1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Rims are dirty

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by T-Guy69, Feb 9, 2023.

1. Feb 9, 2023 at 8:01 AM
    T-Guy69

T-Guy69 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    Black 2020 Tundra SR5
    OK, these are not my Tundra rims. They are on my street and road race car.

The last HPDE left some black residue. I used a wheel cleaner (Sonic) that was non-acid.

Anyway, I sprayed, scrubbed and they are better but far from good.
    Rim Before.jpg
    What do the experts recommend? Polishing compound? Rouge? Other?

Rim after.jpg

2. Feb 9, 2023 at 1:33 PM
    T-Guy69

T-Guy69 [OP] New Member

Member:
    Long Island
    Vehicle:
    Black 2020 Tundra SR5
    Went to Advanced Auto parts. The kid said he recommeded Adams.
    Giving it a try tomorrow. Still may have to use a Rouge and buffing wheel.

Mitch09 likes this.
  3. Feb 15, 2023 at 4:47 PM
    Ace96

Ace96 New Member

Member:
    Western KY
    Vehicle:
    2021 Voodoo Blue TRD Sport
    What is the finish on the wheel? Is some of that putting? I would recommend Iron-x. Adam’s has a similar product but do not recall the name.

4. Feb 15, 2023 at 6:22 PM
    Ponderosa_Pine

Ponderosa_Pine

Member:
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra
    It’s nasty stuff but I used oven cleaner on aluminum wheels I was redoing, you don’t want to leave it on long but it will remove the build up in minutes of work and strip down to bare metal. I used a nonmetal scotch pad as well. I refinished them with acetone/primer/paint/clear coat. This technique would work well on unpainted aluminum wheels. Wear a respirator lol.

5. Mar 2, 2023 at 8:23 AM
    Tun&Dun06

Tun&Dun06 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra XSP
    Just taking a shot here to see if you might be able to lend some advice. I have a set of 20" Enkei wheels that came on my 2006 XSP that I just bought about a month ago. I love the wheels, but the previous owner evidently painted them at some point and the paint is peeling and starting to show the primer coat. I'm about to buy new tires for this truck and would like to have the wheels refinished before putting on the new tires. I don't have the time or wherewithal for doing this myself so am looking to have a local company refinish them for me. My question is, what would I be looking at cost-wise to have these wheels professionally refinished? Also, is it even possible in terms of stripping the paint and primer, refinishing; in other words could they turn out ok? The wheels are in great shape physically, just cosmetically they need a makeover. Thanks in advance

6. Mar 2, 2023 at 6:13 PM
    Ponderosa_Pine

Ponderosa_Pine

Member:
    Northwest
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra
    Do you have different wheels to use while they get worked on? You’d want to remove the tires first, likely at a discount tire or similar, removing them yourself is tough. Then your main two options are a powder coater or a wheel refinishing place. Both of those seem to run in 100-250$ a wheel range depending on where you live and what you want. They put the whee in a acid bath and remove any paint/etc. down to bare aluminum. The stripping process is quick for them and is part of their pricing. Likely takes a week or more timing wise.

7. Mar 3, 2023 at 5:20 AM
    Tun&Dun06

Tun&Dun06 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Tundra XSP
    Yes that's the other side of this equation I'm still trying to navigate; what to do with my truck while wheels are being refinished. I do not have an additional set of wheels and tires so that throws another wrinkle into it. I've considered just opting for some other OEM wheels because there are alot of good ones out there that I think would look great. My hang up is that these Enkei's that came on the truck are really what drew me to it from the start. I just love the look. Thank you for getting back to me. There are a couple of local places that deal in powder-coating. Perhaps I should stop in at one and see what they say.

Products Discussed in

To Top