1. Welcome to Tundras.com!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tundra discussion topics
    • Transfer over your build thread from a different forum to this one
    • Communicate privately with other Tundra owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Recon headlight wiring

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by smslavin, Jul 16, 2017.

1. Jul 16, 2017 at 6:50 AM
    smslavin

smslavin [OP] Behind a lens...

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    I've been digging around the past couple of days trying to figure this out. I'm close but still missing something. After asking on another forum without response, I'm hoping that someone here might be able to point me in the right direction.

The Recon tailights and 3rd brake light went in without issue. Except for the moment where I fat fingered the nut and dropped it into the roof...

The headlights are not doing what they should be. Since I don't have DRLs, just the always on amber, I had cut off the Recon harness and hardwire. I took their black and grounded to the factory grounds on the fenders. I took their red and used a t-tap connector into the one of the wires on the amber bulb. Purple on the driver side and pink on the passenger. With that, the Recon eyebrows light up with the ambers and then both shut off when the headlights are on.

My issue is that now the eyebrows blink with the turn signals.

I'm guessing I need to take the Recon hot wires and tap them into the ignition. What is the best way to do that? I could use an add-a-fuse but I don't think I can take both hots into a single add-a-fuse. Can I? I've never been super strong on the wiring side of things but I'm trying to learn and get better at it.

Any pointers would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jsena likes this.
  2. Jul 16, 2017 at 9:54 AM
    bobeast

bobeast really old member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Hollister, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC
    - Bull Bar - LED Bunny Burners - AMP retractable running boards - Headlight leveling retrofit - P3 Brake Controller - 60% rear seat delete - relocation of Sub to rear wall - Bilstein 5100 x4, top setting with 2 shims per side - Coach builder +2 rear shackles w/carrier bearing drop - Firestone Air bags - on-board compressor with auto-leveling - Dual Undercover Swing Boxes. - P285/65/R20 (34.6") BFG TA KO2's - TRD Front skid plate - Pop & Lock Tailgate lock - Remote Tailgate mod - LED Headlights - Nav Bypass - iPhone integration - Serius/XM retrofit - 25% front tint - Bizon electric tonneau cover - Power folding tow mirror upgrade - 2010+ leveling Headlight mod - Auto-fold mirror mod. - one-touch lane changer mod - Flash to open garage opener mod - Rigid H/L fog light upgrade - Pushbutton / Remote start mod.
    The front parking lights on the Tundra are muti-plexed with the turn signals inside the Turn signal flasher module, under the dash. If you want front turn signals without the always-on amber you have to cut the thin gray wire (pin 5) going into the turn signal flasher harness. Then you need to wire the eyebrows into an ignition source.

Jsena likes this.
  3. Jul 16, 2017 at 11:04 AM
    smslavin

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    Thanks for the reply.

I don't mind the always on amber. I just don't want the eyebrows blinking. Do I need 2 separate ignition sources or can I take both eyebrows into the same source?

Jsena likes this.
  4. Jul 16, 2017 at 11:05 AM
    bobeast

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Hollister, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC
    - Bull Bar - LED Bunny Burners - AMP retractable running boards - Headlight leveling retrofit - P3 Brake Controller - 60% rear seat delete - relocation of Sub to rear wall - Bilstein 5100 x4, top setting with 2 shims per side - Coach builder +2 rear shackles w/carrier bearing drop - Firestone Air bags - on-board compressor with auto-leveling - Dual Undercover Swing Boxes. - P285/65/R20 (34.6") BFG TA KO2's - TRD Front skid plate - Pop & Lock Tailgate lock - Remote Tailgate mod - LED Headlights - Nav Bypass - iPhone integration - Serius/XM retrofit - 25% front tint - Bizon electric tonneau cover - Power folding tow mirror upgrade - 2010+ leveling Headlight mod - Auto-fold mirror mod. - one-touch lane changer mod - Flash to open garage opener mod - Rigid H/L fog light upgrade - Pushbutton / Remote start mod.
    My guess is, those eyebrows don't draw a lot of current. You should be able to run them off a single source.

Jsena likes this.
  5. Jul 16, 2017 at 11:07 AM
    smslavin

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    Coolest. I'll run up the street, grab an add-a-fuse and give it a shot. Thanks for the input.

Jsena likes this.
  6. Jul 16, 2017 at 11:14 AM
    bobeast

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Hollister, CA
    Vehicle:
    2008 DC
    np. Let us know how it goes.

Jsena likes this.
  7. Jul 16, 2017 at 1:13 PM
    smslavin

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Hudson Valley
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tundra CrewMax SR5
    Some stuff
    Works like a champ now. Used the 10A ignition fuse slot. Put in a 7.5A fuse for the lights.

eziiY_M8UOX2U2WzrEOqdmPAZUQvi9WDr8jIum8T_fedd718fa38086452d381956baf2e3ea22993c90.jpg

Really appreciate the pointers Bob. Thanks. Hope you're out enjoying the weekend.

bobeast and Jsena like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top