1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Review - Gator SRX Tonneau on my '22

Discussion in '3rd Gen Tundras (2022+)' started by Troa, Jun 6, 2022.

1. Jun 6, 2022 at 11:40 AM
    Troa

Troa [OP] I blue it again.......

Member:
    Nomad
    Vehicle:
    2022 Blueprint Limited
    Living in the PNW, having something to keep water out of the bed is a must. One trip to Costco in the rain and struggling to load everything onto the tiny backseat of my DC was enough. I ultimately want a full fiberglass canopy, but I want to wait to see a few brands roll them out so I can decide on which to get without going in completely blind. In the meantime I needed something cheap and easy to use.

Enter the Gator SRX. $300 shipped directly from Gator - HERE

This is the cheapest rolling tonneau model Gator makes, but for some reason it's pretty much equivalent to Truxedo's LoPro, which is their $550 mid-tier model. The only real difference I could find between the 2 is that the SRX has a manual tension adjustment while the LoPro's is automatic. Both sit inside the bed rails and stick up only about 3/4". Auto tensioning alone is not worth almost twice the price to me so the Gator is the clear winner here.

Truxedo's cheap model (Truxport) is 1.5" high, sits over the bed rails, and is $50 more than the SRX. Gator's equivalent to the Truxport (SR1 Pro) is actually $30-40 more than the SRX. Not sure why or how this is the case, but this means the SRX is obviously the best value of the 4 I've mentioned. Everything I read said the lower profile ones are the way to go. They tend to be more water tight, look better, and retain use of the bed rails.

Install was super easy. I did it in a thunderstorm with some light rain in about 20 minutes. I clamped the rails down in the lower setting to keep the velcro rails parallel to the bed rails. This put the clamps about half way down the clamping area.

My only real gripe with the cover is the foam "plug" they gave to seal the gap on the front of the bulkhead doesn't go into the gap or seat very well. There is also a large gap at the front of the rail on either side (See photos). I will probably pull the foam plug and fill both gaps with some black silicon. That should seal everything up nice and tight.

Overall I'm very pleased with the cover for the price. I should be able to run it a few months until I get a canopy, then sell it for $150-200 and recoup most of the cost.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2022
    bballjames and MTRock like this.
  2. Jun 6, 2022 at 12:09 PM
    hivetyrant

hivetyrant New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Limited Tundra
    Completely agree with all your points, especially the foam plugs they include for the 22.

So far I'm very impressed for the price.

Troa[OP] likes this.
  3. Jun 7, 2022 at 7:57 AM
    krashr

krashr New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra SR5
    Can you still fit the OEM Deck rail clamps in if you have them in place before you put the tonneau cover on?

4. Jun 7, 2022 at 8:24 AM
    hivetyrant

hivetyrant New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Limited Tundra
    Do you mean the tie down cleats?

I had to take one out to put in the tonneau clamps but they fit just fine with the tonneau closed.

5. Jun 7, 2022 at 1:48 PM
    krashr

krashr New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra SR5
    Yep the tie down cleats. Thanks for the info.

6. Jun 7, 2022 at 3:01 PM
    Medic343

Medic343 5+4+3=2

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    '22 SR5 TRD off-road
    Great info and thanks for the review. I've been thinking of doing the same as you, the only question I have is any particular reason you went with the roll up instead of the tri-fold? Same price for both models of the SRX. Love to hear your thoughts and reasoning

7. Jun 7, 2022 at 4:17 PM
    hivetyrant

hivetyrant New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Limited Tundra
    For me personally it was once I realized that the trifold would block the rear window and possibly the camera (I think I read that in the main thread). My son LOVES looking out the rear window and as silly as it sounds, I didn't want to take that away when I'm hauling stuff.

Plus the roll up is super light and can be removed really quickly. I wanted something that would take up zero space and wouldn't be noticed when rolled up or folded, but I get the appeal of both.

