1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Review of 2014 Tundra SR 4wd 4.6 85k miles

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by Tifford, Mar 16, 2019.

1. Mar 16, 2019 at 7:43 AM
    Tifford

Tifford [OP] New Member

Member:
    Central New York
    Vehicle:
    2024 Tundra Double Cab (stock for now)
    I love my truck overall. I've had it since it was new.

Engine.
    What can I say, it starts, it runs, it does what it's suppose to do. I have the 4.6. I would have gotten the 5.7 but the dealer wanted to much for it with the same options that I have with my 4.6. It does not burn oil. It does not leak oil. The most I do with it is pull a stout double axle trailer with a 2,200 pound car on top of it. It does it without any problem. I pulled a friends corvette with it from TX to NY during a hot summer with no issues and it did a fine job I might add. So the 4.6 is plenty for me. I have also carried about 2 ton of rock in the bed which is way more than I should have but the suspension handled it well and the truck didn't squat to low.

Transmission. Smooth automatic transmission. It has 85,000 miles on it with no issues at all. It's strong.

Electronics. Everything works except for coming out of 4wd to 2wd. Not sure if this is electronic or mechanical in nature. If I make a hard left or right turn it then will go back into 2wd. Windows all work, fans all work, wipers work, all lights work fine.

Ride
    This is a truck and a stout 1/2 ton at that. If you want a cloud ride you should buy a 70 buick. Seriously, John Boy on Waltons mountain would have thought he had died and gone to heaven. The ride is fine and the seats are comfortable with plenty of room for my 6 foot 230 pound self.

MPG
    It's all in how you drive it. If you want 30mpg get behind a Swift truck on a flat super slab. Others will get around 17.

Maintenance
    I've done oil changes and a serp belt. When I first got the truck it lost about half power on the interstate. It was covered under warranty and I have had no issues since.

Fit and finish
    Excellent. The driver side door handle will sometimes stick out when I open the door but that's the only thing I can fault with it.

Overall
    I love this truck for its reliability. I live by myself, far away from any family and a don't keep many, if any, friends. I need to get to and from my job in an area that gets over 200 inches of snow in a winter. The high ground clearance is a HUGE plus for me for going in deep snow. This truck is like insurance that protects my job which protects everything else and keeps the bills paid.

I would not hesitate to buy this truck again. Excellent product by Toyota.

1engineer and gosolo like this.
  2. Mar 16, 2019 at 7:54 AM
    gosolo

gosolo You Don’t Know Who I Am But I Know Where You Live

Member:
    First Name:
    Ray
    NW Oregon
    Vehicle:
    2015 DC Super Fine Super White Pro
    2"CB shackles, bushings and 1 shim, lockerdown console vault, rear folding seat back mod, snugtop shell with opening side windows, 46g fuel tank, SDHQ sliders and hidden winch, Decked Drawers, Alcan leaf springs and got rid of the interior chrome
    Nice review. Sounds like a solid truck. So, also, is mine.
    What about posting up some pictures for us?

3. Mar 16, 2019 at 8:06 AM
    Tifford

Tifford [OP] New Member

Member:
    Central New York
    Vehicle:
    2024 Tundra Double Cab (stock for now)
    I will try soon. Getting overy the flu right now and covered in blankets.

Products Discussed in

To Top