1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Restoring my old girl to her former glory - Build/Help

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by Prestovie, Apr 22, 2021.

1. Apr 22, 2021 at 7:48 AM
    Prestovie

Prestovie [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Preston
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra Limited AC
    33" BFG KO2's, 2 1/2in Rough Country lift kit, Westin Bull Bar and 20" matching light bar, rattle can primer gray body color.
    Hey all,
    I made a post about this in the general chat but I figured it'd be better to accumulate everything into one build/help thread!
    Backstory:
    I purchased my 2000 Tundra Limited 4X4 AC back in late 2017 with the idea to take it out to Montana with me the next summer. Before I left I ended up throwing on an RC level and BFG KO2's along with a bull bar with matching light bar. Here's how she sat in August of 2018:
    That was peak Tundra for me, it all went literally downhill from there(a few of you may even remember when I was posting about it a few years ago asking for advice). Was going way too fast on a downhill dirt mountain pass and lost control around a corner. Couldn't find traction and ended up hitting my back right tire on a ditch which sent us airborne. Came to rest after three rotations.
    Everybody was okay, ended up having a generous rancher stop by who helped flip me back over. Let the oil sit for 5mins and she started right back up. Drove 30min home on the highway with my head hanging out of the window. Ended up deciding to get the repair done and sourced a Tundra with a rusty frame that wasn't road safe. Had the cab and bed swapped over and replaced mounts.
    This is after the work was done:

Where we are now:
    Well, it's been a couple years since the accident and the repair and unfortunately the Tundra has sat outside for almost that entire time. I did take it out early last year to pick up an elliptical but besides occasionally starting her up she hasn't moved.

My Goal:
    I've finally gotten the spark back to bring my Tundra back to her former glory and make her into a beast of a daily driver. This is the part where I need your guy's help; before I go modifying I want to make sure every little thing is squared away. I've got the timing belt kit on the way, going to do a full fluid flush and plan on Fluid Filming the undercarriage. Luckily the frame was replaced in 2015 so still relatively fresh.
    I want to do everything.
    Wheels, suspension, body work, engine refresh, you name it. This is what I've got so far:
    - Icon Stage 2 coilerover suspension with the add-a-leaf(if my money could be better allocated elsewhere please let me know)
    - Method 305NV Wheels 16x8
    - Bed lining the bed, possibly entire truck

My main concern at the moment, besides all the mechanical things being in check, is the rust. I've got the infamous rear fender rust from those dumb flares. But now it's starting to creep out on the rockers and the back corners of the front fenders. I'm curious if you think it's possible to knock it out myself with some bondo or take it to a shop and have it professionally done.

Timeframe : Before July of this year
    Budget : $5-7k, can stretch if absolutely necessary

Unfortunately there won't be much progress until I can go get the truck over Mother's Day weekend, but I'm planning on keeping this build thread updated with progress and questions.

Thanks guys!

hammeron, kstateskier, Voss and 7 others like this.
  2. Apr 22, 2021 at 7:55 AM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
    Last edited: Apr 22, 2021
  3. Apr 22, 2021 at 8:17 AM
    Wes_heppy

Wes_heppy Trucks...Dirtbikes... Guns...

Member:
    First Name:
    Weston
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra 4x4 4.7
    TC UCA Radflo coilovers Long Tubes LSD
  4. Apr 22, 2021 at 8:20 AM
    Prestovie

Member:
    First Name:
    Preston
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra Limited AC
    33" BFG KO2's, 2 1/2in Rough Country lift kit, Westin Bull Bar and 20" matching light bar, rattle can primer gray body color.
    Haha I appreciate the kind words and suitable name! But thanks for pointing me in that direction, I’m trying my best to find it right now but it seems that his profile is private so I’m having some trouble. Going to keep digging, though!

5. Apr 22, 2021 at 8:23 AM
    Sunnier

Sunnier Pity the warrior that slays all his foes

Member:
    First Name:
    Sunny
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2017 Inferno Tundra DC TRD & Longtravel 1st Gen, Banner/ HulkSmash build
  6. Apr 22, 2021 at 8:34 AM
    Prestovie

Member:
    First Name:
    Preston
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra Limited AC
    Thanks! I think I hit the "keep forever" mark the moment I had the body swap done LOL. Any reason against bed lining the whole truck? My brother did it on his 2000 4Runner and it seems to be holding up, I do miss my gray primer rattle-can job haha. But dang, thanks for the link that is definitely tempting! Any reason for that kit over others? But it needs more than a muffler lol I cut half the exhaust off after the hangers rusted a couple of years ago.

7. Apr 22, 2021 at 8:34 AM
    Prestovie

Member:
    First Name:
    Preston
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra Limited AC
  8. Apr 22, 2021 at 8:38 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    I would try the AAL from Wheelers over ICON. Better reviews.

Sunnier and speedtre like this.
  9. Apr 22, 2021 at 8:47 AM
    Prestovie

Member:
    First Name:
    Preston
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra Limited AC
    Would you mind dropping a link? Having trouble finding them

10. Apr 22, 2021 at 8:54 AM
    FirstGenVol

FirstGenVol Brake Czar

Member:
    East TN
    Vehicle:
    2002 AC
    Here you go! If you really want to see a lift in the rear, leave your overload spring in place. Otherwise it could be a crapshoot. I did the Icon AAL and I followed their instructions by removing the AAL and got zero lift.

