1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Replacement catalytic converters

Discussion in 'Dirty Deeds Industries' started by Rabbit, Jul 5, 2022.

1. Jul 5, 2022 at 11:14 PM
    Rabbit

Rabbit [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Vehicle:
    2020 Tundra Extended Cab quick sand
    TSS Off-Road Sp Ed Pkg - Black with 20” Matte Black Wheels All Terrain Tires 5” Black Oval Step Tube Black Exhaust Tip Matt Black Badge Overlays Cargo Bed Light Spray-on Bedliner Power Tailgate Lock wheel locks 38 gallon fuel tank Front Bucket Seats with Center Console
    Last week my 2020 Tundra had both left and right side catalytic converters stolen. The Baytown TX police told me they were called out in May for 108 Tundra‘s stolen catalytic converter‘s. They went on to say Toyota‘s Tundra Tacoma and Prius in particular are the hottest ones in the Houston TX area. Today I received the estimate to repair and replace which is $6,800. The biggest problem is parts availability. At minimum it will be mid August before OEM parts are available however some say it’s taking longer. I did hear today Toyota dealers are installing aftermarket catalytic converter‘s. Does anyone know of a reliable aftermarket catalytic converter I can buy. It will be months before OEM parts will be available. If anyone has any ideas please help. Thank you

2. Jul 6, 2022 at 1:00 AM
    Zoso

Zoso New Member

Member:
    SE Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement DC LTD
    Rabbit[OP] likes this.
  3. Jul 6, 2022 at 5:37 AM
    Jbehredt

Jbehredt Burgeoning member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jason
    Westminster, CO
    Vehicle:
    2020 TRD Pro DC White
    Why can’t a muffler shop just weld in a section of pipe until the oem parts come in? Serious question I’ve wondered about when seein trucks parked with looooong wait times. It’s my plan when/if mine wander off. I know it would throw codes and sound like garbage but is there a geometry or physics issue at hand?

Rabbit[OP] likes this.
  4. Jul 6, 2022 at 5:47 AM
    Mr.bee

Mr.bee King Turdra

Member:
    SATX
    Vehicle:
    '02 AC TRD
    I know of a shop in south houston that'll pass inspections if you ask nicely. Way back when it was an extra $10.

Rabbit[OP] and FrenchToasty like this.
  5. Jul 6, 2022 at 5:59 AM
    HTXtundra4x4

HTXtundra4x4 Texas

Member:
    Katy, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 SR5 CM MGM
    You can do just that. That's what I did. It does sound like shit, but can't hardly tell with the windows up. There is also a way to keep the codes from being set.

Rabbit[OP] and Jbehredt[QUOTED] like this.
  6. Jul 7, 2022 at 11:48 AM
    Rabbit

Rabbit [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Vehicle:
    TSS Off-Road Sp Ed Pkg - Black with 20” Matte Black Wheels All Terrain Tires 5” Black Oval Step Tube Black Exhaust Tip Matt Black Badge Overlays Cargo Bed Light Spray-on Bedliner Power Tailgate Lock wheel locks 38 gallon fuel tank Front Bucket Seats with Center Console
    It’s first time I’ve ever had anything like this happen. There’s so many aftermarket‘s out there I thought I had two now I have four I really can’t afford to wait 3 to 6 months for an OEM even though I have insurance it’ll only cover a rental car so long and analyze what to do. For the first time in my life I made a loss.

7. Jul 7, 2022 at 12:07 PM
    Malinois38

Malinois38 New Member

Member:
    Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2022 Platinum Hybrid WCP
    I had a cat go bad in my 2008. Replaced it with a Walker cat and have had zero issues, no codes etc.
    I actually have an extra one. Shoot me a PM, if interested.

Rabbit[OP] likes this.
  8. Jul 7, 2022 at 12:22 PM
    vtl

vtl New Member

Member:
    Boston 'burbs
    Vehicle:
    19 Red SR5
    I run Magnaflow in my other vehicle, for about 5 years or so. Still good, no emission problems.

Zoso and Rabbit[OP] like this.
  9. Jul 18, 2022 at 3:03 PM
    Rabbit

Rabbit [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Vehicle:
    I might just need (confidentially of course) the contact info for that place in S.Houston. Looking at the big picture and how long it takes for parts the cost of renting a vehicle additional 3 to 9 months is cost prohibitive so I went with an aftermarket from flowmaster which is good for 49 states so I was told. The work was done at a local shop not far from where I live in Pearland Texas. I crawled under there to see how it looks and I was thoroughly impressed. The check engine light code went away immediately. Everything is running like brand new. I hope it holds.
    I was just getting ready to trade for a new one. I’m not sure if that’s legal with aftermarket cats or not. Anybody know the answer, please?
    Thank you all for your help!

YardBird likes this.
  10. Jul 18, 2022 at 3:05 PM
    Rabbit

Rabbit [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Darrell
    Vehicle:
    Thank you Zoso! I love that cement color. It’s a beautiful truck!

Zoso likes this.
  11. Jul 19, 2022 at 12:50 AM
    Zoso

Zoso New Member

Member:
    SE Georgia
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement DC LTD
    No problem. Good luck.

12. Mar 19, 2023 at 12:04 PM
    sctomfar

sctomfar Chasing 700RWHP

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Bluffton, SC
    Vehicle:
    Supercharged Reg cab
    Harrop 2650 supercharger TRD suspension TRD intake Custom exhaust Dirtydeeds cross pipe Fully built bottom end motor Manly Rods Crowder Pistons ARB Stud Kit National Speed Tuned Redesigned fuel system XAT Fuel Rails Twin Demon Fuel Pumps 83cc Injectors Morimoto Headlights
    I went with performance cats ( not much in there ) and I’m good in my state. It’s louder and faster and with my headers and exhaust it’s obnoxious. That’s what I was going for. Now to upgrade the sound system.

Products Discussed in

To Top