1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Reduciug tire noise!!!

Discussion in '2.5 Gen Tundras (2014-2021)' started by HarrazH, Jun 9, 2021.

1. Jun 9, 2021 at 10:38 PM
    HarrazH

HarrazH [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hany
    Vehicle:
    2019 Platinum Tundra
    TRD Pro Intake TRD Pro exhaust system Tail gate lights and lock LEDs everywhere 295/55-R20
    Hey guys, need your help.
    I went through a lot of posts and forums but still not sure what is the best to do.

My truck is my daily use truck, I use it mainly on highway, sound coming from my tires is very high (around 74db at 65MPH, while on idle its around 48db), I know that replacing the tires will solve most of my problem, except that where I live there is almost no replacement to the same size I have, and also it will be expensive (tires have a few years to go still).

My target is start with the wheel well, I checked options and found CLD tiles but I don't believe they do it anymore, there is a blog on reddit checking for alternatives, the other option was the Spectrum spray-on as an easy option, other forums are talking about Dynamat sheets + MLV.

I'm not sure if any has done this before but would really appreciate yoru help , need some guidance on where to start and are the best options material and brands ) to consider.

2. Jun 9, 2021 at 10:45 PM
    TILLY

TILLY Gently Used Member

Member:
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    2019 MGM TRD Sport D/C

What tires are you running now?

3. Jun 9, 2021 at 11:27 PM
    empty_lord

empty_lord They see me rollin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    Pulling the wheel liners and putting some kind of fabric on the back side of the liners (I don’t know what it is though) like the higher end cars can help kill noise. Then lock panel and firewall area some foam will kill higher frequency tire noise

4. Jun 9, 2021 at 11:46 PM
    HarrazH

HarrazH [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hany
    Vehicle:
    2019 Platinum Tundra
    TRD Pro Intake TRD Pro exhaust system Tail gate lights and lock LEDs everywhere 295/55-R20
    Tires are the EXO Grappler AWT 295/55 R20.

Plan is to start with the wheel wells, I have't thought of the firewall. Now the question is what is the best materials for that (brands?) will it make any deference?

5. Jun 9, 2021 at 11:52 PM
    empty_lord

empty_lord They see me rollin'

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Indiana, Chicagoland
    Vehicle:
    05 rollover special
    custom body work, Billies with taco ARB springs, Icon AAL, TRD FJ trail team wheels, 2019 Toyota 86 radio, Blacked out interior, Added factory power everything, heater mirrors, ETC
    I’ve used dynamat in the past. But from what I hear they’re all pretty good. Noco comes highly recommended to me by friends these days for the deadener. As for a closed cell foam for sound absorption, I’ve got nothin right now

6. Jun 10, 2021 at 12:24 AM
    HarrazH

HarrazH [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hany
    Vehicle:
    2019 Platinum Tundra
    HAve you heard anything about secondskinaudio? is there Spectrum Sound deadening spray-on any good? or should I stick with using cell foam or MLV?

7. Jun 10, 2021 at 12:45 AM
    GNTundra

GNTundra The Notorious Troll Sniper

Member:
    First Name:
    Gino
    Vehicle:
    2013 White
  8. Jun 10, 2021 at 4:04 AM
    AverageJoe

AverageJoe New Member

Member:
    DFW TX
    Vehicle:
    21 DC SR 4WD
  9. Jun 10, 2021 at 4:52 AM
    HarrazH

HarrazH [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hany
    Vehicle:
    2019 Platinum Tundra
    Thank you very much, I checked that already.
    Did you notice any reduction for the noise coming from the tires is any?

10. Jun 10, 2021 at 5:01 AM
    AverageJoe

AverageJoe New Member

Member:
    DFW TX
    Vehicle:
    21 DC SR 4WD
    Have not done it yet, just doing the research now but will do a before/after decibel test. However, it won't be happening for at least a few months so I cannot help you right now.

Not sure what your sound expectations are but can say the Tundra is a little quieter than our 2018 Equinox on most surfaces.

11. Jun 10, 2021 at 5:03 AM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    Upgrade your stereo. Best and most rewarding way to cancel out road noise.

legiz, WILLINH, 2mchfun and 1 other person like this.
  12. Jun 10, 2021 at 5:08 AM
    timsp8

timsp8 Former Tundra owner for 13 years

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tundra Limited Crewmax - Traded In
    How do your tires make 48db of sound at idle?

Tires add to noise, but there are other components too - engine, exhaust, wind. Like others said, look into the sound deadening. There are some threads about it with how to do it and results.

13. Jun 10, 2021 at 5:12 AM
    HarrazH

HarrazH [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hany
    Vehicle:
    2019 Platinum Tundra
    I guess so, I think I will end up replacing the tires and get over with it.