11. Apr 22, 2021 at 9:21 AM
    Wes_heppy

Member:
    First Name:
    Weston
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra 4x4 4.7
    No reason against bed lining the whole thing i guess. Just not very common but if done right, i guess it could turn out nice. Icon is good too, but i have heard some bad things about their longevity and customer service in the past. Also Icon uses a digressive valving whereas radflo, fox, king and most other higher end kits use a progressive valving. Read up on it. I am also a little biased because i have those radflos and am very happy with them. I have the icon 3 leaf add a leaf on mine and i left the overload spring that it says to take out in-order to achieve any lift. Wont get any lift if you take it out.

12. Apr 22, 2021 at 10:37 AM
    Prestovie

Member:
    First Name:
    Preston
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra Limited AC
    Well dang, thanks for laying out the differences for me! I'll definitely keep digging on suspension then, going to follow your bias on the radflows haha

Wes_heppy[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. Apr 22, 2021 at 2:05 PM
    rock climber

rock climber New Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2001 Sequoia 4X4, 2000 AC 4X4
    First thing I'd do is all preventative maintenance stuff, fluids, spark plugs, clean throttle body and mass air flow sensor, check the ball joints, cv axles and all other rubber parts (bushings, sway bar links).

Depending on your off-road goals, the Icon or radflo could be overkill. A super solid, but more intermediate cost options would be either Bilstein 5100, 6112 or old man emu.

I second not bedliner because the paint still looks pretty good in the pics. I'll bet with a good cleaning and buffing it could look really nice. If not, I've seen some bedliner jobs that look really good. The pic I attached is the best one I've seen.

Love the wheels you've chosen.

Mica Green Raptor Lined Tundra.jpg

N84434, bmf4069, Sunnier and 3 others like this.
  14. Apr 22, 2021 at 2:54 PM
    Prestovie

Member:
    First Name:
    Preston
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra Limited AC
    Appreciate the in depth to-do list, any idea if anyone sells either one big kit or separate ones to get everything taken care of? I totally understand where you're coming from with the suspension being overkill, guess I'm just after the most comfortable/capable ride all around but it will be mainly used around town.
    Also I don't think the picture I took did buy paint justice in regards to how bad it is haha, it has clear coat failure on about every panel, that is a killer job on the one you attached! But thanks, I'm definitely excited about the wheels too!
    Curious if you think I should go wider on the wheels, though? I'm running BFG KO2 285/75/r16's, the Methods are 16x8's like stock

Wes_heppy likes this.
  15. Apr 23, 2021 at 7:25 AM
    Wes_heppy

Member:
    First Name:
    Weston
    Vehicle:
    2003 tundra 4x4 4.7
    Another suspension option that is super tough and high quality but for cheaper is old man emu (OME) If you aren’t going to get crazy off road, this is a popular choice. I thing those methods are already nice and would stick with them. That’s a good tire size also.

Take a look. 1/2 the price and a super solid kit. Oh also don’t forget that if you are lifting it anything more than 2ish inches you’ll want a diff drop too for cv shaft angle correction.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2021
    Prestovie[QUOTED][OP] and N84434 like this.
  16. Apr 23, 2021 at 11:54 AM
    Prestovie

Member:
    First Name:
    Preston
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra Limited AC
    Thanks for dropping the link! I supposed I was kind of reaching with those more off-road specific setups, I've always heard great things about OME but never checked them out until now! And thanks for reminding me about the diff drop

Wes_heppy[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Apr 23, 2021 at 12:25 PM
    Prestovie

Member:
    First Name:
    Preston
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra Limited AC
    EBC Brakes on the way along with the timing belt kit :thumbsup:
    Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 2.23.29 PM.jpg

18. Apr 23, 2021 at 1:19 PM
    Prestovie

Member:
    First Name:
    Preston
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra Limited AC
    Let's finally get some light output! LED conversion on its way as well as a new wiring harness for the 20" light bar
    Screen Shot 2021-04-23 at 3.16.41 PM.jpg

KNABORES likes this.
  19. May 9, 2021 at 10:02 AM
    Prestovie

Member:
    First Name:
    Preston
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tundra Limited AC
    Well, friendly reminder to replace your timing belt at/before the given interval! New belt in as well as coolant flush done
    46DA1405-DD7B-49D1-95AE-D8B7608F63EC.jpg

20. May 9, 2021 at 11:54 AM
    empty_lord

empty_lord They see me rollin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    if youre wanting a decent suspension for cheap. bilstein 5100s with OME 886 springs and energy suspension isolators is what i run. the ride is like a dream. fits my skinny 33s with zero rub too. diff drop isnt a bad idea. but i personally dont run one.

bmf4069 and KarmaKannon like this.
  21. May 9, 2021 at 3:53 PM
    Hny_Bdgr

Hny_Bdgr New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    black 2000 toyota tundra sr5 v8 4x4
    If it fits it ships
    find a new bed is the best way to get rid of the rust and the fender flares are easy to take off i take mine off twice a year and wash underneath

Products Discussed in

To Top