1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replacing my rear axle from my CC with an axle from a DC

Discussion in '1st Gen Tundras (2000-2006)' started by MeeHungWayLo, Oct 9, 2021.

1. Oct 9, 2021 at 8:37 PM
    MeeHungWayLo

MeeHungWayLo [OP] New Member

Member:
    Portland, OR.
    Vehicle:
    2006 Toyota Tundra 4.0 V6 RWD Crew
    Hi, I'm new here to Forums anyhow. I know how to work on cars I just don't know everything about them.
    So I know the 2006 RWD double cab rear axle is a couple inches longer than the 2006 RWD Crew cab rear axle.
    I know this because I bought a replacement axle before looking to see if there was any differences in them.
    I couldn't pass it up man for 50 bucks shoot, I take that chance anytime.
    So my question is what are my options?
    I know there's a difference in the gear ratios and I also know that the axles are like an inch longer on each side.
    I do a lot of hauling and loading heavy loads in my truck, so my question is the higher gear ratio better for hauling loaded trailers and loaded trucks? and and can I just pull the axles out and swap out the guts and then put the axles back in?
    I really need to get my truck back on the road I don't have $800 to $1,200 to buy a used axle.

2. Oct 9, 2021 at 9:35 PM
    alb1k

alb1k Always Coming From Take Me Down

Member:
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    05 2WD DC w/ attitude
    It's good
    The toyo experts will have better insight. The 2 " can be overcome. The questions I have are:
    Do leaf spring pads line up?
    Brake line fit (Im sure it could be adapted)?
    Drive shaft connect the same?
    Are brakes the same?
    Probably more. Sorry I'm not a big help.

3. Oct 10, 2021 at 11:43 AM
    MeeHungWayLo

Member:
    Portland, OR.
    Vehicle:
    I'm about to roll it up behind it and check. I heard everything was the same by the hundreds of forums I read

4. Oct 10, 2021 at 1:43 PM
    assassin10000

assassin10000 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    '05 SR5 AC
    Remote start alarm Removed keyless entry piezo Qi phone charger & dash mount Subaru underseat subwoofer Hopkins Easylift Steering wheel audio controls No-tenna mod 3/4 adhesive anti-rattle shim D/S door
    The 3rd member can be swapped. I did.

2wd & 4wd have different pinion flanges (also possibly DC vs AC). So you may have to swap the pinion flange to use your driveshaft.

No idea on spring pad placement. It can be done, even of you have to cut and weld the mounts over. It just depends on your skillset.

5. Oct 11, 2021 at 1:06 PM
    MeeHungWayLo

Member:
    Portland, OR.
    Vehicle:
    @assassin10000 could you tell me what all l'lI need to do to the swap? Materials and supplies I mean and also this one has LSD if that makes a difference.

6. Oct 11, 2021 at 1:23 PM
    MeeHungWayLo

Member:
    Portland, OR.
    Vehicle:
    @alb1k so far as I can tell,
    1) Everyone is right about the pinion flange. It is a lot thicker but the distance measured seems the same. Not sure how I got that measurement. I think I measured from the rear axle (2wd) carrier bearing to the flange. Came up with the same measurement.
    2) Everything from the leaf spring measures exactly the same towards the center if the axle. It appears that the extra inch on each side is from the leaf springs out.
    3) I think I'll need to buy the longer e-brake cables because I'm not sure how far out the cables can be adjusted.
    4) same with the brake lines. Wait it already has the brake lines attached. As far as the brakes go they would just attach to the brake line at the center of the housing and then I would have brakes I'm hoping.

Now what I want to know from anyone that has swapped out the inner guts io a rearend I'm guessing is called a 3rd member or a pumpkin. Is does it take any special tools? Are you supposed to replace any parts with new while you are in there? I'll definitely watch some videos now but would it be easier to just see if this Double Cab rearend will just bolt on to my Crew Cab with minimal difficulty like purchasing new e-brake cable and flange swap out?
    Oh yeah. Double Cab rearend has LSD and mine does not

7. Oct 11, 2021 at 3:27 PM
    assassin10000

assassin10000 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    '05 SR5 AC
    Remote start alarm Removed keyless entry piezo Qi phone charger & dash mount Subaru underseat subwoofer Hopkins Easylift Steering wheel audio controls No-tenna mod 3/4 adhesive anti-rattle shim D/S door
    New diff gasket (oem toyota recommended). 3-4 qts of diff fluid. Brake fluid of your choice. New pinion seal if you're going to swap the flange (different bolt pattern).

LSD or non-lsd the axle splines are the same. They interchange (3rd member/center housing) with no issues. That is why I put a DC (double cab/crew cab) diff in my AC (access cab/extended cab).

3rd is fairly easy to pull. Put rear on stands, remove wheels, drain fluid. Disconnect park brake cables (unclips), undo 4 axle/brake assy retaining nuts, undo brake line and slide axle/brakes out as an assembly. Undo driveshaft and 10 center nuts to pull 3rd member out.

You'll need a line wrench to undo the brake hard lines from the wheel cylinders.

***** Important: a torque wrench for tightening the pinion nut properly (don't forget to stake it either). If this is done wrong it'll kill the pinion bearings in short order.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2021
  8. Oct 21, 2021 at 8:24 PM
    alb1k

alb1k Always Coming From Take Me Down

Member:
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    05 2WD DC w/ attitude
    It's good
    I wonder how this went.

MeeHungWayLo[OP] likes this.
  9. Oct 21, 2021 at 10:25 PM
    MeeHungWayLo

Member:
    Portland, OR.
    Vehicle:
    @assassin10000 thanks man, couldn't believe how easy it was. Pull out the axles 8"s, pop out the pumpkin and slide the new/used 3rd member in and pop the axles back in. Attach the driveline back up because it fit perfectly without replacing the pinion flange. Bleed the brakes, fill the gear oil. And test drive the next morning.
    . Beautiful, and quick. I mean that shit is fast off the line. Kept traction well also. Pretty sweet for my first rear end swap and getting schooled on how to do it in the forums.
    Couple days later the chucking noise it first started making when I needed to replace the rear u-joint. Going to crawl under there and take a look in the morning.
    Anyhow my buddy said it would have looked Beast if I swapped out the whole axle and had 2"s wider in the back. Any thoughts on this?

10. Oct 22, 2021 at 1:43 PM
    assassin10000

assassin10000 New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Andrew
    Northern CA
    Vehicle:
    '05 SR5 AC
    Glad it worked.

Eh, maybe if you did a long travel front end to match. Otherwise I wouldn't bother.

Products Discussed in

To Top