8. Jun 7, 2022 at 5:18 PM
    hivetyrant

hivetyrant New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Limited Tundra
    No problem! Let me know if you want to know or see anything else

E40F5E85-010F-4403-AB38-138665B2B168.jpg
    8B98B288-EDBC-41CE-8697-6F7C471678A0.jpg

9. Jun 7, 2022 at 11:21 PM
    Troa

Member:
    Nomad
    Vehicle:
    2022 Blueprint Limited
    I have 2 cleats on each side and the front rail. Install the clamps in the rail, then put the cleats back on, then mount the rails.

I went with the roll up over the tri fold because from what I understand, both have to be fully opened or closed while moving and the roll up is much more compact when open. Not blocking the window is also a plus.

It's also really subtle and unintrusive on the bed cam

20220605_193052.jpg

10. Jun 17, 2022 at 5:42 PM
    Medic343

Medic343 5+4+3=2

Member:
    First Name:
    Kenny
    New Mexico
    Vehicle:
    '22 SR5 TRD off-road
    Using your thought process about needing something cheap for the time being and as a first time purchase.

Just finished ordering the SFX tri-fold from RealTruck. It was 10% off and I grabbed another 5% by "chatting with an expert" for a total of 259 shipped.

Troa[OP] and jmay86 like this.
  11. Jun 17, 2022 at 6:38 PM
    jmay86

jmay86 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Columbus, Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '22 Lunar Rock LTD DC TRD-OR
    Wonder if this would work with the Bille Bars bed rack? since the side rails would have to go over the brackets, my guess is there would be some gap issues along the sides...

I'm really trying to avoid buying a Retrax just to get the t-slots when I can get a decent tonneau for a fraction of the price...

12. Jun 17, 2022 at 6:49 PM
    gr8fasushi

gr8fasushi 22 Tundra Limited TRD Off Road

Member:
    it looks way clean. good work

Troa[OP] likes this.
  13. Jun 20, 2022 at 4:11 PM
    Stevie_Keys

Stevie_Keys New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 Tundra Limited
    Do you attach the weather stripping to the truck or the cover? There isn’t any documentation on the weatherstripping.

14. Jun 22, 2022 at 1:03 PM
    Troa

Member:
    Nomad
    Vehicle:
    2022 Blueprint Limited
    I've seen some guys do some weird notching with their tonneau rails to get some aftermarket racks to work, but at the expense of waterproofing. You might be able to get it all sealed back up again with some silicon though. I definitely think you'd want to want to notch the tonneau rails though. If you didnt I think it would cause the cover to be loose since you'd end up bringing the rails closer together about a cm overall. Maybe you could velcro each side a little farther out to keep it tight, but then youd have some extra material hanging past the velcro on the tonneau rails and over your bed rails.

What weatherstripping? You install the tonneau rails directly to the bed rails and that's about it. They have foam/rubber on the inside of the tonneau rail that presses against the bed rails and seals out water. The only "weatherstripping" bits you install yourself are the foam plugs up on the bulkhead and some foam pads on the back that get squished in when the tailgate is closed

15. Nov 16, 2022 at 10:31 AM
    iiawah808

iiawah808 New Member

Member:
    Oahu, HI
    Vehicle:
    2022 iForce Tundra Limited TRD Offroad
    Currently Searching....
    I just received my Rough Country soft rollup and it looks exactly like your tonneau cover. Literally everything down o the rubber fillers up front is the exact same thing. I'm sure rough country is just a rebrand. I'm loving mine so far.

Troa[OP] likes this.
  16. Nov 25, 2022 at 3:26 AM
    Troa

Member:
    Nomad
    Vehicle:
    2022 Blueprint Limited
    Had mine for about 6 months now and have loved it, minus the scuffing its done to the paint on the back of the cab where it rubs when rolled up. Pretty sure it'll buff out, but still annoying. Getting a Super Pacific in about a week though so it'll be getting taken off and sold fairly soon

iiawah808 likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top