1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rinse less/Waterless wash thread

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by WarEagleSteve, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Sep 22, 2016 at 12:18 PM
    WarEagleSteve

WarEagleSteve [OP] Getting out of Jersey!

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    N.J.
    Vehicle:
    2015 White Tundra Crew Max SR5/Off Road
    Hi all,

I figured this would come up sooner or later so, over a couple postings, I'll go into what these techniques are.
    So to start out, we'll take a look at some definitions, as used from the Auto Detailing Guide at Detailed Image...http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-Detailing-Guide/Dictionary/#letter-U

Washing- The cleaning of the vehicle's exterior in order to prep it for the following steps, usually the decontamination step.
    Waterless Wash- A product with a high concentration of polymers designed to quickly emulsify and encapsulate dirt and grime for safe removal with minimal water usage.

Now they didn't have a definition for a Rinseless Wash, which is sometimes interchanged with Waterless Wash, but this method uses 1 -2 buckets, microfiber towels for washing, drying towels, a solution, and water for your buckets. No water is needed for rinsing.

There are some great benefits to doing this type of wash some of those being,
    1. Very little water needed
    2. For those living in apartments, townhouse, and condos
    3. Those living in communities where using a traditional wash of soap and water are not allowed.
    4. Drought restrictions
    5. Cold weather where using a hose is not feasible.
    6. Better for the environment, little to no runoff.
    7. Saves time
    8. Whatever else you can think of...:D

Waterless Wash can be done with a spray bottle of premixed water solution and it is directly sprayed on to the vehicle and a good quality microfiber towel to absorb/clean/buff the surface. For those who use quick retailers this will remind you of that but, so I have read, the waterless wash will give you more lubricating capabilities. Some products offer an additional agent that will actually provide some protection, like a wax like or sealant. Some do not but will leave the surface slick regardless.
    Here is one of my favorite products to use...

image.jpg

The Ultimate line is now going to offer a second product, the one on your right, that now has an acrylic agent in it to add some protection.

Now the great debate, when is my vehicle TOO dirty for this type of wash? This is where common sense come in. What I can tell you is that in the winter months here in N.J., I will go to my local self serve car wash bay and utilize the pressure washer and water only. This removes the heavy stuff and then I can go back to my warm garage and begin the process. If at all in doubt, then don't do it. Improper wash techniques can and will induce swirls and scratches.

In my next post, I'll go into the process of a Rinseless wash, products, steps, and so forth.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
  2. Sep 22, 2016 at 5:36 PM
    WarEagleSteve

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    N.J.
    Vehicle:
    Ok, so for actually doing the Rinseless Wash. I had received a free test sample of Ultima'sWaterless wash with Acrylic added in. For this post, I had completed my Tundra and had the thought afterwards to do this so I did the next vehicle up. This is our 2000 Honda CRV with 220,000 miles on it. It was about due for another layer of sealant so I figured I would kill 2 birds with one stone.
    image.jpg
    I then set up my one bucket and 4 Everest Microfiber towels. The directions call for 2 ounces of UWWA to 3 gallons of water. A quick swirl and then dump the towels right into the solution and allow to soak for a few minutes.
    image.jpg image.jpg

Some folks will use 1 towel and either resoak it in the solution or have a second bucket of just water to rinse it. I have found this way better so as to reduce the chances of introducing debris that could swirl and scratch your paint.
    While the towels are soaking, I'll make a spray bottle of solution. As per directions, add 1 ounce of solution to 22 ounces of water. Another method would simply be take the solution water from the bucket and add it to the spray bottle.
    Next, while the vehicle is cool I spray some solution from the bottle onto the vehicle. I then grab a towel out of the bucket, fold it into fours, and then wipe down the surface. I initially didn't think the hood was as dirty as it was but...

image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

I then flip the towel, unfold and resold using a clean side, and redid the hood. I then followed up by using a waffle weave drying m.f. towel to dry the section I just cleaned.

I'll conclude in my next post.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2016
    757TUNDRA likes this.
  3. Sep 22, 2016 at 6:07 PM
    WarEagleSteve

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    N.J.
    Vehicle:
    After competing the hood, I moved to the roof, windows, sides,and finally the wheels. Keep in mind as you move on to a section, you want to expose a clean side of the solution soaked towel. By folding the towel into fours, you will have plenty to work with. One the towel is completely used, I place the towel into a bucket with some All Purpose Cleaner and water.
    After cleaning each section, follow up with a drying towel before moving on to the next section. Also when doing your wheels, have towels dedicated to the wheels only. Repeat the section if needed.
    When I was completed here is what I had...
    image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

My truck after doing a Rinseless wash...
    image.jpg image.jpg

So to wrap up, as you research this and watch videos, you will see different people use wash mitts, 1 towel, 1 bucket, 2 buckets, etc... I have found this way to be my favorite. I like using multiple towels and 1 bucket. Once a side is used, I don't use again.
    There will be times when a good old fashion soap was is needed over this method but this method is fast and easy.
    There are a different companies that offer their brand of solution so find the one that meets your needs. I have tried a few different ones and I have found Ultima to be my favorite.

Thanks for looking!

4. Sep 22, 2016 at 6:18 PM
    TNTundra08

TNTundra08 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Blake
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC 4x4
    3/1 lift. 20x9 Method standards, machine face. 305/55/20 nitto trail grapplers
    i think you just saved my life... I HAAAAATE washing this truck, haha, there is so much to it and after washing and drying (i wash a panel, rinse it and my mit, continue. usually using two or three buckets to get debris out. Then drying that big mofo). I would do this once or twice a week just to maintain cleanliness since its not as difficult to dry and wash. Just so happens i washed it this morning, i wanna go to the auto parts store and get some of those dusters to clean the inside of my dog's hair (a never ending job), if they have this stuff there im buying it and starting this next week.

Also, awesome write up, very detailed :thumbsup::thumbsup:

WarEagleSteve likes this.
  5. Sep 22, 2016 at 6:22 PM
    WarEagleSteve

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    N.J.
    Vehicle:
    Btw, I tried getting the leaves off the driveway but it's that time of year. I was fighting a loosing battle...lol

6. Sep 23, 2016 at 1:10 AM
    driverdog

driverdog New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    Virginia Beach
    Vehicle:
    2015 Inferno pro
    Nerf step bars spray in bed liners window tint integrated brake controller
    Steve,

I always wondered about these products and how to apply them. Nice write up!

Vehicles look great!

Thanks,

WarEagleSteve likes this.
To Top