 month wait times.

I just thought you should be aware for your order. Also, you can track them via GPS points as they make their way to the US. Mine is currently in the middle
    of the Indian Ocean... Ugh!

W3agle[OP] and AggiePhil like this.
  7. Jun 8, 2021 at 10:33 AM
    AggiePhil

AggiePhil Texas Chapter President

Member:
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    2020 Smoked Mesquite Platinum 4x4
    Ordered mine from RLD Design USA/AdventureMobile 05/12/2021. Was quoted 3 months.

W3agle[OP] likes this.
  8. Jun 8, 2021 at 1:06 PM
    W3agle

W3agle [OP] New Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Ugh. Good to know. That was a big factor in selecting them vs RSI. Hope I don’t regret it.

9. Jun 8, 2021 at 1:10 PM
    AggiePhil

Member:
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    The overseas shipping industry is so screwed up right now that I won't be surprised if we don't see our canopies till the end of the year. Not happy, but not surprised either.

W3agle[OP] likes this.
  10. Jun 8, 2021 at 1:15 PM
    W3agle

W3agle [OP] New Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    I ordered mine on 5/25. Based on @Flyelk1 ’s experience, I would be surprised if we got it by the end of the year.

I’m definitely experiencing some buyers remorse. They really sold me hard on their supply chain and how they aren’t experiencing the same issues as RSI.

Plus they required a 60% deposit. My local dealer was going to get me in line for an RSI for only $500. It’s a little crazy to require 60%, quote 3-4 months, all when they know they are currently experiencing 7-8 month production times.

Kind of tempted to reach out to them about cancelling based on their intentional misleading regarding production and shipping times. I get it, it’s a crazy world right now. But don’t tell me 3-4 months when you know orders are taking 7-8.

11. Jun 8, 2021 at 1:49 PM
    AggiePhil

Member:
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    Hey, I went ahead and paid for the whole damn thing. lol. Bank account definitely took a hit but I did my research ahead of time and this is the canopy I want. Sad thing is, I may want a different truck by the time this thing gets here!

All joking aside, I spent $200 on a Tyger brand soft tonneau cover and it's doing a great job of keeping the bed dry until the RLD gets here.

12. Jun 11, 2021 at 8:57 AM
    Mike's Custom Toys

Mike's Custom Toys New Member

Member:
    Just a little insight. As a dealer for both I can tell you its been tough. First the supply chain comment is not entirely accurate. If anything RLD does a better job of actually selling you a cap that really exists but may take time to ship here. Larger caps are special order because of their size so when placing an order for Tundra cap the dealer pays for the whole cap plus shipping at that time. RSI is importing caps as fast as they can make them but have allowed the distribution chain to continue to take backorders not knowing when they will be filled. While sitting on 100's of commercial domestic truck caps that are not selling. So Rsi really missed the mark on what would be their more desired product. RSI Is actually opening a manufacturing plant in Texas to feed the US market, however when it will be operational I am not sure. With all the coming price increases across the board I say keep you order, if anything you can make money selling it when it shows up. My RLD short bed Tacoma caps came fast, 2-3 months. My long beg Tacoma cap arriving today was just under 4 months. The issue might be more with your dealer than RLD. Let me know if we can help.

AggiePhil likes this.
  13. Jun 11, 2021 at 5:38 PM
    Flyelk1

Flyelk1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tundra SR5
    Thanks for the insight and the thought did cross my mind that maybe the dealer dropped the ball somehow. That idea prompted me to call another dealer in another state that is a well known dealer for RLD. He was able to look up my order, and verify the info. They also stated that most wait times are substantially longer than the three months quoted. They detailed that sometimes RLD may get it to the port and it could sit for an extended time at the port just waiting in a container.

Who knows. I understand some of the inconsistency in shipping, but again, if not one of the orders has hit the 90 day mark, don’t quote it to me. Tell me straight so I can order being fully informed. I don’t think that is too much to ask for a 3k plus purchase.

AggiePhil, W3agle[OP] and Matala like this.
  14. Jul 27, 2021 at 5:43 PM
    Flyelk1

Flyelk1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tundra SR5
    Just to bump this up and keep those interested updated on my RLD canopy saga.

I last updated on June 11th. As of today, no RLD yet. Still waiting. The gps points stopped updating early this month with the last point being recorded in the Shanghai, China port.

I received a call from the local shop stating the GPS was incorrect and not responding. I was told the canopy should be to the U.S port late this week or early next week. I cautiously thanked him but stated I wouldn’t hold my breath.

To their credit, they have knocked the remaining balance down a little to provide a measure of customer service and I do appreciate that aspect. Doesn’t change the fact that this is beyond frustrating, however.

The wait continues.

AggiePhil and W3agle[OP] like this.
  15. Jul 28, 2021 at 2:17 PM
    W3agle

W3agle [OP] New Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Dang. Thanks for the update. It’s kind of depressing. The longer I wait the more I wish I would have just ordered a GFC or something similar. I didn’t go that route almost exclusively because of the wait time.

16. Aug 12, 2021 at 1:26 PM
    W3agle

W3agle [OP] New Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Spoke with Tom recently. My cap is on the water. ~5 weeks away! Much earlier than anticipated.

17. Aug 13, 2021 at 8:19 AM
    Flyelk1

Flyelk1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tundra SR5
    That is great to hear. Hopefully this is a more consistent trend than my situation.

18. Sep 15, 2021 at 3:00 PM
    Flyelk1

Flyelk1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tundra SR5
    Hey W3, just wondering if your canopy is still on schedule? You mentioned about five weeks out almost five weeks ago. If so, I would love to see pics as I ordered the same canopy as you.