Already started that! but I still like to have quite trips every now and then :)

14. Jun 10, 2021 at 5:45 AM
    2mchfun

2mchfun Yeah it'll pull it, just don't expect to stop!

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Vehicle:
    2021 White 4x4 CM Trail Ed. 2018 White 4x4 4Runner SR5 Premium
    Seat covers, dash mat, ext. Trans. Cooler, sumo springs, oem pwr fld tow mirrors
    Why mess with road noise? There is an easy answer, crank up some Ozzy, Scorpions, or Van Halen and mash the gas. A little good beef jerky helps too. Your brain just needs to get distracted by good talent, watching where you are going at a rapid clip, and savory flavor. Road noise don't even exist in my world.

HarrazH[OP] likes this.
  15. Jun 10, 2021 at 5:52 AM
    HarrazH

HarrazH [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hany
    Vehicle:
    2019 Platinum Tundra
    I meant I'm getting a reading of 48db (not using a very accurate tool) when on idle, no tires at all!

16. Jun 10, 2021 at 6:03 AM
    Stumpjumper

Stumpjumper New Member

Member:
    Fate, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tundra TSS 4x4
    I you have not driven a Hyundai SUV then you have not heard road noise. Discount tire put the wrong tires on one of my Tacomas. Instead of Duratracs they put on Goodyear MTRs. I have run some aggressive mud tires but I think the MTRs were the worse.

17. Jun 10, 2021 at 6:09 AM
    Nowhereman

Nowhereman New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Al
    Monterey Bay area
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tundra SR5 / TRD / Cement
    Rough Country shocks, ReTrax cover, Summo springs, black out badging, bed extender, "some other things I can't mention"
    Way back in my younger days as an electro-mechanical engineer, I was doing cutting edge stuff for a number of electronic firms.
    We had an issue with selling servers overseas which was more political than anything else. Anyway, the push back they gave us was that our servers made too much fan noise while running than their acceptance for this type of product.
    Well, doing various neat stuff for the armed services from time to time knew that we could produce a circuit that listened to any noise type that was emanating from an enclosure and generate "anti noise" or noise specifically timed with opposite frequencies.
    What the result was, was heard by the human ear as a slight, very slight hiss.
    When we presented this to the overseas governing group for this kind of stuff, they got real frustrated because they couldn't hear anything but the SPL hadn't changed.
    They had to rewrite their acceptance rules on fan noise because of what we did.
    Later on, I think Maytag incorporated our circuit into their top end dishwasher to eliminate motor noise.
    It works well and some auto manufactures have used in for sound abatement in cabins over the years. (Cadillac, Lexis, Mercedes, I can't remember who)
    The aftermarket peeps need to come out with a user installed circuit that wires into your sound system.
    With this thing on, all you will here is a very faint hiss you can easily talk over.
    It monitors a million times a second and changes frequencies as needed to sound changes.
    It works, just ask any Navy Sub commander.

AverageJoe likes this.
  18. Jun 10, 2021 at 6:16 AM
    dkrou

dkrou New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    dan
    Vehicle:
    2019 tundra
    I stripped everything out of the truck and did soundskins on the doors and back wall.... that helped then I put a foil backed foam on the floor with a mass loaded vinyl on top of that. It is way better but now will be searching for tires that have a better road noise rating. There is no cheap and easy solution for this unfortunately. I have put a lot into my sound system so this was all worth it for me. Lots of work and expense...

19. Jun 10, 2021 at 6:23 AM
    HarrazH

HarrazH [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hany
    Vehicle:
    2019 Platinum Tundra

That some interesting stuff, now you mention it, Bose in my 2014 GMC Sierra had that to reduce the engine sound!

20. Jun 10, 2021 at 6:26 AM
    HarrazH

HarrazH [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hany
    Vehicle:
    2019 Platinum Tundra
    Sound skin suggested that I only use their spray-on spectrum in the wheel well, do you have any experience with it? they said 3 to 5 db reduction if I just did that!

21. Jun 10, 2021 at 6:27 AM
    WILLINH

WILLINH New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BILL
    NEW HAMPTON, NH
    2019 TUNDRA
    I commute 75-80 miles per day. I Am getting close to replacing my tire's. I am looking at Continental H/T or Michelin Defenders LTX OR MAYBE Continental A/T they are all very quiet. I also have a set of rims and snows for the winter as we get our share of snow here.

22. Jun 10, 2021 at 6:33 AM
    HarrazH

HarrazH [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hany
    Vehicle:
    2019 Platinum Tundra
    Challenge with new tires is that I can't find size that works with my current setup (at least I'm not sure), I'm also looking for AT tires for the looks and rare mountain offroad .
    My current is 295/55 R20, going to 60 is going to be risky!

Products Discussed in

To Top