1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Regear for towing.

Discussion in 'Towing & Hauling' started by drummer, Mar 19, 2019.

1. Mar 19, 2019 at 12:55 PM
    drummer

drummer [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 1794
    None. Yet.
    Long time lurker. Just sold my 05 double cab Tundra. Great truck but it lacked in the towing arena. It had Bilstein lift, progressive leaf pack and airbags. Stock engine and factory limited slip.

Just got a 16 1794. Very impressive truck. I want to put an OME lift, progressive leaf spring pack and airbags. We tow our enclosed trailer. It has extra height and it weighs between5 to 6000 pounds depending g on load.

Lots of snowmobiling so we need to get into some pretty drifted over snow parks, iced over mountain roads, etc. I will be adding a limited slip, probably an auburn as it looks like the only thing available.

I want to run a bit larger tires. They will be mud tires and load range E. my question is, would 4.88 be a benifit?

Currently it tows running mostly in 5th gear. Dealer put crummy Westlake tires on it and I think they run a little small, about 31.5". If I go with a 33x12.50 in a bfg that puts me at just under 33"

Should I just use tow/haul and keep it in 5th or would 4.88 let the truck run in 6th?

Thanks for your input.

2. Mar 19, 2019 at 1:09 PM
    15whtrd

15whtrd Mr. Blonde

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    White 2015 Tundra DC SR5 TRD 4x4 5.7L, White 2003 Sequoia 2WD
    TRD Pro suspension, +2 Coachbuilder shackles, 2015 TRD Pro headlights, 20% ceramic tinted windows, clear ceramic tinted front windshield, aFe drop in pro s dry air filter, TRD airflow accelerator, TRD oil fill cap, TRD 18 psi radiator cap, BDX Bullydog tuner, Weathertech floor mats front and rear, rear seat fold down mod, DNA hard trifold tonneau cover, Linex with uv protection, TRD rear swaybar, TRD center caps, TRD Pro grille insert with color matching surround and bulge, TRD PRO headlights, aluminum oil filter canister, Real truck tailgate seal, Pop-n-lock tailgate lock actuator, rear diff breather relocate, RCI front skid plate. 275/70 R18 BFG KO2s
    Here is a chart to help you decide. The stock gears are 4.30s stock tires are right at 32 inches. It’s probably unnecessary for you to do a gear swap when only jumping up an inch. But 4.88 will give you the option to jump up a little larger if you like and help you tow. You will feel they heavier tires. I say get the tires you want before deciding on the gears. Go tow your trailer around and see if it’s feeling the way you want it to.
    But I guess you definitely need to make that decision before you have them install a limited slip. Although I find that the auto fake LSD in the truck has worked every time I’ve needed it too. DC3E67C6-44C0-46AC-8AC8-975D985CB497.jpg

Stormtrooper81 likes this.
  3. Mar 19, 2019 at 8:41 PM
    drummer

drummer [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 1794
    None. Yet.
    That chart doesn't take into account the overdrive gearing of the transmission. I guess what I am asking is, does anyone tow with 4.88 gears and 33s?

Products Discussed in

To Top