As an update on mine, still sitting at Shanghai port….. ARRRGHHHH!!

W3agle[OP] likes this.
  19. Sep 15, 2021 at 3:14 PM
    W3agle

W3agle [OP] New Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    You and me both! I reached to Tom this week on the exact same question. Idk how much you’ve talked to them, but they don’t like to say much! Haha. The only time I’ve been able to get information is when I give them very specific things to address.
    For example, the 5 week lead time was provided when I asked if I could modify something about my order.
    Last week I asked if they would follow up with an expected delivery date because I travel often for work and need to make sure I’m home. They just gave me a “Yes we’ll tell you when it is planned to arrive.”
    This week I said “Hey 5 weeks ago y’all told me it would be here this week. Nbd if not, I know the world is crazy. But I’m about to be out of town for a couple of weeks and if it’s scheduled to arrive we need to talk about alternate arrangements.” He replied that ‘if it does show up in the next two weeks they’ll hold it at their facility until I return home’.

I’ve gone from high hopes that this is delivered before my Moab trip in mid-October back to hoping it shows up this year.

Tundra18overland and AggiePhil like this.
  20. Sep 22, 2021 at 11:35 AM
    Flyelk1

Flyelk1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tundra SR5
    Damn!, that’s frustrating. After months in China, mine is finally on the move. Last spot put it passing Japan. So that is a piece of good news in my saga.

I have only ever spoken to Tom one time, very early on in this deal. However, I spoke to a co-worker of his just over a week ago as Tom was traveling. He was very helpful. He actually read me some notes Tom had made before he left regarding the most recent shipping updates, specifically addressing the container my canopy is in as it had been stuck in China.

That info. was very helpful to me and the info. turned out to be accurate as the container moved on the date they had provided to me.

Although the progress is glacial, it is progress, and that is a glimmer of hope for me.

I’m just trying to stay positive on this and hopeful I have it for a trip I have planned in November. We’ll see.

Hang in there W3, it will happen.

21. Sep 29, 2021 at 7:53 PM
    fundra_goes_west

fundra_goes_west I’m just a guy with a girl

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2022 SQ8
    I have mine used for sale if anyone is still waiting and in CO. Comes with a rack on top too if interested.

22. Sep 29, 2021 at 8:03 PM
    AggiePhil

Member:
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    I’m curious as to why any of them would be in China. Mine currently shows to be in Panama.

4805D11C-85A2-4FD0-A555-601B55FC2D9E.jpg

23. Sep 30, 2021 at 6:06 AM
    Flyelk1

Flyelk1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tundra SR5
    According to Adventure Ready, they have containers all over the globe as they try to find the most efficient route in this crazy supply chain madness. Looking at your map, it’s interesting that mine went the other way around.

As of this morning, mine shows it is off the coast of Washington.

Fundra, why are you selling? Just curious.

24. Sep 30, 2021 at 6:10 AM
    fundra_goes_west

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2022 SQ8
    First off I love my RLD, but as our travel lengthens and conditions vary more we need inside space and a heater so I’m going with the Alucabin.
    I’ve eyeballed the FWC but the weight is just a non starter for me on the tundra.

25. Sep 30, 2021 at 7:46 AM
    Flyelk1

Flyelk1 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Vehicle:
    2016 Toyota Tundra SR5
    Great choice. After news of the cabin broke last week, I considered the same but want to see how distribution goes. Do you know the weight of a fully kitted one, including the stove? I couldn’t find a weight on any of the sites I researched.

26. Oct 7, 2021 at 7:53 AM
    AggiePhil

Member:
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    This is getting ridiculous. Ordered the cap on May 12. Originally supposed to get here in August or September. Now the ETA has been pushed back to November 9.

27. Oct 7, 2021 at 8:17 AM
    W3agle

W3agle [OP] New Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Was able to have a candid conversation with someone at adventuremobile/RLD via email earlier this week. I ordered in May as well. Initial estimate put my delivery in August with the caveat that “we really have no idea how long it’s going to take.”
    My cap has been hanging out in the Panama Canal for a while now. Guess it may have gotten caught up in some of the Canal issues of late.
    It has to get out of the canal and all the way up to Seattle. Then some things happen and it ultimately comes back to me in SoCal.

This excerpt from the conversation:
    “Sounds like I shouldn’t be expecting it for quite a while.”
    “That is correct, [apologies].”

As much as I want to be annoyed and complain, it really is just the state of the world now. I’m
    Happy I ordered when I did. Things don’t seem to be improving.

The timing is super lame though. I had two big trips scheduled in September and October kind of on the assumption it would be here by then. I’ve seen some great deals come and go and Craigslist as I’ve been waiting. Honestly knowing what I know now I would not have ordered through these guys. I’m sure it’s technically possible to cancel but I’m still hopeful it proves to be worth it.

Or I could talk to @fundra_goes_west and make a little trip to Colorado… what color is your cap? Haha

AggiePhil[QUOTED] likes this.
  28. Oct 7, 2021 at 10:22 AM
    fundra_goes_west

Member:
    First Name:
    Evan
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2022 SQ8
    It is black with an Uptop rack already mounted. So it’s ready to go :)

29. Oct 7, 2021 at 10:28 AM
    AggiePhil

Member:
    College Station, TX
    Vehicle:
    Sounds like ours may be on the same ship. Mine last pinged at 6.9723° N 80.7404° W (today).

W3agle[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  30. Oct 7, 2021 at 10:29 AM
    W3agle

W3agle [OP] New Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    Yep - exact coordinates here.

AggiePhil[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top